Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Old thread is locked so I'm just making a new one. It only reached one page if people want to peep it:

https://forums.sometahingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865984

Going to quote myself from forever ago b/c I think it sums up the show okayish or whatever:

esperterra posted:

Insatiable keeps getting better and better lmao. I've gone from thinking it's mostly boring with some highs, to being really invested tbh. I feel like a lot of people just saw the trailer, or the bad fat suit in episode one, and chose to not engage further w/o heavy bias. The trailer was awful tho I can't deny that lmao, I definitely went into this expecting it to be at least pointless if not outright bad, but I don't think it's either of those things. Maybe people just gave up after the pilot? It's definitely the worst episode of the series b/c it seemed to have no idea what kind of show it wanted to be, imo.

The across the board vitriol for the show I've seen from critics online blows my mind tbh. There isn't really a lot of fat-shaming going on, the only people in the show who engage in it are either clearly bad people from the start, or the lead character herself, who constantly has her friends and other people she meets telling her that being hot on the outside doesn't matter if you're ugly on the inside-- which she is. She's a horrible person and the show is in no way shy about letting the viewer know that. I'm digging it.

For an admittedly uneven dark comedy that has a couple hiccups with how it handles its tonal shifts from the ridiculous moments to the serious ones, I think it handles a lot of issues p tastefully as well. I can definitely relate to this self destructive af relationship with weight and general self esteem for onesself. I also really like the way it handles one of the leads coming to terms w/ her sexuality. It's messy and awkward and in a good way. It could probably be shorter tho. At least the first few episodes kind of dragged. It really picks up around the mid point, though.

This show is going to have to do some really impressive bombing in the back end for me to come out of it thinking it's bad. Like lmao there's no way this show is worse than something like Girlboss even if it turns into a hot mess for the next 5 or whatever episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season 1 was breathtaking in it's incremental escalation and I'm happy to be along for the ride yet again. :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I came to the conclusion that this show is genuinely good.
Just gonna quote myself here.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I liked the show, overall. When it first came out there were some stupid controversies about it, and I can certainly see how those would sour the experience, but it's such ridiculous satire, that I can't really feel offended by anything in there. And in season two actually there actually was quite a bit of personal growth. But that's my personal opinion, I guess.

The dark humor kinda reminds me of Santa Clarita Diet.
I would genuinely recommend it to you guys. I guess I would not admit watching it to my friends, though.

I guess it's a lot about how you represent it:
A show about a fat girl, who randomly lost 40 pounds over a summer and became super hot and skinny. Now she goes to beauty pagents and dates hot guys. Also there are wacky gay people around.
vs
A show about a girl with psychological issues, which manifest in an unhealthy relationship with food, is pushed into a cut-throat world of denominating, superficial contests, where the rush for dopamine pushes her to aim for the top. All this happens, while she continues to doubt, wether she's capable of being a good person, or if the mental rot is her essential core, which can not be overcome. During this, her mentor figure tries to come to terms with the things he truly desires.

While the first version is technically correct, it certainly doesn't show the whole picture.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dat finale tho

Really hope this gets a third season!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, that would be a fine ending, but I'd love to see what they do with another season

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yeah, that would be a fine ending, but I'd love to see what they do with another season

Good point, tbh. If it ends here it's a great ending. But still open enough to have a third and probably final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’m slow going this time around but I just started ep 3 and Dixie saying she had an episiotomy and the look on Bob’s face just had me in tears.

This show has some special moments.