Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said before a lot of things about GBO2 and how it's designed in ways that are completely baffling from a Western perspective make a lot more sense when you remember that it was originally intended for a solely Japanese audience and kind of lucked into finding an international audience due to the PS4 being mostly free of region locking and while they gradually made a couple concessions for that international audience at its core it's still that game meant only for a Japanese player base

I imagine when we get GBO3 someday it will be heavily overhauled to better fit with Western expectations for what a online team based shooter is like in both gameplay and how it handles communication since they now know they have a wider audience to attract than just the Japanese fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you think they're going to develop and maintain a Gundam game with a preference for an arbitrary set of "western" design sensibilities(whatever that actually means in practice), you're crazy. Evolution was probably the closest thing to something like that you'll ever see and it was a disaster of Hindenburgian proportions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

If you think they're going to develop and maintain a Gundam game with a preference for an arbitrary set of "western" design sensibilities(whatever that actually means in practice), you're crazy. Evolution was probably the closest thing to something like that you'll ever see and it was a disaster of Hindenburgian proportions.

Seriously. Consideration for the western market has never been something Bandai could pull off even when they were trying and not just writing it off based on their past experience failing at it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What does western design sensibilities mean here?
Good netcode that can handle non-Japan-sized latency? I'm all for that at least.

The text chat was killed because of toxicity among japanese players, it's not like japan was full of perfect angels and they only realized they needed moderation when the EN translation released.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What does western design sensibilities mean here?

Based on the context of their previous complaints in the thread, I can only assume they're talking about a strong focus on netcode, easy party lobbies(as in drop in and queue up with friends immediately with no fuss), and voice chat, among other things.

You know, all things Gundam Evolution did.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Gundam Evolution had bad net code in that it was highly unstable. Frequent disconnects and you couldn’t rejoin if you got d/c’d and the penalty for a d/c was harsh. There also wasn’t any backfill and the quick play matches had the same rules as ranked matches so the games took forever.

And the monetization was really bad. More akin to a gacha game than a team based fps.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

we're getting a new battle mode? also black Friday stuff

https://bo2.ggame.jp/en/info/?p=126833

quote:

We will launch the new game mode “Situation Battle” to GBO2 in the near update.
In this mode, you will play in a scene actually from the Gundam stories which has also the same situation from stories.
Pilots have to use the unit and equipments that we had already set for you,
which means you CANNOT use your own but still can play this mode even you don’t have the decent units.
So Come by and take a try!

quote:

Point ② Different task for MSs in each game
In this mode, every unit has their own task and position to play in the team.
For example,
“Play as the ACE and earn score as much as possible”
“A plain MS but able to support your teammate, help your ACE massively”
“Extra good at XXX and perfectly deal with specific type of MSs”
Just like that, pilots are expected to have different moves and skills compare to the other game modes.
(Like, this time you have to play Zaku as support but next time it could be the ACE in the team but still using Zaku.)
The key to win in this mode is to cooperate with your teammate based on your position, support the

sounds like it's going to be a lot of steamrolling if either team is at all capable of coordination but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. hope I get to play as one of chars wingmen, they always survive the battle right??

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Winter Festival has begun on PS4/PS5 y'all, here are some important things to remember:
  • Everyone gets a free Nu and Sazabi during the weekly update on December 13th/14th. Hope you didn't spend 700 RT to acquire it via the RT Store recently!
  • Pretty much every week has a free 10-spin and a free half-off spin.
  • Every week has a special step-up - take a look and ask yourself if it's worth spending now or holding off until the last week which will certainly be a coveted 4-star unit, probably something from Unicorn that gets the boys all hot and bothered and turgid.
  • The parts banner looks tempting, as it has one of the best guaranteed gacha parts in the game - Composite Frame A - but 1/10 odds still aren't great.

:siren:Every special banner is designed to get you to open your wallet:siren: so be careful! Take into consideration the fact that pretty much every single cost point in this game is now fairly stable with some very accessible meta units that you can buy at the DP store so please, please, please do not spend any more than you budgeted for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

Based on the context of their previous complaints in the thread, I can only assume they're talking about a strong focus on netcode, easy party lobbies(as in drop in and queue up with friends immediately with no fuss), and voice chat, among other things.

You know, all things Gundam Evolution did.

Well I laughed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I laughed

Gundam Evolution's netcode is dogshit but compared to GBO2 it's the work of a transcendent genius.