Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is comedy?
Tom Segura is a funny and relevant comedian
Tom Segura is a crabby gen-x elitist fuckface
Goku fires a kamehameha directly into my pooper
View Results

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

That changes my whole perspective. Still unbelievable. Maybe Tom gets some side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Biohazard posted:

The thing with Patrice was that he was so stupidly wrong about poo poo all the time, but it was hilarious because he just refused to EVER back down on something. Like sorry, Patton's not an amazing comedian or anything, but to say he ripped off Marc Maron's style because what, they both had political content and ranted about it? Well then gee I guess they both ripped off a shitload of other political comedians that came before them. (saying this as someone who really likes Maron)

But what makes it funny is that Partice just didn't give a poo poo if he was right or wrong, he was going to pick a stance and defend it to the death, and he'd win the fight because he was faster and funnier than anyone else in the room.

As for him getting cancelled, haha no. He might not be able to book certain gigs, but he's someone that understood that the minute you apologize, you're done. So instead just dig in your heals, be a total shithead, and never admit you're wrong. It's a horrible stance to take in life, but it was pretty effective for him.

A living example of this is Bill Burr.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

A living example of this is Bill Burr.

Yeah I mean look at this guy, world famous comedian at the top of his game, internationally renowned, hugely successful, with a charming and intelligent wife and beautiful child. He’s in the goddam Mandalorian for crying out loud.

I was really cold on Bill Burr for the last year is so of his podcast but his last special is honestly really vulnerable while being super funny and “F is for Family” really scratches that classic Roaseanne “this is an actual depiction of a poor family” itch for me.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is always jarring to watch Dave Attel hang with other comedians and it becomes immediately apparent how many of them just stole his act, cadence, and delivery pretty much wholesale.

He and Marc Marin have joked about it in interviews many times, and one of my all time favorite Patrice O’Neal segments on Opie et al is when he straight up calls out Patton Oswalt for ripping off Marc Maron’s style and then morphing it into success.

Patton Oswalt sings more

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
marc maron isn't funny at all, and neither is oswalt, so act stealing confirmed.

seriously what do people see in maron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes super famous guests will go on WTF w/ Marc Maron and be like “Marc you’re like an OK comedian but you’re a really incredible podcaster and interviewer” and he always kinda shrugs it off like “ha ha thanks” and you can tell it tears him up inside.