Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Does anybody have suggestions of books or material to read about dealing with anxiety and depression as an autistic person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

nesamdoom posted:

I'm kinda curious if it's normal to push poo poo to be worse, or if I'm just the kind of person to make stuff worse and see what happens.

I do this all the time. I don't know if it's normal but it's because the mode I exist in is always kinda figuring out where boundaries to things are so I know what my limits are - I'm way more comfortable knowing what I can work with in various situations. It's always an 'oh no' moment when I realize that yes, I've found the limit for X, Y, or Z, but I've also totally hosed it. Which yes, is followed by a 'why am I like this???' moment, sigh.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I do this all the time. I don't know if it's normal but it's because the mode I exist in is always kinda figuring out where boundaries to things are so I know what my limits are - I'm way more comfortable knowing what I can work with in various situations. It's always an 'oh no' moment when I realize that yes, I've found the limit for X, Y, or Z, but I've also totally hosed it. Which yes, is followed by a 'why am I like this???' moment, sigh.

Yea, that moment of 'oops' gets me often enough to question it.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Black Feather posted:

Does anybody have suggestions of books or material to read about dealing with anxiety and depression as an autistic person?

I'm not sure I know of any books that deal specifically with anxiety and depression but most of the books I have read address it as kind of a central theme of being autistic, if that makes sense. I always recommend Unmasking Autism by Devon Price.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

The Doctor posted:

I'm not sure I know of any books that deal specifically with anxiety and depression but most of the books I have read address it as kind of a central theme of being autistic, if that makes sense. I always recommend Unmasking Autism by Devon Price.

The author put out a new book recently called Unlearning Shame which could be relevant since it talks about dealing with anxiety, depression, etc. though it isn't specifically for autistic people. I haven't read it yet though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Thank you for the recs, I'll try to get my hands on those.

The clinic wants me to have an actual evaluation, because at this point they are pretty sure I'm on the spectrum and having documents on hand will enable them to provide more help for me and have it covered by my insurance, and my emotions about it all are still a complete mess.