Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The old World of Warplanes thread closed over a year ago due to lack of activity, which means it's time for a new World of Warplanes Thread!

What's new with World of Warplanes 2.1?

World of Warplanes changed a lot between 1.0 and 2.0. The game introduced respawning, missions for free stuff, better controls, and more planes. The games saw even more changes since 2.0 dropped.

There are bombers, more nationalities, there is a proper tutorial, players are flying against fewer players and more bots, and bots can be commanded to defend players, and to attack or defend other targets.

Best of all, the game still has all chat! Worst of all, the chat ban system is pretty aggressive. But that doesn't matter because it's hard to trash talk and fly at the same time. All in all, these changes make for a much more laid back game than World of Tanks.

What can I fly?

Biplanes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7uGUEhYIGo

Prop planes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdULVm_SOBg

Jet planes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2UkzfwD_S8

Rocket planes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBHRBx8SKY

Parasite planes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmINpoXzh1E

Are there other differences between aircraft?

There are five types of plane in the game: fighters, multirole fighters, heavy fighters, ground attack aircraft, and bombers. In general:

-Fighters use speed and maneuverability to destroy other fighters and multirole aircraft.
-Multiroles use their armor, maneuverability, and strong guns to destroy other fighters, multirole aircraft, and heavy fighters.
-Heavy fighters use armor, speed, and strong guns to destroy other heavy fighters, ground attack aircraft, and bombers.
-Ground attack aircraft use guns, rockets, and bombs to destroy ground targets at a low altitude.
-Bombers use bombs to destroy ground targets at a high altitude.

How the different planes do their missions can vary greatly based in part on Nationality. Nationalities usually have certain design philosophies. Soviet ground attack aircraft focus on strong armor and lots of weapons. Japanese aircraft emphasize speed and agility. French aircraft specialize in weird wings. German heavy fighters have very slow but powerful guns. And so on.

A planes tier determines its matchmaking (+1/-1), how smart the enemy bots are, and the planes era. Certain missions or campaigns can only be done in certain tiers or eras of aircraft. A planes status refers to how kitted out your plane is. It can be "stock", elited, or specialized. This is most relevant when you're trying to sort your aircraft.

What's this about controlling bots?

Any given game will have more bots than players. And the bots play styles vary from "Best dogfighter on both teams" to "can't stop flying into mountains". These extremes remain detrimental to the player experience. To compensate, players were given the ability to tell the nearest bot to help out in a specific way. The commands are essentially; attack, defend, help me kill things, and save me from the enemy on my tail.

What's coming up after 2.1

The game has something called specializations. At the moment a specialization just kits out a plane with the top gear and allows a player to add more and better equipment to their plane. But certain guns and bombs are better for certain missions than for others. So there are plans to let a player choose from a set of upgrades.

I'm in, are there any codes for the game?

None that seem to work! But as of five months ago people reported success with BAWWOWP2, PCPWOWP2, WARPLANES, HELLOWARPLANES, HAPPYHOURWARPLANES, PLAYWWP, NEWWARPLANES

But I don't want to spend money on the game!

If you create your World of Warplanes account thru Steam you can get a free tier 2. But the stand-alone game offers plenty of chances to earn free in-game consumables, gold, premium time, planes, and tickets.

Gold, consumables, and premium time can be earned by taking part in special events or finishing a daily mission.

Planes can be earned after completing several daily missions in a row, taking part in special events, or completing two campaigns.

Tickets can be earned from earning certain medals or completing certain achievements. E.g., kill a plane with a turret, earn 10,000 points while capturing airfields, etc.

What can you hook me up with?

I can give you a mid-tier rank in Pansy! I just made one goon a Quartermaster. I don't know if they know that though. And it's a moot point because there's no gold for the Quartermaster to distribute. But they got a nifty ribbon to go by their name! If we do ever get gold, then, well, I dunno what we could do with it besides give it to other players. New logo maybe? It'd be hard to top the current one.

Is there a discord?

Yes! It's in one of the WoT threads and I will edit it into here later!

How do I get this game?

You can download it directly from World of Warplanes or you can pick it up on Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Reserved space for other things like temporary answers to temporary questions

Why can't I buy a plane?

World of Warplanes is experimenting with discounting the purchase prices of planes in the online store. But in order to see the planes for sale, a person needs to log in. Wargaming made a few announcements about it but most people don't seem to have gotten the memo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Space also reserved because all things happen in threes. Except for bombers and GA, those are only two each per conquest battle.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 24, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Time for the monthly bump in case any of the other three goons who play this game have thoughts about how to get more goons into playing this game!