Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The problem with Mox right before he went to rehab was he would turn purple when he wrestled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RandolphCarter posted:

The problem with Mox right before he went to rehab was he would turn purple when he wrestled.

Well that is a problem

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

I loved how Mox looked before he went to rehab, tbh. I’m glad he got sober obviously but he had a look for a brief time that seemed unique at the time, just looked like a big beefy bruiser who was going to gently caress you up. Felt like a very 70s/80s look.

I wonder what the through-line between Mox's look at the time and the 70s/80s was.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

karmicknight posted:

I wonder what the through-line between Mox's look at the time and the 70s/80s was.

Some mysteries may never be solved. They made a whole show about it!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ganso Bomb posted:

Some mysteries may never be solved. They made a whole show about it!

I think I saw that show, it had something to do with stunt grannies.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm not sure if it made him a better wrestler, but David Finlay dropping the skinnyfat weight and getting more cut has directly led to the biggest push of his career so far.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Nehru the Damaja posted:

We hear a lot about wrestlers who put on mass and stepped up their game and star power. Omega and Ospreay becoming heavyweights and more complete wrestlers. Swerve now looking like an inevitable world champion. Drew McIntyre going from comedy jobber to world champ.

But who has *lost* a lot of weight and improved their craft and position on the card? To be clear, I'm not talking about fat guys who get in shape (e.g. Akira Tozawa) but more like Ric Flair, who was a huge boy before his back injury forced him to cut down to a more slender frame.

my personal favorite was chase owens showing up at the start of every g1 tour visibly overweight and ending the tour very cut and then going straight back to flabby after a few months

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

my personal favorite was chase owens showing up at the start of every g1 tour visibly overweight and ending the tour very cut and then going straight back to flabby after a few months

the reverse big show

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
If New Japan have such a close working relationship with AEW/ROH, how come Young Lions don’t go on excursion there? Too high profile?

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 25, 2024

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Easy answer is AEW has such a big roster that guys on excursion wouldn't get as consistent reps as they would in smaller companies. Leube (and Yuto before he got injured again) is working at least once a week to develop their character which would be far from guaranteed in AEW when they're not household names drawing eyes to a television product

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dr. Quarex posted:

Jon Moxley going away for a little while in 2021 and coming back looking and performing great when we had not realized he looked bad beforehand immediately comes to mind

the two weeks before he left i was pretty concerned, his last promo had me thinking 'something is wrong'

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Young Lions getting wasted in American promotions is how you get Okada, so I see no issue in that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Young boys need reps more than they need TV exposure, and with no house show tours AEW doesn't have a lot to offer them.

Most of them seem to do better in Mexico anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly figured for a while Takeshita was there on an excursion, to the point that I was surprised when he signed.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If anything AEW and the lesser used younger talent should be making use of New Japan and CMLL to put in reps. Kinda of shocked some of the talent hasn't asked to go on a month tour of Japan or to work Mexico to get some more seasoning. Top Flight especially could use it especially

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

If New Japan have such a close working relationship with AEW/ROH, how come Young Lions don’t go on excursion there? Too high profile?

American visas are a pain in the loving rear end to get for something excursion length.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It hasn't stopped them, Uemura did TNA and indies and Narita was doing Strong/LA dojo stuff

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Benne posted:

Young boys need reps more than they need TV exposure, and with no house show tours AEW doesn't have a lot to offer them.

Most of them seem to do better in Mexico anyway.

Yeah, back in the day they could come to Memphis or whatever territory and work on the constant house show loops which is a terrible, grueling method but did force them to get good at working in front of the same crowds repeatedly and make sure the fans weren't bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dawgstar posted:

Semi-related: Does anybody remember who would turn the Gory Special into powerbomb?

Kyoko Inoue I'm 99% sure.