Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Foobie posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for must have (but still reasonably priced) genesis games? I’ve got outrun truxton Toejam and earl and ecco 2 but would like some more arcade-y kinda games. Partner works at a game store and they have splatterhouse 3 which seems sick as gently caress but not for $70.

I'm still looking out for a road rash 2 cartridge myself, probably pick it up at this year's retro gaming expo, and NHL 94/96 is always a staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Streets of Rage 2 goes for ~$25 for cart only

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Foobie posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for must have (but still reasonably priced) genesis games? I’ve got outrun truxton Toejam and earl and ecco 2 but would like some more arcade-y kinda games. Partner works at a game store and they have splatterhouse 3 which seems sick as gently caress but not for $70.

NBA Jam. I picked up a copy for $6 CIB a few months ago.
Forgotten Worlds owns, Shining Force II (can be expensive but is on the Nintendo switch online with the Genesis add on.) the one I always recommend is Faery Tale Adventure.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Mercs is excellent and I doubt a cart only would be all that expensive.

I just got Zero Tolerance CIB in the mail today. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but it's incredibly impressive for being a FPS on the Genesis. Actually starts out pretty fun, but becomes super difficult and annoying towards the end.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Foobie posted:

There was a goon who had asked for genesis carts for an art project and then wandered off into the ether.
I have NFL Football 94, Pat Riley Basketball, College Football Championship and NBA All Star Challenge as bare carts you can have for straight shipping cost. They are in a padded envelope ready to go if you want them. Just PM me and I will get them in the mail today / tomorrow.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Foobie posted:

X-Men 2 Clone Wars was pretty awesome

But if it's a true arcade experience you want, Altered Beast is always at the top of the list :p

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Rocket Knight Adventures is my absolute favorite game, you should get that one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ControlV posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures is my absolute favorite game, you should get that one.

This. Rocket Knight is a great game. I also have a fondness for Maximum Carnage.

Also, all the classic Sonic games (1-3 + &Knuckles) are still pretty cheap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

S3+k is worth owning just because sega has retroactively wiped it from existence presumably because of the Jackson estate’s objections.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

S3+k is worth owning just because sega has retroactively wiped it from existence presumably because of the Jackson estate’s objections.

They released a new version of it a year and a half ago in Sonic Origins. They just cut out the music related to Jackson and reinserted the original tracks that they used in the old PC port.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right. Which is completely shameful

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Having never burned a CD in the past 10 years, I successfully burned a Codebreakers boot disc so I can play my (legit) Japanese copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 when it comes in the mail soon.

With a world of Japanese import Dreamcast gaming at my fingertips, what other imports should I look into tracking down? This includes Japanese versions of American releases (I’m assuming they’re cheaper than the US version nowadays).

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Foobie posted:

Alien Storm, Gain Ground, Bonaza Bros and Zombies ate my neighbors all spring to mind.
(I didn’t check prices, so if any of these are way up there, apologies)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Foobie posted:

Castle of Illusion - early platformer that nailed it
Golden Axe - good arcade port
Mystic Defender - fun arcadey platformer
Thunder Force 2 (and above, but more expensive)

Seconding things already mentioned
Forgotten Worlds - play 2 player and you basically can't die though

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Having never burned a CD in the past 10 years, I successfully burned a Codebreakers boot disc so I can play my (legit) Japanese copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 when it comes in the mail soon.

With a world of Japanese import Dreamcast gaming at my fingertips, what other imports should I look into tracking down? This includes Japanese versions of American releases (I’m assuming they’re cheaper than the US version nowadays).

If you can get Super Puzzle Fighter then you've got basically the best puzzle game on the whole system! Bonus points for not needing any Japanese at all to play it! I will say that most of the diamonds on the Dreamcast (for my taste) weren't released here in the States, but there are some that have some fan translations or can be played with machine translation. SGGG is one, Frame Gride, Trizeal, Run-Dim as Black Soul are all bangers

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

+1 for Frame Gride, played that recently and had a good time with the translated version.

I don't believe there are any fan translations out for Segagaga are there? That's one of my Dreamcast white whales, and I don't think a machine translation would do it justice

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

+1 for Frame Gride, played that recently and had a good time with the translated version.

I don't believe there are any fan translations out for Segagaga are there? That's one of my Dreamcast white whales, and I don't think a machine translation would do it justice

I don't think there is, sadly--it would be an ENORMOUS ask because it's like, a pure distillation of Japanese y2k Tech/Post-Bubble culture in a way that would be a huge undertaking to localize or translate

It rocks though

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Segagaga is one of the bigger games that has no translation and I don't think anyone's really made progress on one still. One of the many games I have been slowly learning Japanese for that's on PC-88/98 & Dreamcast/Saturn.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I bought Segagaga for some dumb reason (saw at a local game store in the US) and +1 on wanting translation. It will go well with the shirt and all of the pins and whatnot the box came with.

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2009/01/segagaga-box-set-inside-out.html

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I’d pledge for a Segagaga translation kickstarter project thing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If it helps any other Japanese learners, I test at about N2 or so and did pretty good, likely buoyed by knowing a bit about a lot of the cultural stuff—but it’s also doable slowly with machine translation if you view it less as playing a video game and more like doing a cultural project

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

falz posted:

I bought Segagaga for some dumb reason (saw at a local game store in the US) and +1 on wanting translation. It will go well with the shirt and all of the pins and whatnot the box came with.

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2009/01/segagaga-box-set-inside-out.html

I keep regretting not getting a copy a couple years ago, every time I see one now it’s way more than what I want to pay. May just have to suck it up and splurge on that.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Mine was idk just pre pandemic? Sega nerd alert warning

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

falz posted:

How much were the Neo Geo games :O

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Panic! is an all time great Sega cd game. Glad to see someone else has it.
You know what would look good next to it? a CIB copy of Final Fight CD...

Also I am once again mad at Sega for going away from their clamshell boxes. Cardboard boxes SUCK. Those Neo Geo shock boxes are the hotness though. I only have one MVS cart (but it has 160+ games on it)

otter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 28, 2024

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

falz posted:

You talking about Sega but all I see is that Zen: Intergalactic Ninja in box :eyepop:

otter posted:

Also I am once again mad at Sega for going away from their clamshell boxes. Cardboard boxes SUCK.

Yea the early Genesis games are probably my favorite video game box and art design. Even the red spine/cover clam shells don't really look as good imo. I haven't picked it up yet, but I think the only cardboard game I plan on buying is X-Men 2.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the plastic cases were superior to the SNES and i still have all of mine

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

But do you have your manuals?
Seems they are missing from the vast majority of Master System games you can find today

falz
Jan 29, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

How much were the Neo Geo games :O

I got lucky. ~5yrs ago someone was selling most of them and a jnx consimized mvs and I think I paid $400 and they had shock boxes.

But I picked up a other half dozen missing from the 161 in one - a few are repros but I don't care. Shock troopers 1, league bowling, that one adventure game, waku waku 7..

otter posted:

Panic! is an all time great Sega cd game. Glad to see someone else has it.
You know what would look good next to it? a CIB copy of Final Fight CD...

Panic is amazing in 45 increments once every 9 months. But especially with friends. But amazing nonetheless.

I'll pick up ff if I ever see it. Try to buy something from $localvideogamestore whenever travelling.

katkillad2 posted:

You talking about Sega but all I see is that Zen: Intergalactic Ninja in box :eyepop:
I got an insane deal on old inventory from a mom n pop towny video store about 10 years ago. Shed most of it but kept those. It was missing manual but bought it on eBay not long after and there it sits. I hear it's good and maybe I should play it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

freelop posted:

But do you have your manuals?
Seems they are missing from the vast majority of Master System games you can find today

i never threw manuals away so i have most of mine but for games i got second hand its hit or miss whether i have the manuals or not

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the Jump/Tremor/Rumble Pack for the Dreamcast worth getting, and if so can I get by with a third party one or should I stick with OEM Sega?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I got mine after about a year of DC ownership and it definitely added a lot, since I'm so used to it on PS systems. For being an aftermarket item, nearly every game seems to have support, which is nice. I got an official one at a discount when my local retro game store was shutting down, so can't weigh in on official vs. third party.

Don't think I can ever go back to rumble-free Crazy Taxi in this lifetime, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone have any experience burning .mds/.mdf files to make a usable Saturn disc? I don't have much experience burning CDs/DVDs to begin with, but it looks like you can't just burn'em and play'em like you can an .iso for some other platforms. >_>

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Anyone have any experience burning .mds/.mdf files to make a usable Saturn disc? I don't have much experience burning CDs/DVDs to begin with, but it looks like you can't just burn'em and play'em like you can an .iso for some other platforms. >_>

Have you tried Alcohol 120%? It's been a while since I've had to burn discs but way way way back in the day it was just a matter of mounting and burning like any other ISO

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

I always had trouble with that format. Had to use .bin/.iso instead

falz
Jan 29, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Unsure why you have that specific format, but archive.org contains various things -I think mostly in .chd format. I figured it out on Linux so probably do-able on Windows

https://falz.net/wiki/Burn_CHD_files_to_play_on_original_gaming_systems

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

My ADHD is getting the better of me today but I meant to post this in here earlier.
Has anyone done a screen mod for their nomad? I am curious if anyone has specifically done the hispeedio one, which is like $80.
I have seen the video Tito did on Macho Nacho, but that screen is probably never, ever coming back into stock.
This one is $79 and I'm considering just buying it before this weekend.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805749855661.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

otter posted:

My ADHD is getting the better of me today but I meant to post this in here earlier.
Has anyone done a screen mod for their nomad? I am curious if anyone has specifically done the hispeedio one, which is like $80.
I have seen the video Tito did on Macho Nacho, but that screen is probably never, ever coming back into stock.
This one is $79 and I'm considering just buying it before this weekend.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805749855661.html

I was going to a few years ago, but all mods at the time were composite video based. Has that changed, and are things truly RGB native now?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Here’s a nice little piece about the crazy story of Treasure’s Alien Soldier.

https://mdshock.com/2024/04/12/the-incredibly-bizarre-plot-of-alien-soldier-finally-explained/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

falz posted:

I was going to a few years ago, but all mods at the time were composite video based. Has that changed, and are things truly RGB native now?

It claims to be RGB. I have a few videos in queue but need to be able to watch them when I have time that I am not working.