Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have found its incredibly hard to come back to. I played through all but witch 5 and 6 and took a break, then when I tried to play again I just couldn't get into it. Also witch 5 and 6 suuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Invictus posted:

I have found its incredibly hard to come back to. I played through all but witch 5 and 6 and took a break, then when I tried to play again I just couldn't get into it. Also witch 5 and 6 suuuuuuck
Checking the options again, Snapdragon+ will absolutely carry you, especially in combination with Sun Beam+. Witch loves builds that don't care about which dice you throw into the spells, so you can use the specific values for setting up your book and refreshing spells instead, and "odds go here, evens go there" is a pretty decent substitute. (Also makes it easier to get the best use out of Mirror Cauldron.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 2, 2021

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

The Inventor's Halloween scenario is the by far the best of the bunch.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Going through this on Switch steadily. I've only beaten Ep. 1 on everyone but Witch and the Secret character, though I've taken Warrior up to 5. I'm giving myself 5 tries before trying a new episode. Do episodes have to be beaten chronologically or is that my own madness?

Warrior Ep 3 took me the full 5 tries, but I got it on the last one with the pretty solid strategy of stacking iron shields. I was going in with a battle axe and a dagger, but I eventually did find a Shield Bash and that sealed the game for me. I learned to take a 2nd weapon, after nearly tying with a loud bird. I think we fought 20 minutes, as I could only hit it when it didn't manage to use Dodge. In that time I had accumulated over 220 shield.

It's a nice little game, not quite a full-fledged deck-builder, which is good for me, but it does feel like there are items that just aren't any good. I'm going to keep at it.

What's the deal with Ep. 5 though? Everything's different.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anything goes, pretty much, outside of requirements like "beat every class's levels up to level 4 to unlock a thing, encounter This Guy x amount of times to unlock a thing" etc

level 5 is the "flip the script" level where the rules are all over the place instead of what you're used to. it's a neat thing that they put way too much effort into for only a single level for each character

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Been awhile since I’ve played but though I’d take a look at my stats to see where I last left off.

Warrior, Thief are complete
Robot just has Episode 3 left
Inventor has Episodes 3-6 left
Witch has Episodes 4-6 left
Character 6 has Episodes 4-6 left

Been playing on Switch so there’s no mods or extra content (which would have helped on some of these I’ve been stuck on). Been trying to tackle the rest of the Witch’s episodes first since Inventor and Robot have been more of the frustrating ones so far.

Got quite attached to this game a few months back so hopefully I can ease back into it a bit here.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

anything goes, pretty much, outside of requirements like "beat every class's levels up to level 4 to unlock a thing, encounter This Guy x amount of times to unlock a thing" etc

level 5 is the "flip the script" level where the rules are all over the place instead of what you're used to. it's a neat thing that they put way too much effort into for only a single level for each character

Cool thanks.

My initial impressions were Thief is fun, Inventor is fun, don't care much for Robot. I just unlocked the 6th character, so I don't know how they play. I lost my first and only attempt with Witch, but she seems neat. I prefer going per character though. The rules are just different enough that that way I don't have to retrain every stage.

I'm on Warrior's final stage, just 3 floors down, with an ok set-up, a bit too damage heavy for my liking and not defensive enough. I've been adding rules to super painful on fire 6's so I got to keep my dice low.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Witch is by far my least favorite one to play. out of all of them, including the Robot who is LITERALLY BLACKJACK, she is the most luck-based one imo, you can get completely, utterly screwed in ways the other ones feel like they're not capable of being. except maybe jester. but jester is still dumb fun especially when you manage to really go wild with his stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Witch is the sole reason I haven't come back for another playthrough of this game. I've thought about it a few times but every time I remember I'd have to go through Witch again and give up the idea.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This game needs to come out on IOS or Android, or Game Pass, so it can be played on a phone. I can't think of many games that would be a better fit for the platform.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Y'all complaining about Witch are weak.

Except Witch 5. gently caress Witch 5.

To be a little less smug and a little more helpful:
- #1 key tip: Focus on spells that don't care what numbers you throw in (or that your Cauldron can reliably spit out), so you can focus your specific values on getting up the spells you need.
- All Cauldrons are not created equal. Some are, admittedly, just straight up better than others, and some only shine with very specific builds.
- Magic Shield & Hall of Mirrors+ carry Witch. In big fights, build up Shield and stall while you Mirror+ up to absurd numbers of dice.
- Never, ever, ever put a spell on the same die value as the one it uses best. (Hall of Mirrors on 6, etc.)
- You can put a new spell (or even the same spell) into a used slot and it'll refresh the spell, as long as you have dice left to use it. Use this to juggle spell slots if you have a fistful of dice you can't otherwise use.
- If you take advantage of that, you don't need more than one upgraded spell slot, and can use more starting prepared spells so your build gets off the ground quicker.
- Thrown flaming dice deal more damage.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 4, 2021

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I lost way more runs as the witch than anyone else, but also ended up liking the most (or maybe second fav behind jester) after everything started really clicking.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Y'all complaining about Witch are weak.

Except Witch 5. gently caress Witch 5.

To be a little less smug and a little more helpful:
- #1 key tip: Focus on spells that don't care what numbers you throw in (or that your Cauldron can reliably spit out), so you can focus your specific values on getting up the spells you need.
- All Cauldrons are not created equal. Some are, admittedly, just straight up better than others, and some only shine with very specific builds.
- Magic Shield & Hall of Mirrors+ carry Witch. In big fights, build up Shield and stall while you Mirror+ up to absurd numbers of dice.
- Never, ever, ever put a spell on the same die value as the one it uses best. (Hall of Mirrors on 6, etc.)
- You can put a new spell (or even the same spell) into a used slot and it'll refresh the spell, as long as you have dice left to use it. Use this to juggle spell slots if you have a fistful of dice you can't otherwise use.
- If you take advantage of that, you don't need more than one upgraded spell slot, and can use more starting prepared spells so your build gets off the ground quicker.
- Thrown flaming dice deal more damage.

Quoting this for when I get there.

My only time I did play witch, I did pretty much everything wrong it seems!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Here's some tips for Character 6 that I posted a while back. It's possible that there might have been a few changes since, but they should hold up. With good deck management, 6 can be one of the least luck-dependent characters!

Stickman posted:

- Like most deckbuilders, smaller is better - get rid of non-synergizing cards whenever you can
- But the discard mechanic means you'll probably want to keep two or zero copies instead of just one.
- Aggressively discard to get to the cards you actually want to use. Keep an eye on what's coming up to see what you'll have an opportunity to discard.
- Dice duplication/reroll cards are very strong, especially with Even/Odd requirements or flat damage cards. Rerolls like Cauldron are basically free cards and let you prepare for upcoming requirements. Duplication cards like Duplicate, Bump (returns a 6 and a 1 if you feed it a 6), or splits let you really go hog wild. Upgrading and copying a Duplicate makes later levels much easier.
- Snapping cards that return dice will give you free dice. It creates a copy of the largest die that will activate the card, so snapping duplicate will give you a six, Cauldron a random die, etc!
- Inventor is one of the best character cards. Since she copies the next card it's easy is discard them both if you need to. The other characters often end up clogging the deck unless you specifically build around them.
- Be selective with what you add to the deck. You only need as many terminal attack/utility cards as you can actually use in a turn - if you start adding too many singles that sound nice you'll clog up the pipeline before you get to the cards you really want to play (and make it difficult to discard).

Roluth posted:

I just want to stress how important the two-or-zero rule is. Snap! is the best limit in the game by far: it creates and places the highest dice it can for both cards. A big Snap turn is really effective, and rolling into the boss with a limit ready can end the battle real quick.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 5, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I beat every episode except the witch ones, even Character 6 and all the hard modes.

But I just cannot wrap my head around witch, I always end up messing up my spellbook somehow and dying before even getting to the boss.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, also, Duplicate is better than Doppeldice in literally every circumstance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

loving finally. That 4 has been haunting me for months now.

"Oh, I've already beaten the game, starting a new file isn't that big a deal."
-Me, a fool

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Just booted up the Switch and found the game updated. It now has a section called “Bonus Episodes” and has 2 Level Packs: Dicey Dungeons and Halloween Special.

Clicking on the Dicey Dungeons pack just seems to send you back to the starting screen, while the Halloween Special gives you 3 character options to play through.

Pretty sure I remember that this is already out on the other systems but it’s a nice addition for the Switch.

Edit: Oh my, everyone (but the dice) gets costumes and new music/backgrounds This is great.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 3, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There’s also unique bosses, IIRC.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Giving this another shot after a mention in the roguelike thread, and it owns. Won my 2nd game as the Robot. The blackjack mechanic is very cool. I wish there were more branching path options during the runs, like Slay the Spire, to allow more choice about how to approach enemies and environments.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's somewhat taken care of by the different episodes having rule changes and various gimmicks to change up the gameplay.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This is a great gamepass game. And lol, I turned into a bear on my first battle as a Thief, that definitely... simplified things. I had barely realized how the Thief mechanic worked and then the next battle I was like "...oh. I'm still a bear."

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Martman posted:

This is a great gamepass game. And lol, I turned into a bear on my first battle as a Thief, that definitely... simplified things. I had barely realized how the Thief mechanic worked and then the next battle I was like "...oh. I'm still a bear."

Being a bear is pretty sweet. You really need to out DPS the enemy but it's 100% possible. I would bear again.

I had a nice run of Thief 6 that ended up with two teleport+ spells in my inventory. One of my rule changes made it so every enemy I fight would turn into a bear in 4 turns. If I could survive that, then I had a very low chance of not getting my two teleport spells up (always useful), but with versus a bear it became an insta-win as they only have 2 attacks to begin with.

It was pretty cool.

I'm not loving Robot, maybe it's my natural aversion to gambling, maybe it's something else. They have great items, but the mechanic is tedious. I just beat episode 3 but it felt touch and go. I'm going character per character, and I remember really like Scientist so I'm looking forward to that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat... the Witch class is wild. First run I figured increasing your Prepared Spells would have to be awesome, but also learned that relying on Freeze can get you completely owned. Felt really limited and rough.

Second run I gave into RNG completely and only chose Upgraded Spell Slots and Extra Dice, and it's awesome when you bet on the dice like that. After filling up the spellbook it's really cool when you can replace and re-cast spells multiple times on one turn with the limit break.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wrapped up Robot. I went back and tried some of the Hard Modes. I beat Warrior and got owned early on each time with both Thief and Robot, so now I'm attempting Inventor's stuff.

I give myself 3 lives per stage before moving on.

I really like inventor but Inventor 3 is going to be tough. That's the one where your items get limited uses. I made it to the fifth floor, by the skin of my teeth, but I was just bleeding objects. There's got to be a better strategy for that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dunno if you are at all interested, but this game's artist worked on a game that just dropped called Floppy Knights, which is a non-roguelike deck builder strategy RPG. It looks pretty cool and fun, I figured you might find it interesting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I picked it up and I'm trying it out, and the gameplay is fine, but if you're the kind of person who finds Adventure Time's style of humor exhausting, this may not be the game for you. It also doesn't have the musical or writing charm that really brought everything together in Dicey Dungeons.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Witch is the sole reason I haven't come back for another playthrough of this game. I've thought about it a few times but every time I remember I'd have to go through Witch again and give up the idea.

I finally did it this weekend. Deleted my old save and started from scratch. Four days later and I have now finally gotten 100% on this game. All episodes and all challenges. I even did the three Halloween episodes. After 3 years I have now actually finished Dicey Dungeons properly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Apparently another six-episode DLC hit for free today. Dunno if it's on consoles yet, nor do I know anything about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Apparently another six-episode DLC hit for free today. Dunno if it's on consoles yet, nor do I know anything about it.

Lol wow the timing could hardly be better for me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's pretty great so far. Fun twists on the gameplay and of course new funky chipzel tunes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Never before have I felt the pain of 50/50 chances as in Robot Reunion

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can't download the update. Hell, Steam can't even verify the files. And when I tried to uninstall/reinstall, it says there's a manifest error.

I'm guessing the servers for it are being overloaded, so I'll try again in a day or so.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

It also looks like the game has hit Android and iOS supposedly with all of the DLC included.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Crashed after updating, not played in a while so not sure if it's the DLC or not.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I discovered this game last week and the soundtrack hit me so hard that I dreamed I met Chipzel and told her how great her poo poo is, lol. Usually I'm not super into cute beepboop retro chiptune music but the high energy and genius craft of these tunes is undeniable, love the 70s/80s funk/disco influence. Even something as simple as the store/upgrade chime BGM is effective and feels meaningful. Besides that the game is really fun too, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Restarted on Android and all I have left is Witch 5 and 6 and I can feel my will to live slipping away from me