Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

While the spirit of this thread is about posting pictures of bootleg items you find out in the wild, feel free to post any funny bootlegs you find online, or even to talk about any interesting history of bootleg merchandise and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't believe that OP beat me to the punch when it comes to talking about bootleg Malaysian anime DVDs that are just rips of fansubs/Crunchy that gets released about a week after the series ends. Most of them even have the official govt seal of approval stamped on.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

I can't believe that OP beat me to the punch when it comes to talking about bootleg Malaysian anime DVDs that are just rips of fansubs/Crunchy that gets released about a week after the series ends. Most of them even have the official govt seal of approval stamped on.

Yeah, a little googling revealed that Glorious Media Sdn. Bhd. is infamous for this kind of thing

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, I didn't realise it was all one company! Anime streaming rights in Malaysia and SEA as a whole are kinda poo poo and spotty, and there's a lot of shows that don't make it here. A bunch are stuck on a cable channel on-demand as well. One licencor is pretty cool though and posts all the anime it has streaming rights for free on its YT channel (don't think you can see the videos outside of SEA though).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Speaking of companies releasing fansubs as official have Albanian TV with a cameo from Doremi fansubs

https://twitter.com/pearlhouzuki/status/1174999948066271233

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also if you were a fan in the 90's in the US/Canada and bought CD's chances are most of them were Son May Bootlegs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/Zeroblade/status/1182732602668658692?s=19

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TBH I'd totally be down for that as an actual anime

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Well poo poo, maybe I should just get the bootleg of Anne Happy, since no one in North America seems to be interested in putting it out on legal shiny discs. Along with Comic Girls, Gabriel Dropout, Slow Start, High School Fleet...

Then again, even Hyouka finally made it out on legal release in North America, so I guess there's hope for anything.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, in a just world, Sakura Shinguuji and Sakura Kasugano should totally get to meet on Project x Zone III, but if that game happens, I very much doubt that they put Kasugano in it. Like yeah, most people want to see Dante and Bayonetta meet or whatever, but screw 'em: Lemme have the Sakura ladies team up to kick some rear end.

Also if they're still going to put FE characters, please don't put Awakening or Fates characters. I know: Camilla, Chrom, Corrin, Fredrick, Lucina and Tharja are super popular, but goddammit, just give me some cool combinations of FE characters. Hell, the crossover stories practically write themselves:
  • Azelle gets separated from Lex on their way to Jungby thanks to whatever villains attack the group and Arvis himself says "Hold the gently caress up, leave my dumb little brother outta this" and bam: Super Velthomer Brothers! Sigurd and Ethlyn (Super Chalphy Brothers!) could also work as the sibling team.
  • Edelgard and Dorothea (or Hubert) get isekai'd from Fodlan and meet with whatever Tales of characters they decide to use this time (probably Yuri and Estelle or Flynn, which I'm mostly ok with) and they're all "Man, these guys are squares, let's show 'em who's boss, Edie". Could also work with Claude and Hilda.
  • Alm and Celica at the end of Act 2 have their reunion, but instead of ending due to their disagreement, boom, they get transported somewhere else and they have to work out their differences/points of view and learn to work together. Maybe with Valkyrie's help (that silly gag basically writes itself).
  • Ike and... hell, whichever one of the Greil mercenaries/allies? It's Ike, baby. Ike will punch/stab/cleave the poo poo out of it if he sees worth in doing as such. :black101:
Like there's so many (goofy) ideas for Fire Emblem duos participating in a multi-company crossover, but please, gimme someone other than the Fates/Awakening main lords. Hell, give me Marth and Camus/Zeke/Sirius as a team. There, another idea. And didn't even take me 2 minutes to type something semi-coherent to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

A friend found this intensely weird bootleg Goku figure at a convention a couple months back.