Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I watched the first two episodes of the Fallout show and the yodeling theme everytime Goggins character does something is killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pomeroy posted:

If we have to talk about Tolkein, Fellowship was a great adaptation, Two Towers was a sad bastardization, and whoever should have been responsible for holding Jackson's leash on Return should have been dealt with as a deserter in the face of the enemy.

From what I've heard Fellowship has the most practical effects/least CGI, and the following two movies have more and more CGI. Is that true? Or is it more that Two Towers and Return don't adapt their source material as well as Fellowship? I need to watch these already.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

From what I've heard Fellowship has the most practical effects/least CGI, and the following two movies have more and more CGI. Is that true? Or is it more that Two Towers and Return don't adapt their source material as well as Fellowship? I need to watch these already.

fellowship has a lot of set pieces throughout while the other two have major battle scenes and wizard fights so the cgi aspect sounds right but probably not exclusively so

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

New Zealand destroyed its labor laws to allow the Hobbit shoot and the actors who played the not-Thorin or Kili dwarfs weren't even invited to the premiere

why would you invite the extras to the premiere

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ArmedZombie posted:

why would you invite the extras to the premiere
None of them are extras I don't think, they all have speaking roles. Not that I'd expect every speaking role in a movie to be invited to a premiere.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gonna be seeing the new Guy Ritchie movie this weekend. Also gonna hit up Spirited Away on the big screen since Ghiblifest starts this weekend. Movies are good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

They're all genuinely some of the best special effects in movies. It's more that the later two are a little more bloated and there's a few adaptional errors- not crippling but kind of annoying if you like the books

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

My favorite part of The Last Jedi is that by the film's own logic hot blooded pilot guy was right about everything and space admiral and Leia would have gotten everyone killed because they were dumb

Also Finn went from a competent deuteragonist with a compelling backstory to a bumbling moron who nearly wrecks the entire resistance over illegal spaceship parking, probably because Rian is a giant racist or maybe just a bad writer

Most of the plot revolves around everyone being incredibly incompetent

I dunno how much of blame or praise you can place at Rian Johnson's feet, since those films were products of the modern Disney C Suite practice. It's by far the guy's least coherent film, but pretty much all three of those films are deeply incoherent.

I caught the first half an hour of Gore Verbinksi's Lonesome Ranger film and I was shocked that the action editing was coherent and there were so many practical effects. Like maybe 20%.

That's the high bar for tentpole filmmaking under Disney. The highbar.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i think the stuff with luke/rey/kylo works until the very end when the movie ditches its entire premise up to that point, but they also set up the best and funniest star wars film, Episode IX: Rise Of The Skywalker so I can't be entirely mad at it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

7-8-9 should have been made by Lucas. Disney should have gotten the prequels. Lucas again is to blame :smug:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

they should have to keep remaking 9 every 3 years until it gets a 100% in both categories on rotten tomatoes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

and you get assigned to go see it like jury duty

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Those Who Walk Away From Lucasfilm

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Disney execs are going to ruin Andor and everyone can see it coming smh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The zendaya threesome tennis movie is getting a lot of high marks from critics I trust, gonna try to make room to see that this weekend too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

i was going to make a joke about adding a cute alien/robot, but Andor had the cutest most heart breaking robot in all Star Wars and I love him/it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

They're all genuinely some of the best special effects in movies. It's more that the later two are a little more bloated and there's a few adaptional errors- not crippling but kind of annoying if you like the books

I don't disagree, but the 4k UHD versions you can really tell some of the big sweeping sequences are composite shots on miniatures because everything is so sharp

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nix Panicus posted:

realism and verisimilitude. rain Johnson ftw it sounds like

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Srice posted:

The zendaya threesome tennis movie is getting a lot of high marks from critics I trust, gonna try to make room to see that this weekend too.

guadagnino ftw

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm more getting Rome season 2 vibes from them compressing 4 seasons into 1, though at least they actively decided on it ahead of time instead of having it sprung on them halfway through the season

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"holy homemade bomb, Batgirl!"

"I'm...not Batgirl"

"Sorry, I mean Batwoman"

this show is great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/filmstofilms_/status/1783835918413201553

concerning

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Buck Wildman posted:

"holy homemade bomb, Batgirl!"

"I'm...not Batgirl"

"Sorry, I mean Batwoman"

this show is great

man they really put that kid in the fuggin dirt in no time flat but, also; lmao

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

My favorite part of The Last Jedi is that by the film's own logic hot blooded pilot guy was right about everything and space admiral and Leia would have gotten everyone killed because they were dumb

Also Finn went from a competent deuteragonist with a compelling backstory to a bumbling moron who nearly wrecks the entire resistance over illegal spaceship parking, probably because Rian is a giant racist or maybe just a bad writer

I just remember Poe disobeys orders to destroy a ship and someone gets killed, and when he comes back Leia or Laura Dern gets angry and demotes him, and you can just hear Johnson saying "Aha! I'll bet you thought he'd be treated as a hero, but that doesn't happen in my smart and challenging movie!" But really the audience just thought Poe was a moron and wondered why he was only demoted instead of being arrested for getting someone killed.

I guess I also remember the message that you should blindly obey your betters even if they choose for no reason not to explain their actions.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
imo the correct takeaway from that is "laura dern ftw"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the milk machine posted:

This. She's cool because she never phones in a role.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the stuff with Rey, Luke, and Kyle was great. a lot of the other stuff feels like they were struggling to figure out what to do with these characters that the first movie had introduced without giving them any real purpose

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Action Jacktion posted:

I just remember Poe disobeys orders to destroy a ship and someone gets killed, and when he comes back Leia or Laura Dern gets angry and demotes him, and you can just hear Johnson saying "Aha! I'll bet you thought he'd be treated as a hero, but that doesn't happen in my smart and challenging movie!" But really the audience just thought Poe was a moron and wondered why he was only demoted instead of being arrested for getting someone killed.

I guess I also remember the message that you should blindly obey your betters even if they choose for no reason not to explain their actions.

the message of the movie was "you should've listened to Hillary, Bernie Bros..."

TLJ is in the category of "thing liberals say they love and want to hug and kiss because MAGA bigots hate it" but really does loving suck, like Star Trek Discovery or She-Hulk

Whoolighams has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Apr 26, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DoombatINC posted:

man they really put that kid in the fuggin dirt in no time flat but, also; lmao

yeah I really wish he was a more persistent element because he was great in every scene he was in

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

this was the main thing that drove me nuts about it tbh

Laura Dern comes from nowhere and is The New Leader now despite literally nobody knowing who she is because I dunno the rules say she's the leader, guess she's the leader, and she makes a bunch of apparently nonsensical decisions and tells anyone who asks her to explain her thinking to please consider loving themselves instead of bothering her with these dumb questions, and the lesson the movie heavy-handedly tells us it is teaching by this is "take several seats, sweetie, the adults are talking"

also to make this allegory work, the movie has to
1) have a low-speed chase in space, in a setting where FTL travel exists
2) have a planet which Laura Dern knows the location of and nobody else does (?????)
3) require Laura Dern to do a kamikaze mission to ram a ship into another ship despite the fact that this setting has intelligent AI and thus can probably manage remote control

it's a bad movie and I don't care if the chuds also think it's a bad movie, guess what they're right

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It was her turn to be leader.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it makes sense if every character knows it's laura dern

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the milk machine posted:

*jotting down notes for fbi watchlist* do you plan to attend any trump trials? are you a podcaster?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Xaris posted:

'tis controversial to state but I like the third Indiana Jones the most.
Don't even talk to me about controversial Indiana Jones opinions. I'm a Temple of Doom fan.

I swear its good, besides for all the bad stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Srice posted:

She doesn't have a threesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just a two-some while she watches.