Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So, I need some advice on what to do with my cat. I'll give a rundown on the situation.

We have a large orange tabby called Poose who we adopted 3 years ago. He was about 2 years old when we got him. Up to this point he's been a fairly normal cat except he's extremely nervous about everything. It took over a week to get him out of his little cat house. He hid in the basement for a week after that to the point where I had to open a wall to get at him. He runs scared when I sneeze. He can be cuddly but is scared of everything.

2 1/2 weeks ago: We adopt a kitten that was found in an industrial area with a missing mother and dead siblings, he was about 4 weeks old. We bring him home and segregate him into his own room as to not upset Poose and as to not share diseases until we get him shots and dewormed and such. Poose wasn't happy about it and didn't come upstairs as much. After this point, Poose still ate normally and seems ok until...

1 1/2 weeks ago: He starts sounding pained and hiding in the closet, I take him to the emergency vet. He has a urinary blockage. 2 days and 3000$ later, he's back home but scared as poo poo. Didn't eat much at the vet but is urinating with the help of meds. He goes off meds and seems ok. The culture comes back from the lab and he doesn't have an infection. He ate a bit here and there but he was urinating. He was returning back to normal. We put a couple of those cat pheromone plugin things around the house and moved his food to the basement where he felt more comfortable.

2 days ago: I noticed that he stopped urinating much. He would eat a bit and then throw it up. He doesn't yelp or plaintively meow like he did the first time, in fact he is somewhat cuddly in the morning and doesn't appear to be in pain. However, he does hide away in the basement most of the day. He isn't eating much.

So, I think he has another blockage of some sort but I'm being told by others to give it a week. I genuinely can't afford another surgery (or much of a vet visit at this point) and I don't want him to be in pain and croak in the basement behind some boxes. Do you guys think I should wait a while until things seem (more) serious or should I just bite the bullet and have him put to sleep to spare him. I could move the adopted cat since it is probably what initiated this mess but I doubt it will have any effect at this point.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Well in case anyone cares... I took him to the vet and he's gonna be overnight for 3 nights for another blockage. Fun fun

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
Sorry about your cat, hope he gets well soon. I don't know a whole lot about feline urinary issues unfortunately, I can sympathise with getting landed with a huge vet bill though (luckily insurance paid for most of it). My boy stopped eating and throwing up, resulting in overnight stays, ultrasound, x-rays, IV drips. After all that they still couldn't work out what was the matter. I ended up force-feeding him recovery food with a syringe and holding a bowl of water up to his mouth to drink, thankfully he eventually fully recovered.

I do know that urinary issues are more likely if a cat is dehydrated. If Poose doesn't drink much water, you could try a fountain perhaps? Running water is more enticing to cats. Also make sure the water is away from the food bowl, they tend to prefer that too.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thanks! Just got a call from the vet. He seems to be doing better. Before he came back the first time we bought two of those fountain water bowls but he's scared of them. I may have to do what you did and use a syringe and force him to drink, I never thought of that. This time we brought the cat to a normal vet and the cost is going to be much more reasonable this time around.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
Good to hear Poose is on the mend. If you do use a syringe, there's a knack to it. Put in the corner of his mouth and aim upwards onto the roof of his mouth, and prepare to get messy! (I don't know about using water I only tried soft pureed food). My cat seems to prefer water that's been sitting out for a while, in case that helps. When he's ill he'll drink if I hold a bowl up to his mouth, which is useful.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tarkus posted:

Thanks! Just got a call from the vet. He seems to be doing better. Before he came back the first time we bought two of those fountain water bowls but he's scared of them. I may have to do what you did and use a syringe and force him to drink, I never thought of that. This time we brought the cat to a normal vet and the cost is going to be much more reasonable this time around.
Is he on wet food? Cats suck at drinking water, so a wet food can make a big difference in hydration. Has your vet recommended any prescription diet? Its not the fix for every cat, but depending on what the root cause of the blockages is, it might be a life changer.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tarkus posted:

Well, my cats REFUSE to drink from a fountain waterer. But, they will drink from a running tap left to drip. So we leave a sink dripping in the one bathroom where we know they hang out in and drink from. Maybe that might help a little for yours...

hope kitty feels better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did the vet put him on a special diet? Cats with crystal blockages do need specialty diets to ensure the crystals dont form again in the future.