Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ICSA 69 entry! Thanks Liquid Communism for the challenge.

For a wedding anniversary, Mrs. Boitano and I went to Oaxaca, Mexico for a week. This was almost entirely planned around cooking and eating, including a wonderful class by Oscar Carrizosa at Casa Crespo. In that class, we practiced many moles and salsas to go with mixiotes, chile rellenos, and tamales.

Also on the trip, we stayed at El Diablo Y La Sandia Boca Del Monte, which had some incredibly talented folks cooking a different breakfast every day. Aside from the occasional Whataburger breakfast taco at 1 am, I had never really had salsa before noon, but now that I have, my eyes are open and my heart beats stronger.

So here it is, a tribute to our favorite trip to our new favorite state!

Prep some poblanos and onions

Evict seed pods from hibiscus (aka roselle aka jamaica) and break calyxes up a bit

(not shown) toast and then rehydrate dried peppers - I used costeno amarillo, pasilla, ancho negro, and morita. Roughly chop and add to now-jammy hibiscus. (optional) add pepper jack cheese because you happen to have some. (optional optional) add some hibiscus near the end of cooking down so there's some textural difference.

This is the most important step of the whole meal -- befriend your local cornmeal man. Show up to the farmer's market when he has brought along dried whole corn as a visual aid to woo his customers. Convince him to sell you some whole dried corn. Be flattered when he gives it to you for free and make a mental note to give him some of the finished product.

Nixtamalize! That! Corn!

(not shown because I was tired) drain and thoroughly rinse squeaky corn. Grind with just enough water to get it moving. Whip with lots of pork fat!

Set up a station - we're making tamales!

Steam for 90 minutes because homemade masa needs more time than store masa.

Have a snack because the hard part is over -- habanero jelly and cream cheese on the finest of Ritz crackers

Make some bread (okay I did this a long time ago and froze it, so I don't have good process photos :saddowns:)

Next dish!

Use the sheetpan method because you have to run to the store for last minute ingredients.
Bloom your spices in some butter, add butter to vegetables in a blender, then use the residual butter in pan for your eggs

Juice some oranges, add a touch of citric acid for balance, and plate all the things!

Hibiscus and dried chiles tamales with salsa verde
Cheddar and jalapeno sourdough
Green "shakshuka"

My wife was so happy to have a fancy breakfast, sure, but it was even nicer since it brought back memories of our favorite trip.

If you've never had hibiscus, you can do basically the same thing with dried hibiscus reconstituted. It's an amazing ingredient. It's primarily a tart flavor, sort of like rhubarb mixed with strawberry. We've grown our own for years, but the Oaxacan trip showed us it can star in savory dishes too! The tamale was by far the best thing I've ever made, since I usually measure such things by "tastiness adjusted for difficulty of just buying it". Sadly, there are no tamale ladies nearby, so I'm very happy we went through the trouble!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gorgeous!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It all looks good, but those tamales both look and sound amazing

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just had lunch, and somehow your post has made me hungry all over again. Lovely.

Elfriede Shrempf
Jan 13, 2008
Great Job!
Such pretty peppers! This is a tasty looking entry. And we have the same plates!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
how many crickets did you eat

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I ate all the cricket snacks long ago :negative:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Braver then I. And I have family members from Oaxaca . I'll never eat your drat crickets! :argh:

Dat cheese tho...diff story. Food looks great my dude.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank you!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That looks amazing. What's your process for making masa? I've never done it before but I kinda want to try since the best tamales here in Charlotte come from loving Trader Joe's.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use a food processor for a long time. Ends up needing a full 1 1/2 to 2 hours to cook, since the grind isn't really fine. If I wanted tortillas I'd probably either buy a grinder or test out the vitamix, but the coarseness is great for tamales!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Coasterphreak posted:

That looks amazing. What's your process for making masa? I've never done it before but I kinda want to try since the best tamales here in Charlotte come from loving Trader Joe's.

You can probably just buy masa harina at the store instead of making it fully from scratch (not that that's not cool). You may need to find a store that specializes in Latin American products, but I've seen it in some supermarkets around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh yeah, Publix has masarepa flour.

I also forgot to say, pro tip save your bacon grease and use that instead of the lard. Lard is great but bacon grease is just as good and $free