Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The aftermath of our initial blast.

Setting up a second one, not quite as deep.

Bye, mountain!

Holy poop.

Here's our demolitions factory on Novus. 10 Atmospheric condensers gathering Methane, four robotic arms, 18 RTG's driving the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Wow

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I rented a dedicated host off Pingperfect for a month to try it out. It's pretty cheap and if it works ok for us to potter about I'll renew for longer. At least it has permission lists built in so I can keep it to just me and my buddy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

I rented a dedicated host off Pingperfect for a month to try it out. It's pretty cheap and if it works ok for us to potter about I'll renew for longer. At least it has permission lists built in so I can keep it to just me and my buddy.

Is it smoother for two?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This thread reminded me how much I enjoyed this in early access and now they've added a lot more quality of life stuff I've started playing it again. Even better still is playing it co-op, but my god the dedicated server is buggy - I keep ending up unable to enter vehicles and the atmospheric condenser, more often than not, cannot be turned on because the button is missing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
We've had some weirdness playing online co-op, but it has usually just been cases where the physics between the clients doesn't match up, and results in objects not being in the same location.

Oh, and as you play more on the same save file, it takes longer and longer for the game to load on the non-host machines. When my wife joins my game now, it takes her 6-7 minutes to load in (on a fairly fast PC with a good Internet connection). I think it's transmitting every piece of terrain deformation, as well as the location of every item in the solar system.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, and as you play more on the same save file, it takes longer and longer for the game to load on the non-host machines. When my wife joins my game now, it takes her 6-7 minutes to load in (on a fairly fast PC with a good Internet connection). I think it's transmitting every piece of terrain deformation, as well as the location of every item in the solar system.

Yikes. I’m playing with a buddy, and hosting on my machine. He can almost never see me so I have to say things like “do you the floating resin” or drop a beacon for him a lot.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

My wife commissioned this birthday cake for me this year. :love:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

:eyepop:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That's amazing!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Amazing. I passed that on to the rest of the team and they were all really impressed too!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
She's been having this same baker/artist do my birthday cakes for nearly a decade now. They're usually themed around a game that we've been playing a lot each year (and we've spent nearly 200 hours with Astroneer this year!).

My wife just sends a few photos or screenshots, and we're always blown away by the result.

We just finished up the in-game holiday event, and I absolutely love the cosmetic rewards. The only downside is that there's almost nothing left for us to do in the game!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Astroneer got a big update today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mV616rvpU

New mission system

New, bigger power systems

And a smaller one (QT RTG, to the left) that can either be found or rewarded from certain missions

And the feature that I'm most excited about : a COMPASS!!! no more getting lost on long exploratory journeys

Power production and usage was also thoroughly revamped, with higher power production but also much higher usage depending on the industry. Check the update link for more details.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oh good, I've been waiting for this update. I got into this last month playing solo but kinda fell off because the progression was so aimless - hopefully the missions give things a little more purpose.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ErrEff posted:

Oh good, I've been waiting for this update. I got into this last month playing solo but kinda fell off because the progression was so aimless - hopefully the missions give things a little more purpose.

What System Era discovered is that 80% of the people who play Astroneer never leave the first planet :shrug: So this is a way to help. The missions are also nearly the only way to get the portable RTG as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, sweet! Wife and I might pick this back up and play sd bit.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 1, 2021

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, this is a really big update in terms of smoothing over the New Player Experience. Missions give some much-needed direction, especially in the early game, and the new compass is just super handy and encourages riskier exploration. Hope you all enjoy it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Necroing this thread just to say I really enjoyed the April update. Lots of QoL stuff and the new player experience is nice in giving you a bit of guidance even as an experienced player starting a new game, and the rewards come in handy!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Collateral Damage posted:

Necroing this thread just to say I really enjoyed the April update. Lots of QoL stuff and the new player experience is nice in giving you a bit of guidance even as an experienced player starting a new game, and the rewards come in handy!

I recently started a new game with a friend who has never played before, and she's having a blast. She doesn't care at all about base-building, but she loves exploring and gathering. We just got our first Paver, and now she's carving up entire planets looking for goodies.

We haven't quite gotten to the stuff in the last couple of updates yet, but we're looking forward to it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I can see Astroneer being drat fun for a non gamer.
I have had a lot of fun with it solo.
Too bad I bought it on the MS store and cant play with anyone else.

Dont buy game on the MS store, folks.
Unless you know they allow cross play.
Waiting for it to be on sale on Steam to buy again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My group unlocked the VTOL last night, and it's a lot of fun flying around planets without having to deal with terrain. Burns through Hydrazine like nothing else -- a complete "orbit" of a non-moon planet uses about a full tank.

If you haven't played Astroneer in a while, it's worth going back in and doing the two MAT missions. You get two really fun vehicles to play with.

There's also a Halloween event going on now, but it seems to be identical to last year's (farm squash, refine squasholine, get cosmetics).

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 4, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

My group unlocked the VTOL last night, and it's a lot of fun flying around planets without having to deal with terrain. Burns through Hydrazine like nothing else -- a complete "orbit" of a non-moon planet uses about a full tank.

If you haven't played Astroneer in a while, it's worth going back in and doing the two MAT missions. You get two really fun vehicles to play with.

There's also a Halloween event going on now, but it seems to be identical to last year's (farm squash, refine squasholine, get cosmetics).

Hydrazine is a lot easier now as you can use astronium (found on the lowest level) in the Trade Platform (it's a little tricky but fiddle with the direction keys) to get lots of Hydrazine. Such a great addition!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mayveena posted:

Hydrazine is a lot easier now as you can use astronium (found on the lowest level) in the Trade Platform (it's a little tricky but fiddle with the direction keys) to get lots of Hydrazine. Such a great addition!
Oh, wow! I had no idea there was a new recipe for Astronium. We rarely use the Trade Platform -- we use auto-extractors to keep up our Ammonium supply on Sylva, and Hydrogen is free.

The real annoyance is more having to tote extra tanks of Hydrazine with you on a trip. But the VTOL has three small slots that I think it will automatically pull Hydrazine from.

I haven't played with the Hoverboard yet, but we're looking forward to holding our own "wacky races" on the dunes of Calidor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This game was a lot of fun. I wish I could play it again but I think it might be too soon for me to really appreciate it. I went all out and got all the achievements last December.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

WhiteHowler posted:

The last time I played I remember getting burned out traveling to the platforms with a glitchy buggy for powering them. A VTOL sounds much better.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
System Era was acquired by Devolver Digital this week.

Sounds like they're committing to supporting Astroneer in the near-term, at least. I've been enjoying the little additions they've been making over the last few years.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

System Era was acquired by Devolver Digital this week.

Sounds like they're committing to supporting Astroneer in the near-term, at least. I've been enjoying the little additions they've been making over the last few years.

Me as well, especially the compass and the rails. I'm sure they did it because they needed better cash flow to keep going. I'm very happy to hear it!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want to grab "The Valheimy space game where you can accidentally fill your base with pure oxygen and then blow it up when you turn on the furnace", but I can't remember if that's this game or one of the other multiplayer space base games.

e: I'm thinking of Stationeers. That said how does Astroneer play two player and could I get a compare and contrast with, say, Valheim?

e2: It's 12 bucks on sale I bought it anyway

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

My son and I play two player all the time. When Astroneer first released, I think the devs thought it was a survival game. But after seeing the data showing players weren’t progressing, they’ve focused more on the base building. The game will happily kill you, but it’s fairly avoidable. Be sure to do the missions, there are some good rewards.

No you can’t blow yourself up in the game, but if you fall through a hole you didn’t see, you can die from that, and if you don’t die from the fall you can die from lack of oxygen.