Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Though not my first, my real first was redhat 4 that i bought on like 12 CDs from a computer show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
ahhh, i remember that brief period when corel's design stuff was free and on linux, good times

totally saw corel linux at my university bookstore and lol'd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i too had corel linux

:canada:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i too had corel linux

:canada:

:canada::hf::canada:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Though not my first, my real first was redhat 4 that i bought on like 12 CDs from a computer show

corel linux. with the GIMP

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

mandriva was my first linux. i remember feeling like the ultimate hacker for installing it. then i abandoned it for ubuntu after a few months because i couldn't get the compiz-fusion cube desktop thing to work which was _extremely_ important to me at the time.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I legit used Mandrake only because it was the easiest/most polished installer in 1999. But i used it to install Enlightenment so i could use the macos9 theme and pretend i was rich like the other college kids with their actual macs.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol nice

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

corel linux. with the GIMP

Now I really want to make an avatar that's the Corel hot air balloon taking off, getting a hole, then crashing and burning

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I legit used Mandrake only because it was the easiest/most polished installer in 1999. But i used it to install Enlightenment so i could use the macos9 theme and pretend i was rich like the other college kids with their actual macs.

Who the gently caress would want to pretend to be running Mac os 9?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pretty much every single linux DE ever created has been emulating either nextstep, osx, macos 9, or windows 95/XP

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

pram posted:

pretty much every single linux DE ever created has been emulating either nextstep, osx, macos 9, or windows 95/XP

perennial linuxtruths

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i bought debian at a compusa in 2000, it was $20 and impossible to install without a 2nd computer available to look up errors

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

linux: ah the man system is so good, it always lets people figure stuff out

me: what if it fucks up before man is installed

linux: ah so perfect our system, infallible in every way

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Share Bear posted:

it can’t fail, it can only be failed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

dont forget cde clones

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Share Bear posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
windowmaker

Last Chance