Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

rotor posted:

When you release the product of your labors to the world how do you ensure that they are not used for evil?

It's fairly easy, "will this thing be a good targeting system for a missile" yes/no. If yes, burn notebook, go and do something more boring.

rotor posted:

well gently caress you too

It's your drat job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

state up front that your poo poo is licensed under agpl3 and commercial licenses can be negotiated and like thats it??? if a company reaches out to you and you want to let them use your poo poo for free without the agpl encumbrance then you... just let them???

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bloody posted:

if they want to clean room reimplement my library to avoid paying for a commercial license because it is agpl3 then they can fuckin go ahead and waste their time doing that, i don't care

if they want to open themselves up to the liability of violating licensing then cool i think thats what the fsf is for??

like is your point that "well bad actors will be bad actors so theres no point in trying to do anything good"?

i don't want to deal with the money; on the rare occasions i release something that's about as much as i care to be bothered with it. i just don't like the idea that someone in ecuador or whatever likes it, but they can't afford to pay for it or whatever. i'd rather just do things strictly non-commercial, as the world should be

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Broken Machine posted:

if palantir or the like wants to rip off your work, i don't think they're going to care how your software is licensed, they're going to rip you off because they're not good people and they can
Palantir is, for now, still subject to copyright law.

quote:

also though, most any software or tech good can be used for good or bad.

Yes, this is exactly why you are morally responsible for making sure your work is not used to imprison children and its exactly why just releasing it into the world with no way to prevent that is a lovely, lovely thing to do.

quote:

rather just release it for free, that way anyone can use it and hopefully they at least leave your license notice there

rather just release it under agpl3 that way individuals can use it and companies can pay for it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

i just don't like the idea that someone in ecuador or whatever likes it

then they can use it per the terms of agpl3 or email you and say "hey i want to use this in my ecuadorian startup but i am very poor" and you can say "cool heres an unlimited license to use it for 3 years for free, talk to me again in 2 years"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hexyflexy posted:

It's fairly easy, "will this thing be a good targeting system for a missile" yes/no. If yes, burn notebook, go and do something more boring.

You need to think just a little harder about things because this is spectacularly shallow.

quote:

It's your drat job too.

it is very much not, what capitalist conned you into thinking this?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

Palantir is, for now, still subject to copyright law.

Yes, this is exactly why you are morally responsible for making sure your work is not used to imprison children and its exactly why just releasing it into the world with no way to prevent that is a lovely, lovely thing to do.

rather just release it under agpl3 that way individuals can use it and companies can pay for it

i think in the cases you're concerned with, what would likely happen is they would steal your code, and if ever asked about it, they'd just claim state secrets and that would be it

if you develop some new non-trivial technology thing, it is incredibly difficult to prevent dumb humans from doing dumb things. a swiss patent clerk wrote a paper about the brownian motion swirls in his coffee cup, leading to modern quantum mechanics, huge advances in physics and so on, and we almost blew up the world a few decades later after. it's not always obvious the negative ramifications - i mean look at the internet today compared to its promise of the early 90s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
any tool you develop can be used for evil. this has been true for every tool in history. if you don’t want to make guns, don’t make guns. if you’re afraid to make a broom because someone might use it to sweep the shavings of the lathe in the gun factory, you might be going overboard.

similarly, if you’re implementing a library that detects people in infra red scans and plots a course to their head, you shouldn’t make it free it if you don’t want it used to make missiles. if you’re creating a new version of grep with rad colors, you can chill the gently caress out.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

it’s getting very GBS in this thread

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm rotor's implication that evil cannot be non-commercial

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
cancel this thread

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
open source it but under the MIT license

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The Atlas Public License (APL): Author may, at his sole discretion, dynamite any facility in which this software is used contrary to his values

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
if my LICENSE.md says “whoever you are, you are not licensed to use this software for anything absent express written agreement with me to the contrary” does that pass legal muster

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i licensed it under creative commons which lets me show movies that are copyrighted for money

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

i think in the cases you're concerned with, what would likely happen is they would steal your code, and if ever asked about it, they'd just claim state secrets and that would be it

if you develop some new non-trivial technology thing, it is incredibly difficult to prevent dumb humans from doing dumb things. a swiss patent clerk wrote a paper about the brownian motion swirls in his coffee cup, leading to modern quantum mechanics, huge advances in physics and so on, and we almost blew up the world a few decades later after. it's not always obvious the negative ramifications - i mean look at the internet today compared to its promise of the early 90s

The Management posted:

any tool you develop can be used for evil. this has been true for every tool in history. if you don’t want to make guns, don’t make guns. if you’re afraid to make a broom because someone might use it to sweep the shavings of the lathe in the gun factory, you might be going overboard.

similarly, if you’re implementing a library that detects people in infra red scans and plots a course to their head, you shouldn’t make it free it if you don’t want it used to make missiles. if you’re creating a new version of grep with rad colors, you can chill the gently caress out.

I agree, its virtually impossible to predict.

Which is why you should maintain control over who uses your software and for what purpose.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can't write evil softwares if you don't write any softwares!

*taps forehead*

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

I agree, its virtually impossible to predict.

Which is why you should maintain control over who uses your software and for what purpose.

i mean, for myself i release typically asking for source attribution and that it be used non-commercially - so i'm not getting paid, but so long as it's not an evil company incorporated as a non-profit, i could still sue. it wouldn't prevent an evil individual acting alone, or a company that didn't care about breaking copyright law. often it's a moot point; a few weeks ago echinopsis released a shirt design, just a first initial test design and it had already been copied a day or two later

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

raminasi posted:

if my LICENSE.md says “whoever you are, you are not licensed to use this software for anything absent express written agreement with me to the contrary” does that pass legal muster

in that case you can just say "copyright 2019 raminasi. all rights reserved"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

can't write evil softwares if you don't write any softwares!

*taps forehead*
in the machine-learning future everyone writes software

JCR Licklider posted:

Unemployment would disappear from the face of the earth forever, for consider the magnitude of the task of adapting the network’s software to all the new generations of computer, coming closer and closer upon the heels of their predecessors until the entire population of the world is caught up in an infinite crescendo of on-line interactive debugging.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
checking slashdot for hot takes, and its a lot more chuddy than I remember it and I was around when it was full of ron paul fans.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lain Iwakura posted:

cancel this thread

--------8<--------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Hexyflexy posted:

On the other hand I feel a deep desire to make all other programmers redundant.

rotor posted:

well gently caress you too