Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Depends upon what you mean by "gameplay changes". All the classes got stat upgrades. The wizards all got access to higher-level magic, the knight got low level white magic, and the ninja got the same for black magic. It didn't really change their roles, just added a bit of versatility to the knight and ninja, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah now I remember! Possibly some items needed to be used by a badass only?

Also I think this might be the only time the wizard showed his head

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I meant like having the Fighter become either a Knight or a Samurai, with their own abilities and advantages, like that. Maybe a bit too far beyond the scope of the game, but these are the kinds of things you can do with a modern remake. Instead they kept "Figher hurt things and Knight hurt things harder."

Edit: There is something to be said for capturing the simplicity of the original game but with more refinement, of course.

magikid fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 3, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've seen some mentions in the past few days about the news that a lot of older Nintendo information has been leaked or hacked, mostly around the era of N64, Gamecube, and Wii. Supposedly this involves source code for games, hardware and software testing code, and SDK and operating system code. I didn't want to touch any of this with a ten foot pole so I didn't snoop around too much, but it will be interesting to watch how this news unfolds.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah that's getting funneled directly to emulator people

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah that's getting funneled directly to emulator people
A lot of emulator authors will probably avoid touching this stuff to avoid tangling themselves up in the inevitable legal hassles it'll bring from Nintendo. At least one Dolphin dev on Reddit has outright said they're refusing to so much as look at it.

Maybe if some sort of cleanroom implementation happens by way of a non-contributor writing up a spec for a contributor (which is how the IBM PC was freed from the constraints of IBM's copyrighted BIOS and became widely cloned into the modern PC standard), but that's still a pretty big bet for an emulator author to take, since their Patreon funds probably won't extend to cover a legal battle with an extremely angry multinational.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

If nothing else all the tech demos and prototypes are a really good get for the preservation scene. Despite not being able to verify the dumps.

Documentation will be good for future FPGA uses at a later date maybe?

The Kins posted:

(which is how the IBM PC was freed from the constraints of IBM's copyrighted BIOS and became widely cloned into the modern PC standard)

If it wasn't for that we would have not got this amazingly terrible commercial 15 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcFQf49h0VQ

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 5, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
While it is super convenient/easy/cool that you can put Retroarch onto a thumb drive and run it on an Intel NUC, it's super unreliable and sometimes the drive will just stop working. I think my most recent gently caress-up is that I filled up the secondary USB thumb drive too full and now the system can't even read it (is that even possible?).

I guess it's time to get an SSD for this thing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PCSX2 has put out its first stable release in four years.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've seen some mentions in the past few days about the news that a lot of older Nintendo information has been leaked or hacked, mostly around the era of N64, Gamecube, and Wii. Supposedly this involves source code for games, hardware and software testing code, and SDK and operating system code. I didn't want to touch any of this with a ten foot pole so I didn't snoop around too much, but it will be interesting to watch how this news unfolds.

Mostly same here. It's good that it's getting saved, though I'm content to let the people who know what the gently caress they're looking at dig through it.

I'm holding out hope for a few things to get the leak treatment, but I doubt we'll ever see them. Link's Awakening development stuff and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Probably also a long shot but I wanna see Mario's Castle and other stuff from the cancelled mid 90s GBA/Project Atlantis.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A veteran of Team Twiizers, the group that enabled Wii homebrew, weighed on on the Wii stuff in the leak:

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1258283541101572097

marcan posted:

People love to get all excited about leaks of official SDKs or code... but really, rarely are they all that amazing. Early on in development of homebrew for a console, they can help make things move much faster, but at the expense of legally tainting everything they touch.

This late in the game, though? Some of my reverse engineered documentation is *more accurate* than the official docs. Because I document what the hardware *does*, not what they *intended* it to do.

So for example, the leaked docs talk about registers existing in certain memory windows, but don't document all the mirrors that I discovered back when I did an exhaustive analysis of the Starlet 32-bit address space.

Now, certainly, leaks like this do clarify a lot of the long tail of things. "Oooh, so *that's* what that register did!". But those things we didn't know are largely because they weren't important. If they were, we would have figured them out.

And it's always fun to see the official names for things. Remember the STM release exploit? That bug is in the leaked code. The real code has the same structure as my decompiled version, and the bug is exactly what I thought (missing return statement), but the names differ.

And yes, the RSA sigcheck really was a strncmp call.

But anyway, what is actually useful in a leak like this? Not much, really. Nevermind that you can't legally use any of it, it's not really adding much practical information.

The only thing that comes to mind is that having the PLL register documentation (which is always one of the most nigh impossible things to reverse engineer black box) might allow someone to try to overclock a Wii. Maybe. Not sure if it's possible.

Really, these leaks are mostly just fun because you get to *see* what they were thinking, and also things that got dropped. Did you know that the Wii was supposed to support using Wiimotes with GameCube software? There is supposedly a hardware SI emulator in the Hollywood.

Apparently BroadOn planned to do this... by sticking the entire USB and Bluetooth stacks in Starlet SRAM. Gee, I can't imagine how that didn't work out...

Though if you tried hard enough and cut a lot of corners, *maybe* you could squeeze something in. Anyone want to try?

But Devolution already does this in a more flexible way anyway... So again, we're past that.

So while I certainly find it *interesting* to read a full Hollywood ACR register documentation, it isn't going to lead to any breakthroughs.

Now if the leak *really* contained full Verilog for the GPU, for example, that could help resolve long tail emulation mysteries... But no sane emulator developer is going to want to taint their project like that.

But it doesn't, so this is a moot point.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

As a spectator with limited knowledge, that breakdown is really helpful for context, thanks!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Goon Boots posted:

Lol, sounds a little like The Bad Touch. This rules.

For some reason, it reminds me of Tom Murphy using a NES to emulate a SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9WRwCiSr0

:aaaaa:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

While it is super convenient/easy/cool that you can put Retroarch onto a thumb drive and run it on an Intel NUC, it's super unreliable and sometimes the drive will just stop working. I think my most recent gently caress-up is that I filled up the secondary USB thumb drive too full and now the system can't even read it (is that even possible?).

I guess it's time to get an SSD for this thing?

Some of the recent changelogs for RetroArch indicate that the developers are aware of performance issues and bugs that occur when trying to run the app in environments where the RA installation lives on a slow disk. The most recent release (1.8.6) has some improvements to help with this, but the way they talk about it, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other areas of the app that are unoptimized in this way.

Also, yeah, don't try and run RA off of a disk that's too full. You need extra room for all the emulator stuff that gets generated at runtime, like configuration files, game saves, savestates, and so on.

e: The 1.8.6 update to RA has a new default UI called Ozone. Functionally, it's not all that different than the XMB one, but it has less swoopy motions and it fits more information on screen. I like it. If you have an existing RA installation, you can select it from the in-game settings menus.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 10, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My issue is I can't easily track storage space using LAKKA. RA itself doesn't have a drive space monitor that I know of and since LAKKA just boots right into RA, I'd need to constantly monitor it via command line queries as I transfer games to it.

It'd also be nice if RA was smart enough to not let you completely hose a USB drive by filling it to the drat brim and then refusing to read it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I think you're expecting too much out of RetroArch. Yeah it's an attempt to create a more "friendly" emulation system. But it still isn't there yet on a complete plug-and-play way in many aspects. It's still a "power user" toy that will blow up if you don't know its ins and outs.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
However, if you are a poweruser it's pretty cool so far. I've essentially switched over to it outside of a few cases.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Retroarch is def a quality backend if you're using a good frontend like Launchbox -- If you aren't bothered by watching some youtube videos and doing some tweaking to get it all put together you could do a lot worse.

Personally, I just use Negatron and Mame sets for 98% of my emulation needs. It has some weird idiosyncrasies but it's way head of the more standard MameUI or stock UI.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, or the retro computing thread, but eh.

Since Launchbox was mentioned... I've got a Launchbox setup that I'm pretty happy with so far, running everything except for PS2 in Retroarch. Decided I want to see what this hot new computer that all the cool kids are talking about these days (the Amiga) is all about, only to discover that Amiga emulation seems to be kinda a bitch and a half.

So I set up FS-UAE and all the kickstarts and everything, imported my games, and have tried playing a few. Yay, they load! But holy JESUS are the load times on these floppy games atrocious. Like yeah, obviously I know it was like that on original hardware, but is there any way to reliably speed up stuff like initial loading without impacting the speed the actual game is at?

Like, loading up Lemmings for example takes about three minutes before I actually get to the title screen. I have the floppy noises on in FS-UAE pretty much only because they're my only indication that the emulator hasnt just frozen on the loading screen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Drone posted:

Since Launchbox was mentioned... I've got a Launchbox setup that I'm pretty happy with so far, running everything except for PS2 in Retroarch. Decided I want to see what this hot new computer that all the cool kids are talking about these days (the Amiga) is all about, only to discover that Amiga emulation seems to be kinda a bitch and a half.

So I set up FS-UAE and all the kickstarts and everything, imported my games, and have tried playing a few. Yay, they load! But holy JESUS are the load times on these floppy games atrocious. Like yeah, obviously I know it was like that on original hardware, but is there any way to reliably speed up stuff like initial loading without impacting the speed the actual game is at?

Like, loading up Lemmings for example takes about three minutes before I actually get to the title screen. I have the floppy noises on in FS-UAE pretty much only because they're my only indication that the emulator hasnt just frozen on the loading screen.
Look for the WHDLoad versions of games. They're basically the floppy versions hacked to run off of a hard drive so they load much faster. FS-UAE will handle 'em just fine.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Drone posted:

I really had to stop at computer gaming for my launchbox setup. There is an even darker hole you fall into getting everything MAME supports these days and getting more wheels/platforms on your list is so addicting.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Drone posted:

I've never used FS-UAE but I've messed about with WinUAE in the past and I'm guessing they're pretty similar. I'm pretty sure there's an option in there to speed up the floppy disk emulation in there somewhere, probably in where you set up the drives.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

cool new Metroid game posted:

I've never used FS-UAE but I've messed about with WinUAE in the past and I'm guessing they're pretty similar. I'm pretty sure there's an option in there to speed up the floppy disk emulation in there somewhere, probably in where you set up the drives.
There is such an option in the Additional Configuration menu, it acts the same as the option in WinUAE.

The percentage-based options speed up the rotation speed of the virtual floppy drive. The "Turbo" option throws that all away in favour of loading instantly, but as such it is less accurate and even with a few little fudges thrown in some games/demos/copy protection systems may not like it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh that's great, I'll give that a shot.

It seems like FS-UAE doesn't really like me using my xinput controller though. I've configured it and everything, but I still seem to need to use my keyboard and mouse when in-game. Though maybe it's kinda game-dependent?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Drone posted:

Oh that's great, I'll give that a shot.

It seems like FS-UAE doesn't really like me using my xinput controller though. I've configured it and everything, but I still seem to need to use my keyboard and mouse when in-game. Though maybe it's kinda game-dependent?
If it's all nicely configured in the settings menu, just make sure it's set to the Joystick port. If it's not plugged in/turned on when the launcher starts, you may need to hit the "refresh" button to make FS-UAE realise it should be used. I've been using a DS4 turned into an Xinput pad via DS4Windows for ages and it's been fine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thanks for the help so far.

Is there a setting that sets the floppy speed across every single configuration file, instead of having to update that setting for each individual game in the launcher?

Or is the Amiga one of those platforms where I should kinda just curate my own list of the games I want to play individually, set them up the way I want them individually, and then don't import anything beyond that?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sort of a random aside but if you want access to the Saturn redump set on archive.org, you need to log in with an account now. If you look at the file listing without logging in, all of the links are removed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
When did archive become a files place? I was setting up a RetroPie and saw reference to it on a forum, last I went there it was an actual internet archive

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

As long as they host an entire library of content I think it's semi-okay?

A lot of sets are getting wiped, apparently. Probably won't last too much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Drone posted:

Thanks for the help so far.

Is there a setting that sets the floppy speed across every single configuration file, instead of having to update that setting for each individual game in the launcher?

Or is the Amiga one of those platforms where I should kinda just curate my own list of the games I want to play individually, set them up the way I want them individually, and then don't import anything beyond that?

I run all my emulators through the steam overlay these days. It takes a bit of work to make everything function, but the steam controller layer is very robust. You want something to happen? It's possible and there's probably a downloadable preset for it. You can designate overlay dial access to emulator functions such as save states, and chord gestures to do OS functions.

edit: eh, not really what you're asking for, but I'll leave this up as a general advice :)

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 1, 2020