Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Any idea why? Not really familiar with Canuck gun laws, I just know you need to own a shottie in case a polar bear tries to eat you.

I don't think a shotgun's gonna cut it against a polar bear. On Svalbard they recommend a high caliber rifle to protect yourself against polar bears. But this is getting too close to bear thread. Anyway, probably bring something other than a shotgun or a pistol against a polar bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

I like the art in that

quote:

I like the composition of that one

quote:

I had never heard of this vehicle before so I looked it up; it only got used in Germany and Netherlands and a couple of other places. I never really thought about it before but I bet a lot of equipment gets marketed to places that never end up buying it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Sard posted:

If this is your thing, there's pages and pages of it at http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads

Thanks for finding this

Loden Taylor posted:

THERE IS A WHOLE LOT GOING ON IN AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85MDZfZr1ag

and this. How did they used to do that? Was it some unmanned auto-pilot, or did the pilot parachute out before they shot the missile?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Good Sphere posted:

Thanks for finding this

and this. How did they used to do that? Was it some unmanned auto-pilot, or did the pilot parachute out before they shot the missile?

Target drones have been a thing for a while, it’s unmanned.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randarkman posted:

I don't think a shotgun's gonna cut it against a polar bear. On Svalbard they recommend a high caliber rifle to protect yourself against polar bears. But this is getting too close to bear thread. Anyway, probably bring something other than a shotgun or a pistol against a polar bear.

What about slugs?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about slugs?

Energy-wise slugs are up there with rounds that are approved for bears, but I’m not sure how they are in actual performance, since they’ve got a larger surface and are made of softer material. They may not be able to adequately penetrate since bears are pretty dense animals.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about slugs?

I got curious and googled around for this a bit back when I posted it, and shotguns firing slugs are mentioned as capable of stopping a polar bear but only really at unacceptably close ranges. The authorities specifically mention high caliber rifles as their requirement to going armed, which is more or less required if you are outside of the settled areas, some types of defenses are not accepted such as pepper spray and other kinds of bear deterrence due to the low temperatures and wind and no one really being sure that it would deter a polar bear.

Really the best thing to bring is a high-powered rifle, they recently started allowing people who are members of gun clubs and such to use pistols, though I don't know how good an idea that would be really, I think you'd want it to be a pretty powerful one and to be pretty skilled in its use for it to be any better than a rifle which is powerful, with a long range and simple to use even without much practice. I also remember reading a story about a Swedish officer who was on Svalbard who got attacked by a polar bear and managed to empty his pistol (mostly) into the bear's head at pretty close range before the bear closed and killed the crap out of him.

Flare guns seem to be pretty common as a deterrent as well, particularly for minors, though really it seems the accepted wisdom is if you can, bring a rifle, don't be stupid and dead.

I may have remembered some details wrong, so here's the guidelines from the governor's office for those interested.

https://www.sysselmannen.no/globala...lar-bears-1.pdf

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sunswipe posted:

Any idea why? Not really familiar with Canuck gun laws, I just know you need to own a shottie in case a polar bear tries to eat you.

They literally picked up a copy of the 1986 Gun Digest magazine, and circled anything that looked "scary". That's why the G-11 and AK-47 are prohibited, but newer or more obscure ones are restricted or prohibited. Canadian gun laws were written by people who had little to no understanding of firearm types/operations, so you have semi-automatic rifles being limited to 5 round magazines, but you're also allowed to have unlimited number of rounds if your firearm is belt-fed. (yes you can buy semi-only MG-34s and hunt with them). There are a ton of loopholes, and they very rarely get fixed.

I don't want to derail into gun chat, but I thought you might like an answer, especially since it sounds so unbelievable.