Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How long do you think eating bugs will be the new hot thing
This poll is closed.
one year 7 6.54%
two years 9 8.41%
five years 22 20.56%
a decade 6 5.61%
NEVER 6 5.61%
g o k u 57 53.27%
Total: 107 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

Why is news media so rock hard about Americans eating bugs?

They're all, "Well people in dirt poor war zones have been eating bug for years." :smug:

Why don't we feed the bugs to real livestock so we don't have to turn dinner time into a Bear Grylls survival wankfest.

They want to make regular Americans poor and miserable while they stay rich and comfortable.

The bugs are indicative of the utter contempt they have for ordinary people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Zybourne Clock posted:

Summer 2050. A guy with hoops the size of a kid's bicycle wheels embedded into his earlobes and a beard that lost its fight with a weedwhacker welcomes the first guests to his yard. Time to start up the barbeque. The deck is cast in the soft blue hues of the lanterns hanging over head. A hapless bug flies into one of them and is summarily fried; the smell of burnt chitin fills the air. He inhales deeply. Hmmmmmmmm. Just like dad used to make.

He cracks open a diet kale beer.

Just curious what it's like to live in 1930's and be scared of everything around you

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It says $.29 on the bananas at Target and you think gently caress that's a good price per pound of nature's dildos but when you go to the register you realize they're charging you that price PER DILDO!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

JK Fresco posted:

They want to make regular Americans poor and miserable while they stay rich and comfortable.

poo poo, I think you're right.

Almost all of the stories I've read re entemophagy have a tinge of smug sadism.

"Eat less meat, or try meatless recipes? Nope gently caress your decadence and eat this handful of worms you piece of poo poo!"

naem
May 29, 2011

JK Fresco posted:

we’re heading in this direction full force aren’t we

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yes, and sardines are the cheat code.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Applewhite posted:

When the environment becomes so hosed that we have to find alternative protein sources, I’ll be firmly in the vat-grown algae eaters camp thank you.

I'm gonna eat people slower than me. :colbert:

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
If Target starts selling bug-meats, and you eat all the roaches in their bathroom, are you shoplifting?

Because I'm not really looking for my Thursday afternoons to become Crime Times.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

LadyPictureShow posted:

What's Target's protein bar selection like?

Was just at Target and did not see these
Disappointed

Didn't see the Snickers with peanut butter either

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LsMNs4hW1s

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Applewhite posted:

When the environment becomes so hosed that we have to find alternative protein sources, I’ll be firmly in the vat-grown algae eaters camp thank you.

I'll be in the vat too

swimming around, growing into a big strong algae boy with you

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

kazr posted:

I'll be in the vat too

swimming around, growing into a big strong algae boy with you

lol

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I love eating insects and I will continue to do so until this stupid planet catches fire. I buy them in bags and snack on them, raw-dog, or sprinkle them on salad and poo poo like that.

One time when I was drunk I ran into a guy selling grubs. He basically just heated a couple up for me, threw them on some toast. It was basically like eating bacon grease.

IMHO the way to do it is with insect flour. Cooked this way you can create something virtually indistinguishable from falafel. This is how I have converted two of my squeamish friends.

The next time the cicadas come out I will eat like a king. Everything I've read says you can just swap them out for shrimp. Cicada scampi! Cicada wrapped in bacon!

But in all due seriousness, I believe insects are going to be borderline necessary in the next 10-30 years as a part of our collective diet. And all of these people who are all like ewww-gross are going to be clamoring for loving mealworms the second Kylie Jenner sucks one down.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I hear you can also make falafel out of chickpeas but that may just be a rumor.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

bollig posted:

I love eating insects and I will continue to do so until this stupid planet catches fire. I buy them in bags and snack on them, raw-dog, or sprinkle them on salad and poo poo like that.

One time when I was drunk I ran into a guy selling grubs. He basically just heated a couple up for me, threw them on some toast. It was basically like eating bacon grease.

IMHO the way to do it is with insect flour. Cooked this way you can create something virtually indistinguishable from falafel. This is how I have converted two of my squeamish friends.

The next time the cicadas come out I will eat like a king. Everything I've read says you can just swap them out for shrimp. Cicada scampi! Cicada wrapped in bacon!

But in all due seriousness, I believe insects are going to be borderline necessary in the next 10-30 years as a part of our collective diet. And all of these people who are all like ewww-gross are going to be clamoring for loving mealworms the second Kylie Jenner sucks one down.

EVERY MORNING I OPEN PALM SLAM A CRICKET INTO MY MOUTH

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Rad-daddio posted:

poo poo, I think you're right.

Almost all of the stories I've read re entemophagy have a tinge of smug sadism.

"Eat less meat, or try meatless recipes? Nope gently caress your decadence and eat this handful of worms you piece of poo poo!"
It's really just an arbitrary cultural hangup that we think bugs aren't worthy food and that it's insulting to suggest we eat them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

I hear you can also make falafel out of chickpeas but that may just be a rumor.

You can also make it out of ground beef and put cream of mushroom soup on them and call it swedish meatballs.
That isn't the point.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Elukka posted:

It's really just an arbitrary cultural hangup that we think bugs aren't worthy food and that it's insulting to suggest we eat them.

Perhaps, but I think the current stance of "you're gonna eat bugs because you loving ruined the planet" isn't a good one.

If you made a Taco Bell™ Spicy Cricket enchilada I'd probably try it because new things are fun.

Also, food hangups relative to cultures are rather important. Can you even prepare a Kosher insect dish? Are there religions that forbid the consumption of insects? Stuff like that should be taken into consideration before BuzzFeed journos start trying to normalize bug consumption like it's the new Soylent Green.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

You can also make it out of ground beef and put cream of mushroom soup on them and call it swedish meatballs.
That isn't the point.

I think you need gjetost cheese for proper Swedish meatballs.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The targets near me look like poorly managed dollar stores with no selection, most stuff out of stock and what's there is either on the (wrong)shelf or on the floor. So there's probably plenty of bugs already there, free for the eatin'

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gjetost is kinda gross though.
I feel bad about that because I am SUPER into weird food flavors, textures, and neat stuff like that in general.
Plus my wife works as a dairy scientist and would be mad that I'm poo poo talking niche cheese, but I'm just not a fan.
I've tried, repeatedly, believe me. But it's just not for me I guess.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If you shop in an urban supermarket your palette is already accustomed to insects and rodent feces.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think pigs are a lowly beast much worse than any insect

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rad-daddio posted:

I think you need gjetost cheese for proper Swedish meatballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbL2Hj61Vog

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

That isn't the point.

What exactly is the point of eating ground up bugs that apparently at best "actually aren't that bad", when you could just eat vegetables that are actually good?

I'll tell you what the point is: Profit for Big Bug.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

Can you even prepare a Kosher insect dish?

Lol no

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've always had a pet conspiracy theory that they've been preparing us to get used to eating bugs by calling meat by the name of 'protein' in cooking shows and stuff. I was always a fan of cooking shows and around the late 2000's they started calling any kind of meat, protein. Shortly before that, there were programs talking about people having to get used to eating insects because of how they can be farmed more sustainably. Obviously a coincidence but...

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/tAdrNQNP8ew

algae farm

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
update I am currently drinking a bear and eating mealworms, delish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Was making a pizza earlier, and I accidentally rolled a gnat into the dough, but in the spirit of this thread, I ate it anyway.