Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I’m a little late to the party on this but I just read that notorious assholes/money laundering operation harmony gold renewed their license with Tatsunoko in July for like 35 years, meaning we are still never going to get any of the newer macross series in the west. what the gently caress.

In better news I recently rewatched macross plus and man I forgot how good that is for an ova. Great music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnHFwSRhvnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 10, 2019

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
gosh I miss my musical jet fighters so much

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Macross II is a lot better than people give it credit for.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Never, unless Funi can afford the team of Attack Lawyers From Hell necessary to pry harmony gold's fingers off the ability to release the rest of it.

I'm assuming Funi because I can't picture Sentai having the cash necessary for some reason.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
HG isn't fit to hold liquefied garbage slurry, let alone something amazing like Macross.

For brighter content, here's Max being a Goddamned Badass:

DYRL is such a beautiful movie...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Never, unless Funi can afford the team of Attack Lawyers From Hell necessary to pry harmony gold's fingers off the ability to release the rest of it.

I'm assuming Funi because I can't picture Sentai having the cash necessary for some reason.

Funimation is owned by Sony now which is releasing the Robotech live action movie so it's never going to happen and if the Macross rights come free you better bet they'll steer clear of Funi cause of that

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I'm finally watching the first Macross, slowly but surely. So far it's better than I thought it would be.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Beato Believer posted:

I'm finally watching the first Macross, slowly but surely. So far it's better than I thought it would be.

It does have some pacing issues that start cropping up about I'd say a third in, but at the same time the scenario that created those issues lead to the much more memorable final arc so it's easily forgivable. Definitely watch Plus after if you haven't (OVA version is better, but the movie has nicer action.)

I think my favorite Macross is either the original or Frontier, though. Frontier was just so surprisingly strong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Didn't HG get smacked down in a way that basically means they have no actual power over the IP not that long ago? I remember they went after Battletech again and it did not end well for them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mokinokaro posted:

I think my favorite Macross is either the original or Frontier, though. Frontier was just so surprisingly strong.

You have to love the original, but Frontier is a remarkably well done modern love letter to the original series. And there's so much to love about it.

It continues the tradition from the first season that when they put a teenager in the cokcpit of a Valkyrie for the first time, they already have a pilot's license.

The VF-25 is dead sexy. No, seriously, that plane has some gorgeous lines. See video below.

So is the colonization fleet,

ep1-6: One of the bridge bunnies is a sassy gay guy. That's cool.
ep7: Oh poo poo, he flies the Macross Quarter in combat ? Again, see below.

Macross, the show where the fans don't have to make the AMVs. Obviously spoilers because this is from episode 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYA8BUGSWTU&t=212s

Feel free to rewind that, but it's queued up for the battle/concert combo. Yes, the whole series has been on YouTube in 720 subtitled for years.

The OST is some of Yoko Kanno's best work. Even if you don't watch this series, which you should, at least listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnxU4YxyGvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1obTdLvPgQ

Even the pop music is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L744i6scE4I

tl;dr You should watch Macross Frontier.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Frontier also has the absolutely amazing tribute to (not a spoiler if you watched the original Macross pineapple salad.

You can tell they went all in with it being the 25th anniversary.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I went to the Macross Crossover Live this June and it was amazing, and is what motivated me to watch the Macross Frontier movies.

They were good.

#TeamSheryl

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Fun fact: the plot in the movies is about 75% nothing like the series. ou have a whole new experience waiting for you.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

mllaneza posted:

Fun fact: the plot in the movies is about 75% nothing like the series. ou have a whole new experience waiting for you.

I did watch like half of Macross Frontier while it was airing before falling off.

I only returned to the series with Macross Delta, then fell off again until the Macross Crossover Live.

It's hard convincing myself to go back and finish Macross Frontier because, like, do I start all the way over from the beginning? Or just jump back into a spot I sorta remember? I barely watch anime anymore as it is, so trying get myself to make time to watch anime is very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I did watch like half of Macross Frontier while it was airing before falling off.

I only returned to the series with Macross Delta, then fell off again until the Macross Crossover Live.

It's hard convincing myself to go back and finish Macross Frontier because, like, do I start all the way over from the beginning? Or just jump back into a spot I sorta remember? I barely watch anime anymore as it is, so trying get myself to make time to watch anime is very hard.

I say jump back in at ep7 for the amazing first big battle, or 13 for some good action, some good plot, and creepy cyborg conspiracies eat a whole planet.