Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/27/world/americas/haiti-protests-moise.html

quote:

By The Associated Press

Sept. 27, 2019, 6:20 p.m. ET

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Thousands of protesters seeking to oust President Jovenel Moise attacked businesses and government buildings across Haiti Friday, creating chaos on the streets after a weekslong shutdown of vital services that has damaged the country’s ailing economy and shaken the president’s already tenuous position.

In the capital, Port-au-Prince, hundreds of opposition supporters ransacked a police station used by a special tactical unit, hauling out office furniture and even Kevlar vests and ammunition. An Avis car rental office and Western Union branch were also attacked and burned.

Several houses in the Delmas neighborhood were burned and groups of protesters hurled rocks at the police, who responded with tear gas. A radio station in the city of Jacmel reported that a courthouse there had burned.

“We are telling the people who live in the Cite Soleil area and the Haitian population to rise up to overthrow this government because President Jovenel Moise is not doing anything for us, just killing us,” said Francois Pericat, a protester.

Opposition leaders pledged that there would be no peace until Mr. Moise, who took office in 2017, steps down.

Senator Youri Latortue, one of the opposition leaders, told Radio Caraibes that “if Jovenel doesn’t resign today, whatever happens to him is not our responsibility.”

“Jovenel Moise will be held accountable for everything that happens in the country today,” he said.

Haiti has seen months of protests over the government’s reluctance to investigate accusations that Mr. Moise’s allies had embezzled and wasted billions in proceeds from a Venezuelan program to aid Haiti with subsidized oil. Those protests have been followed by strikes and violent demonstrations as the government has proved unable to import enough fuel to meet the nation’s daily needs.

For three weeks, leaders of opposition parties have sent groups of young men onto the streets to enforce a shutdown of businesses and public services, which opposition leaders pledged would continue over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/madanboukman/status/1177657684964859909?s=20

quote:

During escalating protests, journalist Rospide Petion was killed in the evening June 10, 2019 on his way home from Radio Sans Fin in Port-au-Prince, where he was a host. This day Rospide Petion just criticized Haitian government on the radio, before going home. He was shot in a car owned by Radio Sans Fin by unknown gunman.During escalating protests, journalist Rospide Petion was killed in the evening June 10, 2019 on his way home from Radio Sans Fin in Port-au-Prince, where he was a host. This day Rospide Petion just criticized Haitian government on the radio, before going home. He was shot in a car owned by Radio Sans Fin by unknown gunman.

Since February 2nd there have been protests seeking to oust President Moise for basically stealing Venezuelan fuel funds that belonged to the people. Protesters have been demanding his resignation and a restoration of the fuel distribution program, but have been met with deadly police violence instead. It's now escalated to the point where the protests have turned into an active insurgency where Haitians are directly targeting the police.

So what does the United States have to say about it?

quote:

https://www.voanews.com/americas/us-deplores-haiti-violence

February 13, 2019 09:00 AM

"We support the right of all people to demand a democratic and transparent government and to hold their government leaders accountable," a State Department spokesperson for Western Hemisphere Affairs told VOA, "but there is no excuse for violence. Violence leads to instability, less investment, and fewer jobs."

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Justice for Haiti!

I don't know anything about Haiti, but if the people are mad, we must support the people.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So what does the United States have to say about it?

:thunk:

lol I love it. Its always the same.

"Yea we totally agree with your right to resist cruel oppressors you but not if it means losing profit and being inconvenient for me."

D.Ork Bimboolean has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Sep 28, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

lol I love it. Its always the same.

"Yea we totally agree with your right to resist oppressors cruely oppressing you but not if it means losing profit and being inconvenient for me."

violence in Venezuela: :thumbsup:
violence in Nicaragua: :thumbsup:
violence in Hong Kong: :thumbsup:

violence in Haiti: woah hold on now let's not get too hasty

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sudan

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Haiti rises up and shoots all the bankers and takes all their poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Haiti is the result of the world's only successful slave rebellion, and they straight-up killed every white slave owner upon independence. also they make the best rum and have better beef patties than Jamaica. they deserve justice for loving once

i know he doesn't have anything to do with this, but gently caress Wyclef Jean

Taintrunner posted:

it's what Toussaint L'ouverture would have wanted

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Sep 30, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Haiti is the result of the world's only successful slave rebellion, and they straight-up killed every white slave owner upon independence. also they make the best rum and have better beef patties than Jamaica. they deserve justice for loving once

i know he doesn't have anything to do with this, but gently caress Wyclef Jean

it's what Toussaint L'ouverture would have wanted

I mean Toussaint did try and sell them on the fact that slavery was actually necessary think of the economy so ehhhh

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey did you know that Haiti was an American colony in all but name in the early 1900s, and they reoriented its entire educational system to be trade work? i didn't, until recently

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Toussaint did try and sell them on the fact that slavery was actually necessary think of the economy so ehhhh
that sucks, how come he's considered the founding figure of the country? also, didn't he die before Haiti's actual independence? martyrdom will wash away a lot of sins

anyway, what i'm trying to get at is that i'd love for history to repeat itself 215 years later

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
he’s the founding father because he did ultimately make the country a thing but his official policy was that after slavery ended the economy needed the plantations so he was forced to pressure civies to work them.

it also helps that before his popularity cratered completely the French forced their way back in and took him out beforehand which in a choice between him and the French the choice was obvious

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

he’s the founding father because he did ultimately make the country a thing but his official policy was that after slavery ended the economy needed the plantations so he was forced to pressure civies to work them.

it also helps that before his popularity cratered completely the French forced their way back in and took him out beforehand which in a choice between him and the French the choice was obvious
a fun little bit of alternate history to think about is if Napoleon didn't try to reinstate slavery in Haiti and instead used black officers there to go after the US. we'd all probably be speaking French now

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You'll have to forgive the US, we lost so much investment in human resources during Haiti's first revolution

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is Moise the guy who was a musician before going into politics, or was that his predecessor?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Haiti owns

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Haitians deserve to kill everyone in the IMF and UN and world bank and even that wouldn’t be close to enough payback for all the colonial horrors they still face

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

a fun little bit of alternate history to think about is if Napoleon didn't try to reinstate slavery in Haiti and instead used black officers there to go after the US. we'd all probably be speaking French now

Just not sending hundreds of thousands of French to die of tropical diseases in Haiti may have turned things around on the continent.

https://twitter.com/HaitiInfoProj/status/1177630941189009408?s=20

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvpUgo7ayY

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ansel/status/1180181836527480833?s=20

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Haiti deserves so much reparations it’s incredible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hmmm no much rather talk about how horrible it is bougie shitheads in hong kong are aggrieved and how this is literally chinese fascism

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Jean-Jacques Dessalines did nothing wrong

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah but where is Killary's tweet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Siljmonster posted:

Yeah but where is Killary's tweet

i dunno did she tweet about those Christians she bailed out for trafficking Haitian kids?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
:tastykake:

Rodatose has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Jul 4, 2020

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Solidarity with Haiti.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

protests outside bookstores during clinton's signing tour are colliding with the qanon crowd

https://twitter.com/thewatchfulmom/status/1180535128013131776

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

protests outside bookstores during clinton's signing tour are colliding with the qanon crowd

https://twitter.com/thewatchfulmom/status/1180535128013131776

If Donald wants to win reelection He should lock them up.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Rodatose posted:

As the aftermath rolled on, camps for displaced peoples were created. Conditions were abysmal there, cramped, unsafe, and unhygienic (notably, a cholera epidemic took place in the wake of the earthquake). All the while, NGOs - the charitable organizations like the Red Cross raised fat stacks of money off sympathetic images of misery, vowing that they would help. Since free public resources are what was needed (and that is not something NGOs of the neoliberal order can provide - strengthening the public sphere to rid the world of suffering is in opposition to the continued existence of NGOs and charitable orgs), most projects failed to help the people in any substantial way. They did their marketing spin and left.

The cholera epidemic is an especially frustrating example of how the international community deals with Haiti. Cholera is not naturally occurring in Haiti's water, it has to transfer person-to-person, and hadn't existed in Haiti for over 100 years. In the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake, the United Nations sent aid workers, with a group of 200 or so having active or recent cholera infections, the latrines in the camp this group of UN aid workers constructed to stay in weren't dug properly deep enough and during a rainstorm water from the latrine got into a nearby river. In the most recent report from 2016, 800,000 Haitians have been infected and 10,000 have died. The UN denied responsibility for the epidemic until 2017. Cholera still hasn't been fully eliminated in Haiti and the costs to the Haitian government in fighting it have been over $40 Billion, of which the United Nations has only paid for 2% of, leaving Haiti to foot the bill itself.

The current plan for eliminating cholera estimates it should be complete in 3 more years, assuming that funding stays stable and there are no natural disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Haiti got some problems.