Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

When my last NA Miata had coil issues - was smoking them like Cheech and Chong - it turned out to be the ground near the throttle body. It provides the ground for a lot of the sensors and the ignition coils. I'm pretty sure the NB motor is the same, it's just a little 10mm nut on a bracket that points up from out of the depths beneath the throttle body.

fake edit: I google image searched and it looks like it's actually on top of the manifold just behind the throttle body. Make sure those are clean and in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

charliemonster42 posted:

I'm pretty sure the NB motor is the same, it's just a little 10mm nut on a bracket that points up from out of the depths beneath the throttle body.

fake edit: I google image searched and it looks like it's actually on top of the manifold just behind the throttle body. Make sure those are clean and in good shape.

Is this also applicable to the NB2? NB2 has 2 coil pack wasted spark.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wrar posted:

Is this also applicable to the NB2? NB2 has 2 coil pack wasted spark.

The VVT motor has a bracket under the TB for a bunch of sensor grounds.

Can you hear the fuel pump click on when you put it into the start position, but not crank?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

The VVT motor has a bracket under the TB for a bunch of sensor grounds.

Can you hear the fuel pump click on when you put it into the start position, but not crank?

Yep, definitely have fuel pump whine.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Parts shotgun unsuccessful. I'm going to wire in a bypass sensor ground and try the EGI relay. After that I might just get it towed somewhere to fix it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Have you pulled codes?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There are no codes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nope, added a ground wire, changed the EGI relay, nothing.

I hate this thing.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Wrar posted:

Nope, added a ground wire, changed the EGI relay, nothing.

I hate this thing.

This is nature's way of telling you it needs an LS swap.

Or go for a truly reliable fun car, like an E46.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

nadmonk posted:

This is nature's way of telling you it needs an LS swap.

Or go for a truly reliable fun car, like an E46.

ITP nadmonk attempts to trigger mariticide.

I also tried a new ECU. gently caress it, let's get a wiring harness.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I hosed myself on the S14. I did not leave enough clearance between the clutch line connector and the body.

Time to buy a slide hammer.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Wrar posted:

ITP nadmonk attempts to trigger mariticide.

I also tried a new ECU. gently caress it, let's get a wiring harness.

At this point in time, all Mazda engine wiring harnesses on a vehicle built before 2000 should be treated as suspect. This is probably biased, but of the eight RX-7's I've done compression tests on in the last two years, every single one has had debilitating engine wiring harness issues.

The big rotary tuner in British Columbia will not touch a 7 unless it has had a new engine harness installed. I would be very surprised if Mazda used different materials, design and/or manufacturers between the RX's and the MX's of that era.

Slide hammers are an excellent tool to have on hand, so it's not all bad news on the Silvia front.

Edit: Grammar and clarity

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
S14 update:
On Saturday I did get the line onto the slave connector after dropping the rear of the transmission and pulling the tunnel off of it using the slide hammer. I now have 4 holes to fill. Meh. Unfortunately, the master is bad and was never able to build pressure. I only tried pumping it ~400 times. I ordered an Exedy master and it should be here this weekend. Since I couldn't do anything about that, I turned my attention to the starter. My brain went stupid from being frustrated with the clutch system and was unable to comprehend how to get it into the space available.

I was able to get the starter in earlier this week. It was pretty easy with a fresh set of eyes, but I discovered that the front subframe had some bits that would touch the solenoid terminals, so I had to clearance it. That's done.

Need to get a battery. I'll probably get a Group 25 (Outback shares this) from Costco since I don't have to worry about engine bay fitment. I also need to pull the rest of the engine bay free of Nissan wiring and go from there.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 30, 2020

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just a giant shitball of gently caress. New master does next to nothing. I pushed the secondary down and had my wife push the clutch down and I was able to fight it pretty easily. I suspect
A) the stock 5/8" isn't up to the task. I ordered a GKTech 7/8" adapter kit with a Wilwood master.
B) the original secondary is bad. I ordered a new one too.

Of course, this meant I had to drop the transmission off the engine. This only took about an hour or so because I've done it so many times. Despite being a completely unorthodox conversion, the bolts are not a nightmare to get to.

I did a full vacuum bleed so all the air should be out of the system. Weeeelp. :shepspends:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You've got poo poo luck... Sorry, but think of it as practice for endurance racing. Any update on the MX5?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just dropped it off at a shop who's exceptional at figuring basket case cars out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
maybe the bleeder is letting air past the threads, so the vacuum bleed isn't really effective? have you tried bleeding it with a pressure bleeder or just with the pedal?

i assume youve thought of this, but i know when im mad at machines i overlook things :shobon:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

maybe the bleeder is letting air past the threads, so the vacuum bleed isn't really effective? have you tried bleeding it with a pressure bleeder or just with the pedal?

i assume youve thought of this, but i know when im mad at machines i overlook things :shobon:

I got a call and part of the issue with the Miata was that I slightly mistimed it. It also had an issue with the crank sensor connector which I never would been able to figure out with my toolset. So we're gonna pick it up tomorrow. Huzzah. :shepspends:

I tried to bench bleed the secondary in the S14 and uh yeah I think it's dead.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yay! The new clutch cylinders work great. I got the transmission back on in 2 hours ish with the car only lifted up about a foot and it went on easier than any other time. Pics later.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I should take some pictures but :effort:

I did pick this up:

Oh wait, that's just some dad time.

This helps with some packaging issues and also is good for about 20hp. :homebrew:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You're keeping the B heads?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hahah I'm a loving idiot and didn't realize the early Mark 8 intake has a different IMRC design than the last 2 years and the Cobra.

Wooo more money for IMRCs I'm going to remove. At least it's only $80.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ok, more intake manifold fuckery. I also discovered that Ford made the throttle body bolt patterns between the early Mark 8/Conti and Cobras different. So I bought a bunch of Steelstik before I realized that to plug the idle bypass hole. No big deal, I bought a proper throttle after that. I now have 3 dual blade modular throttle bodies.

Useless. Notice the hump on the bottom of the throttle

It needs to come out anyway. It's good to keep the things together. I have learned to be more organized over the years and do not lose bolts anywhere near as frequently.

Fel-Pro gaskets. Very nice to work with. They have the alignment nubs that keep things in place without alternate means. I had already removed the blades from the IMRCs. The screws were a bit chowdered, but the Wera screwdriver made short work of them.

I beat the poo poo out of the crossover hose connector with a small hammer and a little bit of heat because I don't want to buy another fuel rail. This now clears the top of the intake and throttle body neck.

The other rail. I will have to run the return line around the back, but it's not really a big deal. I have plenty of 5/16 fuel injection hose.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well making brackets for my reversed early Mk.8 rails turned out to be an ordeal and I didn't want to deal with it, so I bought some correct fit billet rails from Modular Motorsports. They were only a bit more than the Cobra rails I'd seen on Ebay.

I have some hose fittings on order and should be able to finish that part soon.

I also put new endlinks on the front bar of my wife's Miata. It was a huge pain in the rear end because they were rusted on. I triumphed with the power of impact.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
More progress on the fuel system. The engine bay is now plumbed. I just need to figure out the PCV and fuel evap routing.

The Miata decided to spit off it's fuel return line at some point, and I fixed it pretty quickly. Done.

Time for some fancy mechanics. Rail crossover done.

Figured out a good place to mount the fuel pressure regulator. I also relocated and mounted the new fuel filter.

I also relocated and mounted the new fuel filter. Nobody needs to see those dirty shock towers and fuel hard lines.

And plumbed the return.

Paid the blood price.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wrar posted:

Paid the blood price.

If you don't, is it even a project?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've been overwhelmed with work, parent duties, home ownership, general DD and Miata maintenance and seasonal downerness. I will have an effortpost soon, as I have another project I'm assisting with, some very small progress on the S14.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh boy I haven't touched this in a minute. Uh lots going on. Miata blew a head gasket. Working on that.

Weather is hosed here in central NC but whatever.

Working on moving to northern Michigan.

Got a van from my neighbor. Weird guy, cool cars. GT40 and 356v replicas.

Oh only one attachment per post, lame.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I dragged the stupid S14 900 miles.

I discovered the Focus ST is good at towing a small trailer.

I am very tired.

Northern Michigan is hella pretty.

Being near friends is the best.

We all got COVID including my 8 month old. It sucked but we're fine now.

I got a new job that isn't tech support and start in 2 weeks.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Woo on about half of that!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Congrats and Goondolences?
Wish I could figure out something I could be good at that wasn't IT that would make me the same (or better!) money. Preferably with limited human contact.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

Wrar posted:

I discovered the Focus ST is good at towing a small trailer.

Northern Michigan is hella pretty.

Being near friends is the best.

I got a new job that isn't tech support and start in 2 weeks.
Congrats!

Wrar posted:

I dragged the stupid S14 900 miles.

I am very tired.

We all got COVID including my 8 month old. It sucked but we're fine now.
Sorry all that happened. Covid is terrible, but it's good to read you and the family are mostly alright. It'll be sweet to see more progress on the projects as you get settled.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Subaru what the heck. They decided to not flange the exhaust before the cats and the tubes are 1 7/8" for 1.8 liters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I am horrifically out of practice welding but I welded some flanges and reducers and they worked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

I am horrifically out of practice welding but I welded some flanges and reducers and they worked.

I feel this in my bones. I weld like 2x a year these days and every time it's like starting over again. Glad you got it together.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wrar posted:

Subaru what the heck. They decided to not flange the exhaust before the cats and the tubes are 1 7/8" for 1.8 liters.

At least you have a header that can be improved. My doofy EZ30 has the collector built in to the head, so fancy piping is useless. Only one pipe coming off. Only thing I can do is a freer muffler and maybe larger piping. Good for a turbo at least, I guess.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hello thread.

I'm still in the borrowed house but hopefully moving out finally in the next 30 days ish. In all likelihood the house will be available during our upcoming vacation.

Anyway I finally did something on the S14 that is one of my required things to get operational status, so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I swear this project has existed most of my posting career, good to see it still truckin' along.