Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Wrestling Promotion for September
This poll is closed.
WWE 0 0%
NJPW 14 51.85%
CMLL 1 3.70%
ROH 0 0%
PWG 2 7.41%
GCW 5 18.52%
AAA 0 0%
Comedy Option: IMPACT 2 7.41%
Other 3 11.11%
Total: 27 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I've decided to start a new monthly poll! Nobody asked for this! It will start at the end of each month, bleeding into the next with the poll open for only about a week or so. We're going to determine a collective opinion on which wrestling promotion was the best this month! There are many ways to quantify best. Do you think that the promotion that made the most money and put on the most shows is the best? You can vote for that one! Do you think the best promotion is the one that had the best shows and best matches? You can vote for that! The choice and definition of best is up to you guys. Now there are a lot of promotions out there, so the ones that get included on the poll will usually be ones that have run more than two shows a month that are easily viewable by a majority of wrestling fans, or at the very least ones that get a lot of buzz.

Now the case for the ones on the poll!

WWE: Big month for WWE! They held their Clash of Champions ppv, which judging by most responses, didn't set the world on fire. But they did re-debut NXT on TV on the USA Network, with both shows having really notable matches in Keith Lee vs Dijakovich and Roderick Strong vs Velveteen Dream. The move to USA on Wednesday's is being done in anticipation from rival startup AEW's new Wednesday addition, which premieres October 2 on TNT. The majority of the month seems to be a lot of plate setting for their big changes which all start in October.

NJPW: NJPW had a very busy month in this post G1 Climax season. Their Destruction tour had a lot of really strong cards with big matches that should be sought out, key ones being Robbie Eagles and Will Ospreay vs Ishimori and El Phantasmo, Kota Ibushi vs KENTA, and even Tetsuya Naito vs Jay White. More key matches were set up for their main show in October. Additionally, they held another tour of the US, this time running independently of ROH and hitting major markets in Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. Your NJPW World subscription probably felt very worth it by this time.

CMLL: The majority of the month was business more or less as usual, starting out with a joint tour with ROH in the american midwest, the company also put on their 86th Anniversary show, but then making waves at the end of the month by publicly firing major stars Rush and Dragon Lee from the company. Please seek out the Hair vs Hair Cage match, featuring such wrestlers as Most Improved Wrestler for 2015 Big Daddy Yum Yum, Barbaro Cavernario, Ultimo Guerrero, Ciber The Main Man, and more.

ROH: They're still staying afloat. They were able to re-sign the former ROH World Champion Matt Taven, but how the contract of Marty Scurll goes in November still remains to be seen. They had a shaky tour co-promoting with CMLL earlier in the month, and just held their yearly Death Before Dishonor event, drawing a few hundred despite a highly tauted RUSH vs Matt Taven main event. The company without question has lost so much momentum since losing the Elite a year ago and they are very visibly still in the middle of a rebuilding phase.

GCW: One company that isn't in rebuild mode is GCW! They held two strong, two very very different shows this month. The first was the second Bloodsport event of the year, a special show where the ring has no ropes, and matches are only won via KO or Submission, with a focus on a more martial arts style presentation. It's not for everyone but it's a very different, cool style of wrestling that isn't showcased very often. There will be more Bloodsport in the future. Their second show of the month was a more typical GCW affair, being the fourth Nick Gage Invitational show. There were death matches, and maybe more importantly, Marko Stunt and Tracy Smothers, which is another match in GCW's history of putting on really strange but enticing bouts, like last month's Jerry Lawler vs Mance Warner bout. Tonight though, they hold the final independent date of homebrewed star Joey Janela, who will be accompanied by the legendary superhumman! This will probably be a can't miss event if you love independent wrestling.

AAA: Triple A only ran one major show this month, but it was still impressive! They held their first ever show at the hulu theater inside of MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.

IMPACT: Impact ran some shows to set up Bound for Glory and bought AXS TV to get themselves a better TV deal. There isn't much else to really note, but that's still huge news for a company that on its previous TV deal broke for commercial and then just never came back!

AEW: AEW didn't run any shows this month and are not included.

PWG: Pro Wrestling Guerrilla held their annual Battle Of Los Angeles tournament, holding three shows at the Globe Theater in LA. Bandido was ultimately crowned the winner, but it was also a break out event for prospect wrestlers Jake Atlas, Jonathan Gresham, A-Kid, and Aramis who should all be sought out. The event is not available for download or DVD yet, but maybe those of you who went live will vote for it?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Let's review which promotion held The Young Lion's Cup this month. New Japan? Welp, there we go, easy choice to make!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is a hard choice. Generally the Destruction tour is a bit of a non-event so while I'd normally blindly vote New Japan but really the only great matches from them in September were the Bullet Club vs Birds of Prey Jr Tag Title match, Goto vs Takagi & to a lesser extent Naito vs White. There didn't really seem to be much raving about matches from the AJPW Royal Road tournament on the whole, a couple of Kento Miyahara matches, & Jake Lee vs Suwama. They did at least have the great Miyahara vs Nomura match at the very start of the month. Can't vote GCW because I've still to watch the latest Bloodsport

How was Stardom's 5Star Grand Prix?

So I dunno, it goes to New Japan because the Young Lion Cup was great fun.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

forkboy84 posted:

How was Stardom's 5Star Grand Prix?
It was okay overall, although the highs were rare enough to make it hard to consider Stardom for best of the month, at least in my opinion.

I'm torn between AAA and GCW. AAA's MSG show was entertaining from top to bottom and probably the best overall card I saw this month. Bloodsport was cool as always, but I still have to watch the NGI before making a judgement.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My gut went with GCW. I really liked what I saw from AAA this month, but Makowski/Gulak from Bloodsport and Deppen/Starr from tonight's Curtain Call are legit MOTYCs for me

I still need to see STARDOM and NOAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Other: NOAH, the conclusion of the N1 was great and they drew a great crowd in Osaka, where recently non-NJPW promotions fall flat.