Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

hello and yes in my continuing quest to become a druid i have been trying to tame chipmunks on my property. i have been keeping peanuts, unsalted, in shell, in my pockets and hten i toss them around the yard and in the garage when i think they smell enough like me to train the dudes and dudettes and also babies.

so! the young ones seem to like me, or at least are not afraid. mom and dad are like at least okay with me. i think the dad likes me because he ran over my foot yesterday trying to get out of the garage when i was smoking nothing at all. anyways so!

please help give me tips i want these guys to do well and one has a broken leg and i want them to be fat and sleepy for winter, has anyone here built a hibernation box for these kind of friends?

also post your favorite rodents and also protips for being friends with a squirrel i guess bye thanks i love all yall butts.

oh OH also how do i stop myself from eating the peanuts this is becoming a bit of an issue. i went outside with like, pockets bulging and i think i maybe ate 3/4rths myself this is not the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is not a "bit" i am doing this in my life please does anyone have good advice i am just a simple butt trying to get chipmunks to trust him enough for me to hold them and say "hello friend i am happy you trust me"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://i.imgur.com/PX1hqMF.mp4
i am making progress guys

Escape From Noise

I don't know much about chipmunks except that they love to make novelty albums of them singing well known songs in high pitched voices.

Heather Papps

hello friend

One took a peanut from my hand, so I am making progress with the juveniles, at least.

Also I asked a friend for advice and she would not stop laughing at me. I am kind of confused as to why because everyone loves animals but somehow befriending wild ones is strange? These animals live on my family land and therefor are family, or maybe... squatters? Still they are very sweet and fun to watch when I am building hives in the garage or having a smoke. I frequently listen to podcasts so they are fairly used to sounds.

I am right now realizing my neighbor has four German shepherds. Maybe I need to like, naw. Never-mind the Chippies are wild animals they can smell the dog urine and will avoid that property like the friggin' plauge. Now that I am considering it these chipmunks did kind of appear more regularly after Dean died, but he was a little coward, so, yeah. I am not certain.

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://blog.nwf.org/2011/12/not-alvin-and-the-chipmunks-10-facts-about-the-real-rodents/
"Chipmunk Hibernation

Chipmunks hibernate in winter, but they don’t sleep all the way through the season. They retreat to their burrows but wake every few days, raise their body temperatures to normal, feed on stored food rather than fat reserves, and urinate and defecate.
When chipmunks are in the deep sleep phase of hibernation, they may be very difficult to arouse. Their heart rate declines from about 350 beats per minute to perhaps 4. Body temperature may drop from 94 degrees F to whatever the temperature of the burrow is—as cold as 40 degrees F.
A new study has found that as winter temperature heats up because of global warming, chipmunks in warmer areas become less likely to hibernate in the coldest months. The research indicates that chipmunks that follow normal hibernation procedures enjoy a survival rate through winter of about 87 percent, while those that remain active because of warm winter weather are almost certain to die by spring. The scientist who made this discovery, Craig Frank of Fordham University, fears that this evidence could suggest dire results for other hibernating species as climate warms."

Okay. Great. Thanks I love learning that global warming is even loving over my friends that I figured would be fine. This rules and I love it.

Heather Papps

hello friend

I have new footage. Chippy and are are becoming close friends.

Heather Papps

hello friend

bbcode can be difficult also tho GAG listen bbcode isn't capped okay?

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 1, 2019

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://i.imgur.com/jiewptp.mp4

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL3Ze2tg-Ew

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Wow hes cool does he have any tips

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Wow hes cool does he have any tips

yes try your best but also don't be afraid to fail
be yourself, honestly, earnestly
don't give in to irony or moats dug around your emotions
do a big funny post forever
also, give your friends peanuts okay please
they dont have money and cannot purchase them and for us they are very inexpensive

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay so i have found approx 5 eaten pinecones in my alcove and front porch, which means chippys are comfy enough to just like, chill and eat in their home.

this makes me happy.

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXK_fe85L_g

Finger Prince

If you ever stop feeding them, they will come for you, in the night, with sharpened claws and teeth.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

If you ever stop feeding them, they will come for you, in the night, with sharpened claws and teeth.

i will never stop.

Finger Prince

My mom started feeding a chipmunk at her old place, leaving nuts out on the deck, and stopped because it was spring and there was lots of natural food to eat, but chipper had a taste for the western diet now, and only wanted delicious high fat high calorie nuts. It would stand by the door scratching and knocking every morning demanding nuts.

Heather Papps

hello friend

that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

i should note i have done some research into this and i am trying to give them varied treats, not replace their natural food sources

just makin' friends is all