Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

It's the great debate that has been bubbling under the surface of byob for years and it's time to let it out. Debate and discuss! Which opera related bugs/elmer toon is better: The Rabbit of Seville or What's Opera Doc?

Remember folks all perspectives are valid so please KEEP IT CIVIL

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Reserved

ty manifisto

nut

if u think the rabbit of seville is cool then ur wrong but im here accepting of u because i'm little bo peep and ur just a lost lamb in ur delusions that the rabbit of seville is cool lets take a closer look

wow what finesse what je ne sais quoi i'm just kidding i do know what it is and it is emotion, i can't look at this picture without crying now you've got me crying at work i hope your happy oh wait i know what will stop me from crying lets look at a shot from the crappit of smellville

wow freaking neato i'm still crying but now for bad reasons

listen what do you want to do on a saturday morning run the gamut of of emotional colours ride the rainbow of feelings join the nation of evocation or do you want to go to one of those dumb hipster barbers where some underqualified 22 year old entrepeneur gives u a shot of makers mark so u can't tell ur fade is uneven

ur honour i present the classic case of art vs fart and no, ur honour, i will not be silent, but i will be deadly

alnilam

Strong and fierce showing so far

ty manifisto

alnilam

Nut makes some good points. I'll add a little fuel to the fire as it were and give one thing i think each does better than the other

What's Opera Doc is really quite artful, as nut said. Many scenes are really well composed and work very well with Wagner's dramatic, sweeping score. However despite the music being good and fitting and even some of the singing is good, i find the interplay between music and action to be just okay

Rabbit of Seville, on the other hand, has a better and more playful interplay between the music and the action. It's really non stop gags that fit well to the tempo and tone of the music which was brilliantly modified by i assume carl stalling. However as nut pointed out it's not as artfully beautiful as What's Opera Doc

ty manifisto

Heather Papps

hello friend

i will explain my position but first i need my magic spear and helmet on and i think they are in the basement one minute please

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Goons Are Gifts

God I hope this time it doesn't break us apart as a community. :ohdear:

alnilam

Heather Papps posted:

i will explain my position but first i need my magic spear and helmet on and i think they are in the basement one minute please

Your spear and magic helmet?

ty manifisto

nut

shabby of arsehill

Heather Papps

hello friend

alnilam posted:

no i couldn't find a regular spear and magic helmet so i made do with what i have

nut

alnilam posted:

Nut makes some good points. I'll add a little fuel to the fire as it were and give one thing i think each does better than the other

What's Opera Doc is really quite artful, as nut said. Many scenes are really well composed and work very well with Wagner's dramatic, sweeping score. However despite the music being good and fitting and even some of the singing is good, i find the interplay between music and action to be just okay

Rabbit of Seville, on the other hand, has a better and more playful interplay between the music and the action. It's really non stop gags that fit well to the tempo and tone of the music which was brilliantly modified by i assume carl stalling. However as nut pointed out it's not as artfully beautiful as What's Opera Doc

hey carl what r u stalling for is it because you got to the production table and then realized that u can't cut the hair of a friggin bald man hehe

google THIS

alnilam posted:

Magic helmet.

death sext

As with all debates, I asked my mom and she said she knows a lot about Bugs Bunny on account of watching many of his shows. What's Opera Doc is a loving homage to Richard Wagner, less a comedy and more a work of art. Clearly Michael Maltese and Chuck Jones truly loved Der Ring des Nibelungen, as do we all. While this is undoubtedly a heartfelt animation, it is a poor Bugs Bunny cartoon. That it stars Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny is merely incidental. The classic pursuit antics of Fudd and Bunny are in service to telling the story of Siegfred and Brünnhilde. We weep as Siegfred carries off the body of his slain love. The fourth-wall-breaking, "Well, what did you expect in an opera? A happy ending?" is a scathing commentary on human nature and how we consume art. Furthermore, the horse is too Rubenesque and teaches bad values about horse healthcare and management.

I'll be back with her take on Rabbit of Seville after I eat my soup.

death sext

Ate my soup.

Rabbit of Seville cleverly shows us that this operatic farce is taking place in an actual staged opera, presumably interrupting the true show that was about to begin. It is humorous to imagine what the cast and crew were thinking about replaced by a talking trickster rabbit and a bumbling bald hunter. That we see the orchestra warming up allows us to become one with the audience, blending us with cartoon--the perfect immersion. Even more significant is that by showing us the real theatre, we know that Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd are their true selves against an external setting. We are allowed to laugh as they twist and warp the opera's songs to fit the comedic chaos they've introduced to the stage. There is no weeping, only tears of joy and laughter.

You can't argue with my mom or she'll ground me. I don't have any opinions on these two cartoons because my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon is the one with the red monster, the hairy one, which I really think we should talk about instead but that's just my opinion.

Escape From Noise

I'm too young and hip to know the difference between these old Disney cartoons...

FluffieDuckie

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I'm too young and hip to know the difference between these old Disney cartoons...

don't you dare :argh:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Escape From Noise

FluffieDuckie posted:

don't you dare :argh:

Now if you want to discuss uh...*does quick Google search* My Hero Academia...

Manifisto

so that I can weigh in on this debate, can somebody please inform me, as to each work:

* number of dildo(e)s
* number of racehorses

with the facts in hand, I believe we can make the comparison on an objective basis

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i cannot find my loving magic spear what the heck did my brother borrow it without telling me?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

i cannot find my loving magic spear what the heck did my brother borrow it without telling me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1e_Bulg

if ya'll see it let me know i am PISSED

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah buddy I bet your spear is a gay bulge alright :smug:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah buddy I bet your spear is a gay bulge alright :smug:

"belly spear"

redm

whats opera doc is objectively better because it was considered for an oscar nomination

sig by Manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Bugs Bunny: Cosmetologist is my personal favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cpX3qrzRfk

death sext

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

That is because you are a person of high intellect and a true Bugs Bunny connoisseur.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

death sext posted:

That is because you are a person of high intellect and a true Bugs Bunny connoisseur.

Why, thank you!

**jumps up and down a la Daffy Duck yelling "whoo! whoo!"and plunges through a me-shaped hole in a wall**

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It's a really good one

ty manifisto

cda

by Hand Knit
bugs bunnys expressions when he's shaving elmer in the rabbit of seville are funniest things that have ever been on film

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit
also want to give a s/o to the weird camera angles when bugs is the razor-snake charmer...its the little things

also bonus look at this expression lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

cda posted:

bugs bunnys expressions when he's shaving elmer in the rabbit of seville are funniest things that have ever been on film

drowsy, uncaring, calm, never taking his eyes off the viewer. it's perfect

ty manifisto

nut

i've been ruminating a bit longer and have this to say "crap pit of shabby" heh

death sext

nut posted:

i've been ruminating a bit longer and have this to say "crap pit of shabby" heh

Buster you're cruising for a bruising. I'm about to turn your head into a fruit salad bowl complete with whipped cream and a cherry on top

nut

death sext posted:

Buster you're cruising for a bruising. I'm about to turn your head into a fruit salad bowl complete with whipped cream and a cherry on top

im no scared when i'm done with you the paramedics will be hovering over you saying things like, "cool" and "how did you grow that moustache?"

death sext

Wow woooow I thought we were arguing in good faith but your fallacious attack on my character tells us all we need to know re: your dumb stinky brain.

If this is the level of discourse I can expect from this messageboard then I'll be taking my leave. Any true fans of Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes universe will join me. A hearty meh to the rest of you.

nut

if im reading this correctly it's a big win for me i will accep tmy internet tuff guy prize just let me pose it out for a bit aw yeah drink it in this is what intellectuality look like

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

if im reading this correctly it's a big win for me i will accep tmy internet tuff guy prize just let me pose it out for a bit aw yeah drink it in this is what intellectuality look like

"NEEEEEEERD"

death sext

This is Dylan's mom. Right after his previous post he got hit by a Ferrari and he died for real irl. His last words were your a big stupid a**hole who probably hasn't even watched Bugs Bunny before. On his grave it will say Rabbit of Seville rules and What's Opera Dork drools.

Please like this post in Dylan's honor even one like helps.

- Dylan's mom

Heather Papps

hello friend

death sext posted:

This is Dylan's mom. Right after his previous post he got hit by a Ferrari and he died for real irl. His last words were your a big stupid a**hole who probably hasn't even watched Bugs Bunny before. On his grave it will say Rabbit of Seville rules and What's Opera Dork drools.

- Dylan's mom

alnilam

death sext posted:

- Dylan's mom

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

im feling a deep conflict over dylan rn