Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Destroyers are weird. Took me a while to figure out the mine launcher and the rest of their guns are highly limited in arc and kinda like throwing spitballs. Needs a strong spinal gun or something cuz mines are all they have going for them and they run out quick. Havent figured out the point of the warp jammer.

Interceptors feel kinda pointless. They arnt really better than bombers and bombers are way better against big things.

Carrier was cool except its a big old KILL ME pinata to any cruiser hanging around and thers like nothing you can do about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Bombers are absolutely helpless against a good inty player, the turn rate alone assures that, they can reasonably take down corvettes too (at least I find it to be reasonably doable.)

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Added a link to this guide to the OP links section.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

most interceptors arnt players though and its not a 1v1 battlefield.

In any case you can lose bombers 3 to 1 against interceptors, it doesnt matter as long as your making GBS threads out a few torps each time.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Bombers can fan out some missiles against interceptors so they're not really helpless. Interceptors are good for piling up some early cash though. Or warp ramming cruisers to death apparently.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This game needs picket NPCs keeping guard at bases. That or the defense turrets need a huge buff. It is waaaaay too easy to cruiser cheese right now.

Just hop in a bomber at the start of the game and blow up infrastructure until you reach 1000 credits. Grab a cruiser and then start warping to all the undefended enemy bases and blow up all their spawning platforms. Just keep hopping to the undefended bases and eventually the enemy team won't have any more bases that can spawn capital ships anymore.

They never figure out what is happening because by the time the game spawns a defense mission to deal with you, half the platforms are already destroyed.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Dev stream starting real soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMA9d_oblkk

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Is there any background sim/metagame/persistence, or is it just Deathmatches In Space forever?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

mdxi posted:

Is there any background sim/metagame/persistence, or is it just Deathmatches In Space forever?

So far the game takes place in only one battlescape(in this case a jovian system with 4 moons and a big asteroid), match lasts for a few hours up to a day depending on performance of the players.
On the final release they plan to have a bigger system with multiple battlescapes so each round would be fighting over a single battlescape until the whole campaign for the entire system is done.

The main draw will still be the scale of the battles which get loving crazy.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Everything should be great but I can't stand to play the game after a couple hours. It isn't that it's bad or missing content (which is a problem), it's just that it doesn't feel great. Other than landing a mine with a destroyer playing any of the capital ships just feels dull. Cruiser and Destroyer weapons are small and pitiful except for maybe the actual sound of the cruiser big guns. Carriers, unless I'm missing something, are basically just sacrificing your fun for allowing local spawns until everything gunning for you gets the kill. Interceptor and Bomber feels decent enough. Can't really speak to corvette as I've not given it a fair shake, although my initial impression is it's going to feel like the carrier unless you're in a dedicated group. Maybe a better battlescape variety would make the difference but really my problem just comes down to other than the bomber and interceptor it just feels sad and underwhelming to fly anything else, and I'm the kind of person that loves slow big hitting behemoth's in my internet space ships.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I played for a few hours today during the dev stream and it was hands down the most fun I've had in a game in ages. Being on voice comms with your team makes things sooo much better since you know where everybody is and can do cool poo poo like warping with 50 other players to attack a location.

This game has a lot of potential. Play this you bads.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nessin posted:

Carriers, unless I'm missing something, are basically just sacrificing your fun for allowing local spawns until everything gunning for you gets the kill.

On the dev stream today they talked about that and said they are going to try to make the carriers more fun to play. They are thinking about maybe letting the carrier player take control of an AI fighter at will.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

nessin posted:

Everything should be great but I can't stand to play the game after a couple hours. It isn't that it's bad or missing content (which is a problem), it's just that it doesn't feel great. Other than landing a mine with a destroyer playing any of the capital ships just feels dull. Cruiser and Destroyer weapons are small and pitiful except for maybe the actual sound of the cruiser big guns. Carriers, unless I'm missing something, are basically just sacrificing your fun for allowing local spawns until everything gunning for you gets the kill. Interceptor and Bomber feels decent enough. Can't really speak to corvette as I've not given it a fair shake, although my initial impression is it's going to feel like the carrier unless you're in a dedicated group. Maybe a better battlescape variety would make the difference but really my problem just comes down to other than the bomber and interceptor it just feels sad and underwhelming to fly anything else, and I'm the kind of person that loves slow big hitting behemoth's in my internet space ships.
You can destroy an enemy cruiser in like 30 seconds with just your cruiser torpedo launchers and Mk6+7s. You can also take a base down to 50% in less than 4-5 minutes with a cruiser if you don't get killed. Cruisers are probably too deadly and durable to non-torpedos for their current cost really.

Mines also incredibly mess up the guns on a cruiser, are a huge pain to counter, and destroyers can also disrupt warps so enemy cruisers can't warp out if for some reason they need to save money by repairing instead of getting a new cruiser.

Corvettes are for reloading everyone's ammo so your bombers can just go ham on shooting destroyers and bases with torpedos forever. If someone is really bad at shooting picking a corvette would be really useful since the repair/reload mechanic just automatically happens around you.

Carriers currently should be parked too far away for people to notice is actually nearby or want to warp to but close enough that people can spawn bombers there and get back faster. Which is kind of bad for the carrier player. In theory if cruisers weren't so cheap and carriers so expensive it would work way better since you could afford to lose carriers a bit more easily and people would less often have the boats that can kill you quickly.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

queef anxiety posted:

Well rip no shooty mans for me

Raged posted:

Would love to play this, but with no Au/NZ server there is no point. Singapore is a horrible place to host a server.

Heads up, Australian server has been launched and it does have a fair number of people on it!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Nalin posted:

On the dev stream today they talked about that and said they are going to try to make the carriers more fun to play. They are thinking about maybe letting the carrier player take control of an AI fighter at will.

Make the carrier a local commander, like in BF2, give them the ability to set orders/objectives/provide buffs and other things. The game desperately needs wings or squads and orders or something. It's basically space battlefield so might as well add in the team coordination aspects as well.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

they should just have carriers work like sunderers in planetside. you drive it to somewhere near the battle and park it then get out. I can't really think of anything they could do with making it fun to play that still wouldn't end in a player cruiser immediately warping on you and you getting rekt. Its like carriers need a 25km warp disruptor to even function. Maybe they really should work like sunderers and have a deploy mode that gives them a camo bubble and a disruptor bubble or something.

Good point about the bombers and sitting next to corvettes. It seems to be the optimal way to play them yet it also seems really lame. Bombers should have high potential output at close range rather than being long range missile boats. Make the torpedos dumbfire (short effective range), or change it to Space Bombs, or something. Short ranged bombers would also increase their counterplay with interceptors.

I am not sure what can be done about cruiserrushing station, except maybe defense sats that make it hard to assault. Like they have a laser that overheats ships which drastically reduces their kinetic firepower.

E: I find it kinda weird how every ship can poo poo out missiles and the only thing stopping life from being 100% missile hell is that the AI doesnt do it.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 29, 2019

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Dev stream starting real soon, Hutch playing on EU #1 server
Steam stream this time.

https://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198963081772

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

tried to drive a carrier

got attacked by literally 30 or 40 torpedos in one giant salvo

not sure what you can even do about that, except try to warp the instant you hear a torpedo warning

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

TheCoach posted:

Heads up, Australian server has been launched and it does have a fair number of people on it!

nice, thanks for the update.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Make the torpedos dumbfire (short effective range), or change it to Space Bombs, or something. Short ranged bombers would also increase their counterplay with interceptors.

Hold V and turn off Safety Lock. This makes torpedoes dumb fire. They are very hard to use, though, as they are slow and inherit ship velocity.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I’ll probably pick this up later today. My twin has been giving good reviews.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Things I've been noticing.

Interceptor play is fun, I don't really like any of the other ships. But interceptor play is tactical and interesting in more than just a boom and zoom way. It's a pity that the int/bomber/capital ship meta seems to die out later on with just capships and the bomber.

It does seem like the game turns into essentially 2 ongoing different battles with PVE rather than player on player, people just naturally migrate away from PVP based on what is going on, if you are outnumbered by players you have to warp out.

Planets are pointless really, they are a cool backdrop but apart from that and slightly changing the dynamics maybe the infrastructure needs laying out in a different way and the areas need more features and different flight dynamics to change up combat on planets (canyons, mountains, atmosphere etc)

It's hard to know what is going on are we winning or not? Does it matter, it seems not.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Most of the unclarity about state of the match is due to the map being unfinished and lacking a clear readout of stuff.

Anyways, patch is gonna come today so we'll see what changes(this one is probably bug-fixes and maybe quick necessary balance changes).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

On the starmap screen you can see the bars at the top for a rough idea of how many of your station/base/facility parts remain. A whole compound is worth about 300-500 depending on size.

The planets are the ones that generate haulers that give your team more money when they successfully reach the space stations. But I've been unable to tell if keeping/losing those really does anything, or if that's because cruisers are so easy to afford and destroying things gets you way more money than the hauler split.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Watching the odd one or two people streaming this on Twitch at odd hours is really scratching my Tie Fighter/Freescape itch. I haven't heard much in the grapevine about this game, do they have no advertising budget?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Pacra posted:

Watching the odd one or two people streaming this on Twitch at odd hours is really scratching my Tie Fighter/Freescape itch. I haven't heard much in the grapevine about this game, do they have no advertising budget?
It's like a 5-6 employee studio I think?

So no, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Any progression worth mentioning yet?

I like the game but it lacks end game still. Moving along at a slow pace is better than no pace I suppose. Here’s hoping anyways! 🤞