Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good movie, nice and grim dark space travel. Extremely close to stupid at some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I said come in! posted:

Watched last night, really loved the world building and vision of a near future sci-fi capitalism hellscape in space. It felt uncomfortably realistic, so I hope the writers are wrong about this being our future in space.

If there is never a Subway on the moon, it will only be because we never made it back.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Saw this last evening, it's alright but its got some huge issues. Acting is decent, characters are weak, visuals are occasionally good, design is hit or miss, story is complete nonsense. Plot holes you could fit Neptune through.

Like a 2 out of 5. Not the worst, but it basically squanders any good will it manages to gather.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Boy I sure do love watching some empty husk of a white middle-aged man just brooding for 2 hours, which seems to be en vogue.

Good visuals though. The lunar shootout was pretty cool.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Seen it yesterday - pretty, cool music, also pointless and boring. Especially since just last week I watched Aniara, which is a way better movie about people being sad in space.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I think this is the dumbest movie I've ever seen, in ratio of critics gushing to how goddamn dumb it is.

There's so much gravity on the moon the old man needs to sit down and rest.

Despite piracy being so rampant that we get a whole action scene, military personnel are so completely untrained for combat that they forgot to hold on to the ship and get splatted when the ship accelerates.

Brad Pitt climbs up a spaceship's engines during the launch. The engines are going and he's climbing up them. What is wrong with you people!?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Ad Astra. The psychology is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the science will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Brad Pitt's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Oakeshott, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of the extended close-ups, to realise that they're not just dramatic- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike ad Astra truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the depth of Brad Pitt's existential and emotion-filled "You instilled in me a strong work ethic," which itself is a cryptic reference to Rodenberry's epic Star Trek and its Vulcans. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as James Gray's genius wit unfolds itself on their movie screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

America's science education gets a 2/10 from me. I couldn't even finish it when it was a free in-flight film.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is definitely one of those "turn your brain off and turn your heart on" movies. There's zero attempt at tactical realism and I don't think anyone can make a good case for anything in the movie being true to real life. On the other hand, why the gently caress would you care? Would the movie be better if Pitt climbed into the spaceship 20 minutes before the engines started? No, then there would be no dramatic tension and the scene would be flat and silent and boring rather than loud and fiery and exciting. If you want to watch a space documentary, Apollo 11 is right there.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There's zero attempt at tactical realism and I don't think anyone can make a good case for anything in the movie being true to real life.

I thought there was a lot to recognize in the corporate shittyness of space.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is definitely one of those "turn your brain off and turn your heart on" movies. There's zero attempt at tactical realism and I don't think anyone can make a good case for anything in the movie being true to real life. On the other hand, why the gently caress would you care? Would the movie be better if Pitt climbed into the spaceship 20 minutes before the engines started? No, then there would be no dramatic tension and the scene would be flat and silent and boring rather than loud and fiery and exciting. If you want to watch a space documentary, Apollo 11 is right there.

It's completely possible to at least pay lip service to physics while still developing dramatic tension, instead action scenes seemed to ignore reality any time it wasn't convenient to whatever cliche they wanted to copy paste into their lovely movie.

As an example, during burn time there's enough Gs to basically immobilize everyone on the ship. Tension could have been ratcheted up through that immobilization, with everyone struggling to overcome it.

Sir Kodiak posted:

"wow look at that subway on the moon gee corporate things are bad and my dad thought so too" is about the extent of the commentary.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 17, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I meant like, literally true to life, as opposed to thematically true to life. The Subway on the moon is thematically very good but realistically I have trouble imagining how that would work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Right? They could have used Taco Bell, which would have done the same thing thematically while also making sense scientifically since the kinds of food they serve isn't reliant on earth gravity in order to be made properly. Or they could have showed the Subway kiosk, little more than a crude vending machine serving welted garbage that barely looks edible. Which makes me wonder that if they're putting so little thought into those aspects of the script, how thoughtful are the emotional story threads, really? Because the CG'd-in girlfriend makes me think not a lot.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I guess I typically don't really watch a movie with an eye towards how much thought the creators put in (about which I literally could not give less of a poo poo about) so much as I watch it with an eye towards what I get out of the movie. Was that what the creators intended to put it? Guess what, I don't give a flying gently caress.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't understand physics well enough to be offended by that aspect of the movie, but it's a bad, trite script regardless.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 17, 2020

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

All this movie deserves to be remembered for is space baboons.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Cacator posted:

All this movie deserves to be remembered for is space baboons.

*plock*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

TheIndividual posted:

Would love to see how many times James Gray tried and failed to get the rights to Final Fantasy X before throwing this together.

I don’t really have anything to add to the discussion here except I finally watched the movie last night after looking forward to it for a while. I didn’t like it, but I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why.

Then I read this thread and found this post and now I am howling. :vince:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 25, 2020