Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tenzarin posted:

Still waiting to hear about how good all the dlc weapons are.

Stellaris derailed my play through tbh.

Also I need to get a new cord for my controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Started playing this and get sub 20 FPS, then a couple minutes of 60 and then plummets to 11 for a while.

I've fiddled with every setting, read every guide, just gonna assume my system is dying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

Started playing this and get sub 20 FPS, then a couple minutes of 60 and then plummets to 11 for a while.

I've fiddled with every setting, read every guide, just gonna assume my system is dying.

Sounds like it. I don't think I ever experienced any slowdown with this game

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Just got this game in the Humble Monthly and it's been a blast! One question I have: if I buy the dlc story pack (Kraken), do I have to start a new game to actually play it?

I'm seeing conflicting results on the steam page.

Also, hammers are the best!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nooooooooooooooo it's back inside my mind!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBvddxrltk

I'm just gonna listen to it one more time.

Vasler posted:

Also, hammers are the best!

I think there is only like 2 enemies in the entire game you can't stun lock with the bigger your weapon is. You might even be able to stun everything barring the dlc I never played. I just recall being about to stun almost if not everything in the game with a huge weapon.

If its like the first game if you buy the dlc the area should just unlock and you can go do it without restarting.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 26, 2021

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Tenzarin posted:

Nooooooooooooooo it's back inside my mind!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBvddxrltk

I'm just gonna listen to it one more time.

I think there is only like 2 enemies in the entire game you can't stun lock with the bigger your weapon is. You might even be able to stun everything barring the dlc I never played. I just recall being about to stun almost if not everything in the game with a huge weapon.

If its like the first game if you buy the dlc the area should just unlock and you can go do it without restarting.

I'm glad the surge 2 allows me to play like I play most souls games: get the biggest fuckin weapon possible and smash the hell out of everything.

Though I just started using the fancy punch glove 2.0s that I got from the mid point boss and they seem ridiculous so far.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Heavy armor is also really overpowered in the surge 2, if your looking to become the boss yourself. You can out poise alot of attacks, I forget what they called that stat in the surge 2.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to playing this when browsing the backlog for good Deck games. I love it! The different weapon types really do a good job of feeling distinct, and the convoluted level design really tickles my exploration brain. Also some great quality of life things like allowing you to downgrade crafting components make it feel like they really listen to players' concerns.

Probably died the most to Brother Eli so far, before seeing how CJacob did it and realising the shock drone is great. Gimme that mace!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The mace is an excellent weapon, and probably the unequivocal best in its category until late game. Being able to just use whatever weapon because you don't have that awful proficiency system from the first game is a plus. Pretty much every weapon type is viable to different degrees in different situations, except maybe single rigged which has gone from the overall best weapon class on 1 to worst in 2 largely because of its incredibly ponderous moveset.

Learn to parry. Once it clicks, the game operates on a whole different level.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

The mace is an excellent weapon, and probably the unequivocal best in its category until late game. Being able to just use whatever weapon because you don't have that awful proficiency system from the first game is a plus. Pretty much every weapon type is viable to different degrees in different situations, except maybe single rigged which has gone from the overall best weapon class on 1 to worst in 2 largely because of its incredibly ponderous moveset.

Learn to parry. Once it clicks, the game operates on a whole different level.

Oh yeah, Delver and the statues really made me sit down and learn to parry. It's incredibly satisfying, and coming back out of the garden and styling on the the AID mooks that were kicking my rear end earlier feels great.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The statues are pretty satisfying to parry. Really, the combat system in general is pretty satisfying. I'd like a third installment, but it doesn't seem likely. Maybe Atlas Fallen will be as satisfying to play, but the setting doesn't interest me much.

I think the Delver took me the longest time to beat. That boss is/was pretty rediculous. Or maybe I was just under-equipped or something.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sorry to necro but I didn't see an Atlas Fallen thread. Atlas Fallen is looking pretty cool, last week there was a gameplay video showing some of the game off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTMFd6vNS4

Also this video shows the traversal and one of the gauntlet abilities but also features a dig at the Ubisoft open world games. I am cautiously optimistic.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ineffiable posted:

I still haven't finished surge 1 but if this is just straight up improvements over the first it's staying on my wishlist.

Oh hey look at that. I have finally started the surge 1 just a few days ago, and likely over 5 years after originally buying it and at least four years from this anticipated post. Enjoying it so far!

Hopefully I'll get to surge 2 shorter than that!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The surge was amazing, and I think I almost preferred it to #2

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tagichatn posted:

Sorry to necro but I didn't see an Atlas Fallen thread. Atlas Fallen is looking pretty cool, last week there was a gameplay video showing some of the game off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTMFd6vNS4

Also this video shows the traversal and one of the gauntlet abilities but also features a dig at the Ubisoft open world games. I am cautiously optimistic.

the first few seconds of that trailer I was expecting the narrator to start addressing Agent 47

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

The surge was amazing, and I think I almost preferred it to #2

I enjoyed both 1 and 2, but was only able to finish 2 before getting distracted by something else, despite trying 1 both when it came out and after finishing 2. Something about the level design and combat flow in 2 just suited me better.

Especially the more foresty area was really nice I thought.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Surge 2 was better in most ways than Surge 1 aside from the story. But that's also a pretty big part of the game so I dunno, I think I liked Surge 2 better overall.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What would you say are major differences between surge 1 and 2?

Ive heard 2 is a lot more linear, but that means it's easier to navigate as well.

I can tell surge 1 was looping around in itself a lot, which means it was pretty hard to figure out if you were going the right way or unlocking a shortcut until you spent enough time to really understand the map layouts.

But I've heard 2 refines the combat and it's generally better to play (plus 1 is really weird how your combo have really kind of random pacing between attacks, like it could be a slow attack with two short followups so it was hard to balance getting attacks in safe window of opportunities)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Surge 2 is probably the second best advancement of Souls style combat after Nioh, which for me at least makes it a fantastic game. It’s more linear in the sense that it has less internal map loops than 1 but also the vast majority of the loops in 1 don’t really serve any purpose. 2 tends to be linear with more paths to get to the same place.

If you like Souls combat at all I can’t recommend 2 enough. If you’re more after the vibe in Souls style stuff, 2 is fine but nothing spectacular.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me the big reason why I prefer the first game is the atmosphere and the tone. The industrial hellscape is just way more effective and interesting than the comparatively bland city in 2. The Surge 1 had exactly one character that was cartoonishly over the top and weird, the Surge 2 meanwhile is full of 'em.

Second game has a more overall complete and coherent combat system, though I'm not personally a fan of the emphasis on parrying. The boss fights are, by and large, also much improved if still not exactly...good?

Map design, it's kind of a wash I guess. First game lacks a bit of a deft hand at proper signposting, pacing, and effective shortcut placement. But the second game shits up the map halfway through the game and navigation, while broadly less complicated, isn't actually all that much improved.

I've said it before but my ideal Surge game would liberally take good ideas from both game and merge them together.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

For me the big reason why I prefer the first game is the atmosphere and the tone. The industrial hellscape is just way more effective and interesting than the comparatively bland city in 2. The Surge 1 had exactly one character that was cartoonishly over the top and weird, the Surge 2 meanwhile is full of 'em.

Second game has a more overall complete and coherent combat system, though I'm not personally a fan of the emphasis on parrying. The boss fights are, by and large, also much improved if still not exactly...good?

Map design, it's kind of a wash I guess. First game lacks a bit of a deft hand at proper signposting, pacing, and effective shortcut placement. But the second game shits up the map halfway through the game and navigation, while broadly less complicated, isn't actually all that much improved.

I've said it before but my ideal Surge game would liberally take good ideas from both game and merge them together.

This reflects a lot of my opinions on the games. The tone was so good in the first one, probably right up until the very last area with all the gribblies that didn't really like

Maybe I'll go replay the games, it's been a while. But I'm almost due for a replay of sleeping dogs

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ilmucche posted:

This reflects a lot of my opinions on the games. The tone was so good in the first one, probably right up until the very last area with all the gribblies that didn't really like

Maybe I'll go replay the games, it's been a while. But I'm almost due for a replay of sleeping dogs

I'm about 99% done with the game (fairly certain I just stopped outside the final boss fight) but yeah I do have to say the game isn't badly designed but it is annoying how many times they use that dark hallway with yellow railings between rooms.

My least favorite areas are central production b (it takes hours to really get used to the layout and it is a giant mess. I appreciate the idea though) and the final area (it's not too bad but then has this weird part about needing to fall down a hole at a dead end and it's not that obvious and you've seen half a dozen dead ends like it)

Will take a break with other games but looking forward to starting surge 2 in a month or so.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 7, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've started a new run and just got into central production b. Forgot about weapon proficiency and how annoying it is to switch types.

Also didn't get pax 2.0 despite thinking I'd met the requirement uggghh

Guess I'll train up staffs a bit since I got the negotiator and then maybe go back to 1 handed, though I don't remember if there's a particularly good 1 handed weapon

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Make sure you do the theme park dlc in the surge 1, it is very very good. The wild west challenges dlc is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah creo world is a lot of fun. Was surprised at how early it's available, I forgot a bunch of this game but will leave it for later