Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnmwXtOo0U

http://antiquiet.com/music/2019/09/desert-sessions-rise-again-with-vol-11-12/

quote:

The Queen Vulture Joshua Homme has announced the (very) long awaited next two installments of the Desert Sessions series, to be released October 25th on Matador Records. Vol. 11 & 12 will mark the first revival of this musical adventure camp series in 16 years. Between 1997 and 2003, various incarnations of that group released a total of 10 albums, each one mired in secrecy and mythology, including drug-addled creative sessions in the desert and unbilled guests.

The press release reads: “The results are eight new songs that embody the legacy of freedom from expectations and inhibitions that stretches back to 1997, when Homme led a first retreat to the Joshua Tree desert. What began as a casual writing and recording session amongst friends—isolated from daily distractions and comforts—has since become a possibly infinite body of work. Now spanning 12 volumes over the course of two decades (and a total of two documented live performances), The Desert Sessions has featured some of music’s most cherished icons—past players have included Polly Harvey, Mark Lanegan, Josh Freese, Dean Ween, among many others—deliberately removing themselves from their comfort zones and working together to create some of their most relaxed yet challenging work.”

Entitled Arrivederci Despair and Tightwads & Nitwits & Critics & Heels, Vols. 11 & 12 were recorded over six days in Joshua Tree, California in December 2018 with a cast of players sexy enough for a new brand of lube. The main offenders include ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons, Warpaint’s Stella Mozgawa, Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears, Royal Blood’s Mike Kerr, Autolux’s Carla Azar, Primus’ Les Claypool, Chavez’s Matt Sweeney, British comedian and actor Matt Berry, Libby Grace, and Töôrnst Hülpft.

Tracklist:
Move Together (lead vocal: Billy F. Gibbons)
Noses in Roses Forever (lead vocal: Joshua Homme)
Far East for the Trees
If You Run (lead vocal: Libby Grace)
Crucifire (lead vocal: Mike Kerr)
Chic Tweetz (vocals: Töôrnst Hülpft, Matt Berry)
Something You Can’t See (lead vocal: Jake Shears)
Easier Said Than Done (lead vocal: Joshua Homme)

I swear that between this and Tool, in a month or two's time we're going to get a new Rage Against The Machine album.

Preorder links:
https://desertsessions.ffm.to/vols11and12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Is this out on any streaming services? I don't see it on Google Play Music.

Edit: Nevermind, it actually is there. Looks like it's just the previous albums that are missing.

pairofdimes fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 25, 2019

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The first two songs are loving sick and more than make up for Villains sucking dogshit but the rest is pretty underwhelming honestly. And at 32 minutes it definitely could have used a little more to keep me interested. 2/5.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqjsiGyCYE
Unfucking believable.

Just try listening to this just once and not immediately replaying it.

Edit: The world needs more Töôrnst Hülpft.

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 28, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My record was supposed to deliver on Friday, but instead it delivered today on my day off. I can't wait to play it tomorrow night though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
This album is catchy as gently caress. I am kind of sad its only 8 tracks, but all of them are pretty awesome.

Hoping Noses in Roses gets promoted to the full album next. Easier Said Than Done seems like a lost Clockwork track, which is dope.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Handen posted:

The first two songs are loving sick and more than make up for Villains sucking dogshit but the rest is pretty underwhelming honestly. And at 32 minutes it definitely could have used a little more to keep me interested. 2/5.

I thought Villains was wonderful. What did you not like about it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For QotSA, their albums kept on getting better in quality with every release, although I wasn't too much of a fan of Lullabies to Paralyze. Villains was the first album in a streak of like 4 albums that didn't seem to be better than the one before it.

As for Desert Sessions 11/12, I thought it was alright. I've only listened to it once, and there were two tracks on the 12 that didn't do it for me. Chic Tweetz was borderline annoying, and the track after that had not the greatest vocalist either.

My wife, who doesn't care for this kind of music, was also taken aback by how short the record was.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
My man crush on Billy Gibbons continues...

I quite enjoyed this, short but sweet. Noses in Roses just won't leave my head and that's a good thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

I swear that between this and Tool, in a month or two's time we're going to get a new Rage Against The Machine album.

Holy poo poo, I made it happen y'all!

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1190302036815953920

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haha came to post this yup

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Since the QOTSA thread is hella old, I guess this goes here: Josh Homme & Brody Dalle are getting divorced

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Since the QOTSA thread is hella old, I guess this goes here: Josh Homme & Brody Dalle are getting divorced

Probably the drinking.

My other grievance with him is a Desert Sessions 11/12 promo shot:

Everyone else dressed up or was doing something funny. Not Mr loving Cool here right in the middle. Has to be rock and roll serious guy. Between the drinking and that, I imagine he's no fun to be around.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

Probably the drinking.

My other grievance with him is a Desert Sessions 11/12 promo shot:

Everyone else dressed up or was doing something funny. Not Mr loving Cool here right in the middle. Has to be rock and roll serious guy. Between the drinking and that, I imagine he's no fun to be around.

Les Claypool is just wearing normal street clothes though.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, rolled up jeans is too loving cool for school. My preschooler wears his new pants like that, and gently caress him too!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

I thought Villains was wonderful. What did you not like about it?

I've been revisiting the album and the songs aren't that bad but the production really interferes with them, in my opinion. I think the band went with a new producer for that album who usually handles pop albums? It really sounds like they didn't know what to do because an obviously great tune like 'Feet Don't Fail Me' sounds very muted and dull when someone better would have it sounding excellent. The most obvious comparison I think is to 'Smooth Sailing' from the prior album and the difference in production for these songs really stands out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"The Way You Used To Do" and "The Evil Has Landed" sounded amazing though, in their own unorthodox sort of way. So many other songs on the album just don't seem like they're playing on that level.

I'm still irrationally angry about what a boring song "Hideaway" is. You can't afford that on a 9-song album, man.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m listening to volume 7 now. Is there any good way of legally acquiring these past albums? They should have reissued them when 11 & 12 came out.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

"The Way You Used To Do" and "The Evil Has Landed" sounded amazing though, in their own unorthodox sort of way.

Imagine how amazing they'd sound if they had the same production quality as 'Like Clockwork' :smith:

I hope they avoid Mark Ronson with the next album and it would be nice to hear some of the older members but the band has evolved so much that I'm not sure if it would even be appropriate? A track with Mark Lanegan would be fantastic and it seems Josh and Nick Oliveri are on good terms again since he joined Queens on stage to perform a couple songs at the end of the tour for 'Like Clockwork' which has me hopeful that a future album might have a traditional screaming Nick song.

Edit: Turns out Nick and Mark actually provided vocals on 'Like Clockwork'?! Lanegan provided backup vocals on 'Fairweather Friends' and Oliveri provided backup vocals on 'If I Had a Tail' according to Wikipedia. I had no idea and haven't recognized them at all (but there's multiple songs where I can make out who I think is Trent Reznor singing) so that's surprised me. It would still be nice if they had their own songs with sole vocal duties, though.

In general Josh Homme news as well, I don't know if anyone's heard it but he provided vocals for a cover of Elvis Costello's 'What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding?' by Sharon Van Etten. Has cute footage of Josh at home with his kids and is a good cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvIBsyLePtQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Reznor is extremely audible on "Kalopsia", he's actually the lead vocal on the first line of the first chorus (Oh, why you so sad, what have you done). Not sure if he's anywhere else though. I've known about the Lanegan & Oliveri guest spots as well, but for the life of me I've never really been able to make them out specifically. But you can kind of sense their presence.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 22, 2020