Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I have a first gen crv.
For awhile now I've suspected a oil leak, nothing on the ground though.

After a bit I noticed I could smell it when the car was on a incline.
Went to a drivein movie a few months back. Ran the engine for a bit for the heater and to not drain the battery.

Car was on a decline, nose down, as laying down in the back. At the next traffic light after leaving I noticed a bunch of smoke coming out the engine bay. Started to panic then remembered the oil, its probably been dripping on the exhaust or some poo poo.

Been putting off doing anything about it. Got stuck on a carpark ramp for a bit today and terrified a random car next to me, yeah, its probably time.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at, is that the sump? Or is it higher up and im hosed?
Am I better to leave it as is or try and clean some of it off? Fire vs leak i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
A Honda motor? Leaking oil? Why I never.

Looks like the sump, but that may be just where it's accumulating.

When's the last time you changed the valve cover gasket? That's a mighty wide streak of oil run in your third picture there, but it also looks a little old and dry to be your current problem.

I'd go ahead and do both the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, for starters. They're both not incredibly difficult.

I'd get it done sooner rather than later if you're noticing smoke.

Also we have a thread for this sort of thing. It's in the beginning of the rules.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

A Honda motor? Leaking oil? Why I never.

Looks like the sump, but that may be just where it's accumulating.

When's the last time you changed the valve cover gasket? That's a mighty wide streak of oil run in your third picture there, but it also looks a little old and dry to be your current problem.

I'd go ahead and do both the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, for starters. They're both not incredibly difficult.

I'd get it done sooner rather than later if you're noticing smoke.

Also we have a thread for this sort of thing. It's in the beginning of the rules.

Re the valve cover. I did that 2+ years ago and again about 4 months back after noticing oil in the spark plug wells.

I did check the rules thread. Post details, no low effort, and so on.
Looking around a bit more, do you mean the stupid questions thread? Probably. Feel free to close.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
All good, you just might get a better response there. Do your oil pan gasket. Looks like midpipe is all you need to take off, and you don't seem to be in a rustfucky area so it shouldn't give you much of a hassle.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

All good, you just might get a better response there. Do your oil pan gasket. Looks like midpipe is all you need to take off, and you don't seem to be in a rustfucky area so it shouldn't give you much of a hassle.

Thank you, at work trying to figure out if my limited skills would extend to the gasket.
Looks like the exhaust needs to come off to get to it which probably means no.

Gasket is over 100aud/80usd unless I want to wait for shipping. Bleh.

A couple of more pics for content. Everyone loves beater pics.

So I poked it with a stick to see what would happen.

Its less scary than I thought. Its dirt sticking to the oil. With the color I was thinking it would be cooked oil crust and wondering how hard/how much to get it off and what would be underneath.

These are unrelated. Replaced my radiator. Broke a bolt. Tried a easy out. Broke the easy out. Using zip ties ever since.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You're gonna need to cause a massive fuel leak if you want to die in a car fire, or buy a tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

You just need the oil pan gasket, it is like $20 USD from the dealer. (Part #11251-P30-004)

Make sure you clean both the oil pan flange as well as the underside of the block where it mates. Put a dab of hondabond or permatex rtv on the corners of the oil pan, and make sure you do not over tighten the pan and torque the nuts/bolts in order.

https://youtu.be/G_R9wTOBHyc

That is a decent guide.