Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
more embarassing:
This poll is closed.
matrix ripoffs 28 37.33%
pulp fiction ripoffs 47 62.67%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Pulp Fiction ripoffs gave birth to Boondock Saints so it's ripoffs are worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Agreed :hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNOP2t9FObw

In Matrix 2 they even have a rave but instead of a rave of vampires that suck blood, the film itself sucks.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Some of you have stronger opinions about Quentin Tarantino movies than I do about major events in my own life

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd say Pulp Fiction rip offs are worse since they're cheaper and easier to make, so more abundant, were made longer than Matrix rip offs (probably to this day), they totally miss the point of Tarantino's style of brief, unglorified violence, and that every goddamn student film since was about hitmen.

Matrix rip offs were redeemed post withthis wonderful episode of Lasagna Cat.
(I haven't seen Equilibrium since high school but it rules.)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd say Pulp Fiction rip offs are worse since they're cheaper and easier to make, so more abundant, were made longer than Matrix rip offs (probably to this day), they totally miss the point of Tarantino's style of brief, unglorified violence, and that every goddamn student film since was about hitmen.

Matrix rip offs were redeemed post withthis wonderful episode of Lasagna Cat.
(I haven't seen Equilibrium since high school but it rules.)

Tarantino movies are cool usually, but they're also really strange in this sort of way where it's one dude's bizarre but functional thing, very much his own strange mix of obsessions. Its way more cringy to try and copy something like that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
There was one really bad Pulp Fiction knockoff in the 90s that starred Marky Mark, Benjamin Bratt, and Avery Brooks but I don't care enough to look it up at the moment. Saw part of it months ago on Starz.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
If Lou Diamond Phillips was in it that was The Big Hit, of which I only remember the ending between the two

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It was Lou Diamond Phillips. I thought it was him at first then fell back to Benjamin Bratt but yeah, that's the movie is was thinking of.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the big poo poo

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Grape posted:

A bunch of goons being incredulous that a bunch of late 90's action films are somehow extremely and incompetently influenced by Tarantino is really funny to me.

Does this help?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Big Hit is like 1997-98 distilled into its purest essence and then transferred to celluloid. It's an awful trainwreck and a transcendent vision of beauty, with frosted tips and the scent of Axe body spray.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

remember that three musketeers movie that had a bunch of wire work for some reason. that poo poo looked dire.
welp im gay c u l8er

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Saint Drogo posted:

aren't student films just meant to be competency demonstrations? how do you even end up seeing them if you don't work in a film department?

they can also be real movies that are just extremely low budget. for example the super trooper guys made a movie and tried so hard to get it actually published. its called puddle cruiser and they never really got it out there but it did lead to super troopers which got them all jobs eventually.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Boondock Taints, The Gaytrix, Pump Friction; etc

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

star war episode 1 the phantom pennis

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

star war episode 1 the phantom pennis

Star Whores Episode 2: Attack of the Boners

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Episode 3: Revenge of the Slit

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

This music starts blasting whenever you go to the bathroom at work. Everyone notices it but no one has had the courage to ask what's going on.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Laterite posted:

The Big Hit is like 1997-98 distilled into its purest essence and then transferred to celluloid. It's an awful trainwreck and a transcendent vision of beauty, with frosted tips and the scent of Axe body spray.

:actually: Axe wasn’t introduced into the US until 2002.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Matrix sequels are pretty much to blame for all the dumb Underworld and Resident Evil movies.

The heroine in Resident Evil is named Alice because the writer or whoever was awkwardly shoehorning in Alice in Wonderland references to the script, probably because they were cribbing anything they could from The Matrix.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The Matrix sequels are pretty much to blame for all the dumb Underworld and Resident Evil movies.

also this loving thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j972H8SnZRs

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
That's Ultraviolet which I think was made by the same guy who made Equilibrium. It was very lovely.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

This makes my cells hurt

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

A bunch of action movies ripping off action scenes and "cool" stuff and film techniques is still infinitely better than movies trying desperately hard to imitate wholesale a very idiosyncratic directorial style.

For reference, painfully poo poo Lynch rip-offs or blatant Scorcese clones.

Those are always way, way worse.

I am kind of drawing a blank on ersatz Lynch movies, what are some examples of this? (TV obviously is a different story with Wild Palms, Northern Exposure, etc.)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Valko posted:

I haven't seen BS either but I did watch the documentary Overnight. It wouldn't surprise me if Troy Duffy casually dropped racial slurs in everyday conversation. That trailer for the documentary just doesn't do justice to how big an rear end in a top hat Duffy is/was.

I really just love how Duffy keeps the documentarian around because he is just oblivious to what a prick he is to everyone around him. The guy wears only dirty overalls to a meeting with movie execs who are preparing to write him a seven figure check, then blows off all the follow up meetings to promote with his lovely nu-metal band. It’s an incredible film for fans of train wrecks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

red19fire posted:

I really just love how Duffy keeps the documentarian around because he is just oblivious to what a prick he is to everyone around him. The guy wears only dirty overalls to a meeting with movie execs who are preparing to write him a seven figure check, then blows off all the follow up meetings to promote with his lovely nu-metal band. It’s an incredible film for fans of train wrecks.

My favorite part is that after burning his bridges the only distribution deal he could get was one where he didn't make any money off of the DVD release, so even though it became a sleeper hit after the fact he made zero dollars from it.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Gaunab posted:

This music starts blasting whenever you go to the bathroom at work. Everyone notices it but no one has had the courage to ask what's going on.

livin' the dream :cool:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
regarding the Boondock Saints/Pulp Fiction connection: Boondock Saints is a movie that basically rips off all of Pulp Fiction's aesthetic trappings, it just uses them to make a dumb action movie instead of a sprawling nonlinear crime epic

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Grape posted:

A bunch of goons being incredulous that a bunch of late 90's action films are somehow extremely and incompetently influenced by Tarantino is really funny to me.

There's a huge difference between influence and inspiration and ripoff. All of Tarantino's films for example are heavily influenced by his favourite films and directors but they're not ripoffs. I mean so far the best anyone has done is to say that they have two male assassin characters??

This weird strawmanning nonsense you guys keep doing where you respond to arguments we never made is just dumb.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

There's a huge difference between influence and inspiration and ripoff. All of Tarantino's films for example are heavily influenced by his favourite films and directors but they're not ripoffs. I mean so far the best anyone has done is to say that they have two male assassin characters??

This weird strawmanning nonsense you guys keep doing where you respond to arguments we never made is just dumb.

it's a combo of:
"cool" hitman/criminal protagonists without guilt about their crimes
dialogue featuring a lot of casual conversation that doesn't advance the plot that may be about pop culture
casual & sudden brutal violence
lots of swearing
classic rock style soundtrack

none of those things were original to Tarantino but when there's no movies like that then suddenly dozens of independent filmmakers are making them you go :thunk:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Just watch 2 Days in the Valley and all will become clear.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Pulp Fiction ripoffs are worse because I'd rather watch a dozen bullet time sequences than a scene where white dudes say slurs because they don't get the joke of that one scene in Pulp Fiction.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Sleeveless posted:

Pulp Fiction ripoffs are worse because I'd rather watch a dozen bullet time sequences than a scene where white dudes say slurs because they don't get the joke of that one scene in Pulp Fiction.

What was the joke?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the joke is that question tarantula really, really, really likes to say the n word with impunity, or have his characters say it

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Clowner posted:

the joke is that question tarantula really, really, really likes to say the n word with impunity, or have his characters say it

What a strange joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The joke is that in a movie full of cool badasses the directer has a cameo as a loser.