Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Ex-soldier Juuzou Inui has one question—who turned him into a cyborg and erased his memories? After the war, cyborg soldiers known as the Extended were discharged. Juzo Inui is one of them, a man whose body was transformed, his head replaced with a giant gun! With no memory of his previous life—or who replaced his head and why—Inui now scratches out a living in the dark streets of the city as a Resolver, taking on cases involving the Extended. When a fellow Extended showed up in Inui's office—on the run from the Security Bureau with a kidnapped child in tow and asking for help—Inui should have just thrown the guy out. But Inui's loyalty to a brother Extended makes him take the job. Keeping the child safe won't be easy, since everyone seems to want to grab him, from street punks to the megacorporation Berühren, who have sent out a special agent that knows exactly how to deal with the Extended...

Juuzou Inui (Junichi Suwabe)
An Extended with a gun for a head and no memory of how he got it, he works as a private eye on Extended-related cases. He's gotten himself mixed up with the Berühren Corp after a certain kid has come to his door.

Tetsuro Arahabaki (Daiki Yamashita)
Came to Juuzou's for help after escaping from an experimental Berühren facility. Has been implanted with Harmony, a system that allows him to control Extended remotely. He cannot walk or talk without assistance due to the nature of the experiments.

Mary Steinberg (Manami Numakura)
Juuzou's partner who does black market Extended maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psdxteaz3tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQyWoG43kRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mary is cool and good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do feel that Juuzou's design is a bit too on-the-nose as a parody of his character archetype to handle the show's more serious scenes. It's like a shonen fighting series where the protagonist is a walking self-help manual.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The gunhead thing is dumb as gently caress but I love the berserk Evangelion mouth. Really digging the overall style of the show too, the worn down 80s cyberpunk feel really grabs me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The thing that always sticks out the most about Juuzou's design to me is the no-socks loafers.

No Socks Life

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I do feel that Juuzou's design is a bit too on-the-nose as a parody of his character archetype to handle the show's more serious scenes. It's like a shonen fighting series where the protagonist is a walking self-help manual.

But... that's the best part.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

But... that's the best part.

I think they could lean into the joke more. As is, some of the stuff they've included (like the sidekick being a horribly mutilated, traumatised child trying to carve out a life for himself despite the odds) sits pretty uncomfortably with the inherent ridiculousness of The Man Who Is So Hardboiled His Head Is Literally A Colt Detective Special.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 20, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth Walrus posted:

a shonen fighting series where the protagonist is a walking self-help manual.
excuse me its name is Demon Slayer

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Shyrka posted:

The gunhead thing is dumb as gently caress but I love the berserk Evangelion mouth. Really digging the overall style of the show too, the worn down 80s cyberpunk feel really grabs me.

There's a shot in the outro that suggests the gun on his head might not be his primary weapon, and what's on his head is just a representation and there's a reason he had an operator for it.

I'm pretty sure if it was just the thing on his head he could pull his own trigger. He's supposed to be some kind of crazy, potentially tank-busting, war machine. Punching trains is a bit too casual for him, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The main hero is so incredibly hard-boiled that the gun for the head is only second most ridiculous thing about him and it's great. :allears:
Anyways the anime kinda resembles Hellsing to me, both due to the art and due to the sudden bursts of absurd, super-exaggerated humour, despite the subject matter being pretty dark and serious.