Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
lldb is pretty solidly the slowest and least reliable debugger i've ever had the misfortune of using. when apple first started shipping it i assumed it was bad because it was just being shipped as soon as it was kinda maybe close to ready, but it hasn't gotten any better since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
dtrace used to be amazing but it's bitrotted hard. you have to turn off SIP to do anything interesting and even then a ton of stuff is broken on recent versions of macos.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lldb is bad. even with a huge amount of debug info the compiler now emits it still does a terrible job of getting local variable values. and it’s way too verbose for a command line interface, mostly because it was designed as a backend tool for Xcode, not for direct human interaction.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the crazy interface is not because it was designed to work as a library for xcode. they actually thought it was better this way, and now it’s hard to do anything about it

the interface is very tweakable, though

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

the interface is very twerkable, though

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
ladies love debugging

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

gdb's command-line interface is a giant mess so i do appreciate that lldb tried to come up with something more consistent and understandable. they just didn't do a very good job of it, unfortunately.

the interface is a a pretty small problem compared to things like it having a broken implementation of step over/out and having a braindead debug visualizer api that inherently results in it regularly taking multiple seconds to update xcode's watch window.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lldb is ok if you use it with a gui (like a vscode addon)

although we use it at work from inside visual studio on one of our target platforms and stepping is slow as hell, and for once I dont think it's visual studios fault

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

lldb is terrible.

maybe its because I used it first but I like it more than gdb.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is lldb the thing that makes it so that xcode never shows you actual values of symbols you hover your mouse over?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

java remote debugging is some (slow) magical poo poo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

is lldb the thing that makes it so that xcode never shows you actual values of symbols you hover your mouse over?

it works fine in clion, so i imagine that it's just xcode being lovely

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

yes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
now that rms is out of the picture i hope we get full llvm/lldb support in emacs

or get gcc to have a sane intermediate format so that good things can be done with gcc and emacs

i don't really care, i just want better c++ integration in emacs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i hope we get full llvm/lldb support in emacs

I've been growing my beard out but a sudden wave of insecurity just washed over me.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
rms has been the sticking point on both fixing up gcc's intermediate format (which has historically been deliberately unuseable by outside tools) and integrating llvm support into emacs (because llvm isn't as fully free as gcc)

i don't care which sticking point gets un-stuck, i have no real preference here, i just want c++ to not-suck in emacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

sir this is a wework