Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I have to stump for the homies at Spicewalla, these are dope and cost about as much as the local national grocery chain. Big fan of getting the staple boxes as new apartment gifts— encourage people to throw away their dusty old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you're afraid of heavy metals in your spices, call the spice vendor, and ask if they require their importers to supply heavy metal testing for each lot. You don't need to ask to SEE said report, but merely if they require and get the information. Any good spice vendor will keep on hand heavy metal testing results for each lot of spices that they import, because adulteration is a serious concern. That said, I've seen that the spices from Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Sri Lanka tend to be pretty safe. The stuff from North India also tends to be legit, except when you're talking about saffron, because usually it's just Spanish saffron with a Kashmiri saffron label slapped on it, and a significant markup.

The major adulteration issues came from Bangladesh. India seems to have not had that much of an issue.

THAT SAID. For turmeric in particular, put some in some water, and add baking soda. It should turn red. If it's not turning vibrant fire engine red, you've got garbage on your hands.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some Indian food, for those interested:

A fancy version of your standard "pre-lib" veg burger. Every fast food/cafe/burger place/etc. in Delhi sells something like this. A vegetable (mostly potato)-based crispy patty, plus slaw, vegetables, etc. Typically vegan unless you add cheese, because the mayo here is usually made without eggs.

The best street food stall near me; also a little famous (and much more extensive than most street food vendors - it's a permanent building). They sell all sorts of stuff, savory and sweet, most of which is fried. Today I got:

Samosa and

Kachoris (the fried balls) which come with a potato soup sort of thing that you dip them in (plus pickled carrot and green chili).

All absolutely delicious! The samosa + kachoris together cost the equivalent of $0.78.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a good recipe for pav bhaji and pav bhaji masala?

I found this one for pav bhaji:

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pav-bhaji-recipe-mumbai-pav-bhaji-a-fastfood-recipe-from-mumbai/

Which adds more veggies (some cauliflower) and less potato it looks like. Or am I better off going potato heavy?

Her recipe for the masala had a lot of stuff in it, not sure what to think about all of it.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pav-bhaji-masala-powder-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-136083

quote:

▢ 1/4 cup cumin seeds (jeera) – 26 grams
▢ 2 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf) – 15 grams
▢ 2 tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania) – 11 grams
▢ 1 tablespoon mace (javitri) – 3 grams
▢ 1 tablespoon cloves (lavang) – 6 grams
▢ 1 tablespoon black peppercorns (sabut kali mirch) – 10 grams
▢ 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi) – 5 to 6 grams
▢ 3 star anise (chakriphool) – 2 grams
▢ 1 small nutmeg (jaiphal) – 5 grams

▢ 5 cinnamon sticks (dalchini) – each of about 2 inches – 4 grams
▢ 5 to 6 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) – preferably kashmiri red chilies – 4 grams, seeds removed
▢ 2 tablespoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
▢ 1 tablespoon dry ginger powder (saunth)
▢ 2 teaspoon black salt or edible rock salt or regular salt – optional
▢ 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) – optional

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alright trip report: Pav Bhaji was tasty! I've never had it from a restaurant so I have no idea if that recipe is good or not.

I probably wouldn't use black cardamom again though. It was smoky, but not in a good way. It was like some dude's cigarettes smoky not chipotle smoky.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A fun Indian snack:

Aam papad khatta: chewy mango candy covered with a very sour powder.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The best street food stall near me; also a little famous (and much more extensive than most street food vendors - it's a permanent building). They sell all sorts of stuff, savory and sweet, most of which is fried. Today I got:

Samosa and

I think I could live on samosa alone if I had a variety of things to dip them in.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some delicious recent restaurant food:

Arunachal Pradesh food. On the left in the bowls are plain boiled vegetables and dal. On the plate around the rice, clockwise from the left, are a sort of slaw thing, a greens dish, a spicy salsa sort of thing, some fermented vegetables, and some pickled vegetables.

Bihari food. This is litti chokha, balls of wheat filled with spiced besan. Served with chana dal (big bowl), eggplant (left), and mashed potatoes (right).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And the mangos are beginning to show up. Here is a Raspuri mango:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've been checking out some recipes for garlic pickles recently. Here are three examples:

https://aahaaramonline.com/garlic-pickle-vellulli-avakaya/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Cq1C7zG1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ws7suGlJbU

Notice they all involve putting raw garlic in oil and then peaceing out. I've always been told this is a recipe for growing botulin toxin, which will kill you. What gives? I mean to be fair I see people do stuff multiple times every day in India that would be considered unsafe in e.g. America, but I would think that food traditions would typically be safe, or else they'd die out over time because the people who cook the unsafe food would die out too, right? Any thoughts? I might crosspost this to the general thread or something because I went ahead and made the first recipe but I haven't eaten it yet because I'm worried I'll die.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I’m not doing the math to figure out how safe those recipes are, but botulism can’t get a foothold if there’s enough acid or salt. I suspect that’s either happening there or intended to happen there.

e: If you’re concerned but lukewarm on math and research, just eat them within a couple days. You can even make the classic murdery garlic in olive oil botulism playground as long as you leave it in the fridge and eat it within a few days.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 14, 2024

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know what counts as enough acid or salt, but these recipes have way less acid and/or salt than I typically see in Indian pickles (and other kinds of preserved foods) so I'm still a little unsure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
They are quick pickles. They probably last less long then the garlic would last on your shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

VictualSquid posted:

They are quick pickles. They probably last less long then the garlic would last on your shelf.
This despite the fact that I don't think a single person in India treats them like a quick pickle? E.g. the first recipes wants you to wait 2 weeks before even eating it.