Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
This is my shed.

I have some experience with wiring. Im not a Journeyman electrician though...
When I asked my electrician buddy he told me to run an outdoor load box with two 20 amp breakers for the lights and outlets.

I had him take a look after the install and he gave me the thumbs up after correcting a mistake (I forgot to run a cable thru to an outlet that I had already run conduit to)
I don't have pictures of the wiring runs because its all hidden behind panels. But it basically is a metal shed like this on the inside:

I ran all metal conduit as I didn't want to accidentally have a tool or saw pierce through a panel and cut a piece of romex. I realize that was slightly overkill, Also, something fire, something something.

however, soon after doing all the wiring I got a laser cutter from a friend who was moving to another state and had to sell fast:

The laser cutter is a 100 watt 240v unit that has a three-prong (dryer style) plug. He had it wired to some device that converted two 120v outlets into a 240v connection. Never saw it on so I can't vouch for that info. I'd rather it be running on a dedicated 240v connection anyways. What I wanted to ask is what would be the correct way to wire a 240v outlet. I have two sets of (hot, neutral) going in with a common ground. The junction box in the house has a dual-40 amp breaker where the outside sub box is wired.

Could I use the existing wiring (12/3 solid) running from the sub to the shed for 240v? Would I need to pull the wiring out (of buried conduit) and re-run a length of 12/4 for 240v to the shed?

Electrician friend said I could swap out one of the 20 amp breakers to a 50 amp and connect to another phase at the junction box and just run everything else (120 volt) on another 50 amp breaker from the sub, then just wire just ONE 240 volt outlet for the laser using both phases for red/black? Ive never heard of this, but he says its legit after telling me "Don't blame me if the shed/house burns down and you die"

He even offered to come over and help me out because I don't gently caress with 240 volt poo poo. I don't trust it, Any electrical goons want to offer advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU