Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love the almost-but-not-quite period styling.

Those are some incredibly bold brows for 1972. Mary must be a huge Brooke Shields fan, because no one else was doing thick brows like that. Hippie chicks might not pluck their brows, but wild hair loving hippies wouldn't be bleaching their hair either.

The earrings seem pretty suspicious too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Episode three was good, aside from the stuff with the radios. They were basically treating them as phones.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tiggum posted:

Episode three was good, aside from the stuff with the radios. They were basically treating them as phones.

:agreed:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
CB radios would definitely pierce through pop culture magic in the 70s so I loved that part of the episode. Other than framing John as 8 feet tall I still have no complaints.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The appearance by Loki/Gabriel in the latest episode didn't do much for me, I have to say. Makes the team's victory seem fairly pointless, since we know that he's not Loki, he isn't really trapped in a mirror, and he was just loving with them the whole time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That cliffhanger tho. And yeah I immediately knew what was up once I saw Richard Speight's name in the opening credits.

Also not gonna lie it's hilarious that the episode ends and it immediately jumps to a preview of Walker with the former Samuel Campbell on my screen.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Did anybody else make it through the entire season of The Winchesters? I didn't get to the last 4 eps until this week, and after being thoroughly spoiled on the finale, I just finished watching it. It was...fine? Honestly I think the episode before that with the creepy clowns was better written and handled the fan service better. I think the little taste we got of Dean and Bobby at the start was great, but the fan service was starting to get a little too cringe at the end. Then the whole Acreda storyline ended like a wet fart, and the queen being a hunter from the 1600s was really pretty dumb. As was the final confrontation that they've been building up to for half the season: like 6 people in an alley fighting with swords, lol. Did anybody even land any blows, like even a single one that entire fight? Not a single mook taken out?? Give me some fake blood and bodily peril or something, drat. Nah instead let's drive down an alley at like 18mph. All I could think while watching it was they must not have had a budget for anything fun. Maybe they spent it all on having Dean, Bobby, Jack, and Baby back. :iiam:

tl;dr I'm just glad they didn't hurt Baby :shobon:

Would I watch it if it gets renewed? Ehhhh. Maybe. It's not great but it's not terrible. It was like Supernatural-lite the entire time, just with less character development, worse writing, and a yellow filter over everything.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Did anybody else make it through the entire season of The Winchesters? I didn't get to the last 4 eps until this week, and after being thoroughly spoiled on the finale, I just finished watching it. It was...fine? Honestly I think the episode before that with the creepy clowns was better written and handled the fan service better. I think the little taste we got of Dean and Bobby at the start was great, but the fan service was starting to get a little too cringe at the end. Then the whole Acreda storyline ended like a wet fart, and the queen being a hunter from the 1600s was really pretty dumb. As was the final confrontation that they've been building up to for half the season: like 6 people in an alley fighting with swords, lol. Did anybody even land any blows, like even a single one that entire fight? Not a single mook taken out?? Give me some fake blood and bodily peril or something, drat. Nah instead let's drive down an alley at like 18mph. All I could think while watching it was they must not have had a budget for anything fun. Maybe they spent it all on having Dean, Bobby, Jack, and Baby back. :iiam:

tl;dr I'm just glad they didn't hurt Baby :shobon:

Would I watch it if it gets renewed? Ehhhh. Maybe. It's not great but it's not terrible. It was like Supernatural-lite the entire time, just with less character development, worse writing, and a yellow filter over everything.
I watched it all and agree with everything you've said. It was...fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Did anybody else make it through the entire season of The Winchesters?
I just finished it. Pretty much agree with your assessment. I'll watch the second season if there is one, but to judge by the rushed and half-arsed way they closed everything out in that last episode, it doesn't look like they're expecting one.

Sirotan posted:

Honestly I think the episode before that with the creepy clowns was better written and handled the fan service better.
The clown episode was the best of the season. No contest.

Sirotan posted:

I think the little taste we got of Dean and Bobby at the start was great
That little bit at the start seemed like it was some remainder of a script where they were planning for a second season, but then by the end of the episode they were fully into "shut it down" mode and had to pay it off way too early and without any real buildup. We've been seeing the photo of Dean all season, and having him actually show up (but not be seen by any of the characters) in the final episode would have been a perfect lead-in to a second-season focused more on the mystery of "who is this guy" but they obviously decided instead to just wrap everything up in case (or because) there's no second season coming.

Sirotan posted:

Then the whole Acreda storyline ended like a wet fart
Also seemed like a late rewrite, where maybe they'd have escalated the threat rather than ending it if they'd thought they'd have another season.

Sirotan posted:

As was the final confrontation that they've been building up to for half the season: like 6 people in an alley fighting with swords, lol. Did anybody even land any blows, like even a single one that entire fight? Not a single mook taken out?? Give me some fake blood and bodily peril or something, drat. Nah instead let's drive down an alley at like 18mph.
It was very late-Arrowverse.

Sirotan posted:

All I could think while watching it was they must not have had a budget for anything fun. Maybe they spent it all on having Dean, Bobby, Jack, and Baby back. :iiam:
My guess is, they spent it over the course of the previous episodes because they were banking on drawing this plot out for a second season, so they could have had a very dramatic (but not action-intensive) finale that left everyone in a worse position for the next season. See also: Ada sacrificing her soul and then Latika just magicking it back with no fuss. Definitely meant to be a season two problem, hastily resolved so to not leave any loose threads.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, they neatly explained all the continuity errors. On the other...why wait til the last 5 minutes for Dean (never a longwinded guy to begin with) to Exposition Vomit everything? Like why not from the beginning say "There are Many Universes and Timelines...Dinosaur World, Hunter Corp, Apocalypse World. Worlds where John and Mary had a different story--but can save all the universes--this is one of them."

I guess they wanted people to not figure none of it mattered because it's not a "real prequel," but OTOH it pissed off a lot of people when we'd see poo poo like Henry Winchester dying in a different way, John learning about monsters 10 years too early, etc.

The whole infodump at the end was too silly anyway. Like why did Dean have to say "I died, and went to Heaven, and my car is named Baby, and I can drive around Space and Time, and God is called Chuck and He's a dick, :words: :words: :words: " He could have said "I'm a Hunter. I come from another universe, like you figured. I was looking for my family, and found the Akrida who were created by an angry god, and wanted to help you stop them." Boom, done.

Seeing and hearing the car was cool. Seeing Bobby and Jack :wave: was great. And again, they fully explained every bit of how it fit into continuity (multiverse, Dean ducking out on his Heaven Drive to tour the universes while waiting for Sam). The motivations were a bit odd though. Like why, if Chuck was actively destroying the multiverses as His endgame, would He have put in a poison pill to...do the same thing? Why would Dean feel the need to drive around the Multiverse to try and find out if there was a "reality where his family was happy" when he is in Heaven, with Bobby, is told his parents are there and together and happy 2 houses over, and knows Sam is coming? Heck, even Samuel and the rest of his family probably aren't in Hell.

For the show overall, it was...OK. It mostly feels like Supernatural, even if the incidental music, directing, editing, aren't quite the same, they're close. John is a little too nice, but I can accept he's a different guy moving in a new direction. Samuel is also a lot nicer than OG Samuel. Latika and Carlos can be a little twee at times ("I'm going to check the Lore!" "I'm bisexual, in case you forgot!" "We're the B Plot that will have nothing to do with the A Plot until the last 10 minutes!"), but they aren't completely annoying and as their backstories were revealed got more three dimensional. They need more MOTW episodes and why the hell haven't they done ONE ghost episode all season?

They certainly ended it in a perfect way to give them all options. It can end here, and be a simple, one season coda to Supernatural. They can come back and do another season the same way, with the Scooby Gang doing the same stuff. They can revamp everything and ditch John's mother, Latika, and Carlos as well as Lawrence and just go on the road where John will Hunt by night and Mary will go to college in the day and...study and watch tv at night? until she relents and goes full Hunter again 3 episodes into the season. They can still do some nods to the old show with legacy characters like Rowena, Crowley, some known Angels and Demons in other meatsuits, etc. We can meet Young Bobby and Rufus. Maybe they can have John and Mary, in the new timeline, go up against some other villains out of sequence as What Ifs, "How would they tackle the Leviathans?" or "They fight the Steins 40 years early."

But I gotta admit, I am ambivalent about it coming back or not. If it does, I'll probably watch it. If it doesn't, I won't cry. Still would rather have had a Wayward Sisters show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Astroman posted:

Still would rather have had a Wayward Sisters show.

Definitely; but focused on Donna and Jodie instead of the kids.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://ew.com/tv/the-winchesters-canceled-cw/

Eh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I doubt anyone's surprised.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Bless Ackles for showing up, but that infodump scene was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/1689718357535383552?s=20