Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
MT-32 emulation
This is not something I had ever known about while I was a kid, but learned about a few years ago.
If you’ve ever played a DOS game with the “Roland” setting in the music setup, this is what it’s about. It the late 80s and early 90s, Roland released a MIDI synthesizer for PCs called the MT-32. It was about making music, but turned into an option for having great music for your games. The mainstay for game audio at the time was the Adlib, which used a Yamaha OPL2 chip, which SoundBlaster also did (and the succeeding OPL3 in Pro 2.0 and up).
If you’re into playing old DOS games, this might be a fun way to add a new experience to it. With games of this era being some of my favorite, this added a new dimension of enjoyment for me.
Here is a comparison of the SoundBlaster to the MT-32 for the Space Quest III intro (MT-32 version at 4:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApX60Y8djPI
Now without the genuine hardware, we’re going to have to emulate it, which doesn’t sound quite as great, but it’s still a big improvement.
What kind of games use it?
Sierra adventure games like the later King’s Quest (4-7 and 1 VGA), Space Quest 3 and up, Police Quest (1-3 (vga remake of 1)), Quest for Glory series, etc. Some LucasArts like Monkey Island 1 & 2, Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing. Then some other fun ones like Master of Orion, X-Com and SimCity 2000. There’s a list on Wikipedia, not sure how comprehensive it is.
OK OK already, how do we do it?
We need two main things:
Munt, the emulator:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/
The ROM :filez:
Supposedly was allowed to be distributed by some court case, but I won’t link them directly just in case. They’re the second result on Google for "MT-32 Roms", and the first on Bing & Ecosia, on a post on Vogons.org
There are the ROMS for the MT-32 and the CM-32, a later version specifically for computers that also had some digital sound effects, but I usually stick with MT-32. Download all of them and you can try both versions if you want. We probably want to use the Control ROM that says patched, but just download them all and save them. You can find more info about the compatibility and revisions on Wikipedia, etc.

Setting it up:
You can also watch this YouTube video if my instructions are inadequate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5RWxHHVvE

For dosbox:
Install Munt
Copy the ROMS to a convenient location
Tell Munt where they are, and be sure it’s running
You have to open a DOSBOX prompt and type in “mixer /listmidi”
The number to the left of “MT-32 Synth Emulator” (usually 1) tells us the device ID of munt.
GOG or other DOSBOX preconfigured games usually have something called dosbox_[gamename].conf, for example dosbox_tiecd.conf. In the [midi] section set midiconfig= the number we got above, usually 1.
You also have to configure your game to actually use the MT-32. Some GOG games already come with a link to a setup program, but you might need to configure it manually. In TIECD there is already a script to run the setup, and you have to create a shortcut to it:
"C:\games\gog\Games\Star Wars - TIE Fighter CD (1995)\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\dosbox_tiecd.conf" -conf "..\dosbox_tiecd_settings.conf" -noconsole -c "exit"
Otherwise temporarily modify the launching script (in this case it calls TIE.EXE) to load the setup program (instead INSTALL.EXE for TIE Fighter).
Then setup the MUSIC output to use ROLAND, or MT-32 or CM-32L, etc. With LucasArts games, always use Custom & Advanced setup, otherwise you can’t set Digital Audio and Music separately. Leave audio as Sound Blaster.
For ScummVM
Pretty easy, munt is built into ScummVM: copy the MT32_CONTROL.ROM (you might need to rename this one if it has a date string in the file name) and MT32_PCM.ROM files into the ScummVM directory under Program Files. Configure with the launcher to use MT-32 Emulator.

Q&A
What games used it?

What are all the options to reproduce MT-32?
  • Munt
  • Roland Cloud ($125) has the CM-32L emulation? Don't know much about this.
  • Real hardware -- apparently getting harder to find, not covered here.

More examples:
Monkey Island 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdd2CNlcqn0
Monkey Island 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itjXIH7afDg
Dune 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCDj0IRSTk
Day of the Tentacle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J8kPXyNHrc
Quest For Glory 1 VGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTND32uc8eo&t=49s
TIE Fighter CD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JegYQPSU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This probably isn't the greatest effort OP out there but I was excited about this new forum.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm an Adlib/Sound Blaster buff, but I'll be damned if Barry Leitch's pieces doesn't sound good on the MT-32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MBWctyqxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP5VoIJzPtc

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hardware owner checking in. Not actually an MT-32 or CM-32 I have, but an RA-50. It's a larger "arranger" type hardware intended for stage musicians, but it has a full MT-32 sound module built in and sounds just as great. Except for one annoying flaw: It doesn't support the MIDI "All notes off" command, which most games will depend on for switching music in the middle of playback. If I had it hooked up to a real DOS computer I could use SoftMPU to work around it, but that workaround hasn't been backported to the DOSBox MPU-401 module.

Other games with great MT-32 soundtracks include most of the classic Microprose/MPS Labs games, like Civilization, Pirates, Railroad Tycoon.

One of the best things about MT-32 music compared to General MIDI is that the game can assume everything about the hardware, and use all the features for reprogramming the instrument sounds, instead of having to make do with the 128 preset programs in GM. The Dune 2 intro is one of the really great examples of this IMO.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I got the real deal also. It sounds amazing.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I was interested in doing something like a external midi Win tablet setup, but, also mixing in soundfonts as well as general midi emulation/munt for Win98/Mister setups. Is there anything like that? I was wondering how that would go as in using the game's midi out for triggering and using a program like ableton to have multiple different soundfonts (emulated or otherwise)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

2reachmu posted:

I was interested in doing something like a external midi Win tablet setup, but, also mixing in soundfonts as well as general midi emulation/munt for Win98/Mister setups. Is there anything like that? I was wondering how that would go as in using the game's midi out for triggering and using a program like ableton to have multiple different soundfonts (emulated or otherwise)

Hmm the other posters can answer more fully, but I'd say if the program you want registers as a midi syntheiser in Windows, you can connect to it with Dosbox in the same way you do with Munt. Lots of the comparison videos use switchers to switch between external Midi devices, but I'm not sure if it'd be better to set the game to Roland output or General Midi then as Roland isn't standard.

Maybe the posters with the MT32s can say which Midi interface they use? USB, internal card?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh for period hardware, not sure how well it'd run on Win98? Emulation is usually processor intensive

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Charles posted:

Oh for period hardware, not sure how well it'd run on Win98? Emulation is usually processor intensive

Well the concept would be that-- I would run munt and a softmidi sequencer/mixer with various soundfonts, say a sc-88 and the crysis soundfonts.

For instance, I would like to run a game like Duke 3d on a win98 pc, the game would send out the midi sequence through the Roland midi to USB to a outboard Wintablet (or laptop) that would have munt running on it. That's probably the most straightforward way I've read of doing it, using a mix of period specific hardware and using emulation for the Roland mt-32.

What I'm curious about is being able to tack on various soundfonts and other soundchip emulation (like adlib or OPL3) through general midi and being able to mix together and/or between them through another audio program that can handle midi sequencing. With maybe using an USB 4-8 channel mixer instead of a touch screen or a mouse.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can absolutely use a modern PC with a MIDI softsynth running on it to pretend being a hardware synth, and hook it up to an otherwise emulation-free retro PC.
Pretty much any USB-MIDI cable will work fine, as far as I know there isn't any significant quality difference.

Just be aware, while Munt is a very good emulation of MT-32, if you want an emulated SC-55 or SC-88 the only option is Roland's own VSTi version. There's a lot going on inside the SoundCanvas series and a soundfont can't hit all the details.

Also keep in mind that Adlib/OPL2/OPL3 is not MIDI. It'd take a bunch of extra software to turn it into a MIDI signal, including a device-emulating protected mode TSR on the playback end.

Edit: I use two of this USB-MIDI cable to hook up my RA-50, SC-55, and Korg synths. (Don't remember model number of the Korg.) It can function as either an IN-OUT cable pair, or as two IN, or as two OUT, and I've had zero issues with it.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 22, 2019

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

nielsm posted:

You can absolutely use a modern PC with a MIDI softsynth running on it to pretend being a hardware synth, and hook it up to an otherwise emulation-free retro PC.
Pretty much any USB-MIDI cable will work fine, as far as I know there isn't any significant quality difference.

Just be aware, while Munt is a very good emulation of MT-32, if you want an emulated SC-55 or SC-88 the only option is Roland's own VSTi version. There's a lot going on inside the SoundCanvas series and a soundfont can't hit all the details.

Also keep in mind that Adlib/OPL2/OPL3 is not MIDI. It'd take a bunch of extra software to turn it into a MIDI signal, including a device-emulating protected mode TSR on the playback end.

The SoundCanvas stuff I'm certainly interested in, but, that will likely be left to a Mister setup (Since it's pretty unlikely I'm going to be able to afford Japanese retro PCs). I probably misspoke re: the Adlib/OPL2/OPL3 hardware. As those cards are still pretty easy to get a hold of. I'm mostly interested in being able to use emulation for the Roland hardware and soundfonts for general midi, but, somehow mixing them together and I haven't seen anyone really do that with retropc, outside having a stack of actual synths.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEAoMm8DAgU has a ton of hardware from what I can gather and it seems like it be cool to flip through all this stuff on the software side than a huge piles of midi synths. Which would also be cool, if cost prohibitive.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you. I got headphones for hearing the ultimate MIDI.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I started playing Legend Entertainment's Gateway and it's MT-32 soundtrack is pretty drat good: https://youtu.be/c3NhTcpWcf4?t=394

Not MT-32 related but the latest version of ScummVM (2.1.0) can use Nuked OPL for really accurate OPL3 emulation when using Adlib music. Not a huge difference mind you but the instruments / tones sound much clearer when comparing it to the old OPL emulation.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm using this for the first time, but the music I'm getting is really weird and janky. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I'll try to get some video. I'd like to tweak settings to fix this, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'll try to see if I can get a recording of what the music is like. It's still recognizably the songs, but something is missing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

demota posted:

I'm using this for the first time, but the music I'm getting is really weird and janky. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I'll try to get some video. I'd like to tweak settings to fix this, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'll try to see if I can get a recording of what the music is like. It's still recognizably the songs, but something is missing.

What game are you playing? Is it MT-32 compatible? If you try and pipe General MIDI in it usually doesn't sound great.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Charles posted:

What game are you playing? Is it MT-32 compatible? If you try and pipe General MIDI in it usually doesn't sound great.

So far, I've tried the CD versions of TIE Fighter and X-Wing (From Steam). I set both of them to use Roland sound in their setup files.

mewse
May 2, 2006

demota posted:

So far, I've tried the CD versions of TIE Fighter and X-Wing (From Steam). I set both of them to use Roland sound in their setup files.

I think those games came later than the era of the MT-32. By "roland sound" it probably means the soundcanvas which does general midi.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im actually interested in getting a mt-32 someday maybe later this year but i have a few questions about it
what exactly do you need to get it working because it seems like you cant just buy a mt-32 and be good you need like an mpu-401 and certain cables and connectors and potentially specific sound cards and whatever else seems like a mess and id hate to be the jackass who buys an mt-32 and an mpu-401 and then still cant use it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do you want to use it with a real DOS PC (or Amiga or whatever), or are you okay with just using it via DOSbox/other emulation on a modern PC?

If you want to use it with a modern PC only, you can get a USB MIDI cable that's enough to hook it up. That cable will present as a MIDI device in your OS, and you can then configure DOSbox's built-in MPU-401 emulation to use that hardware MIDI port.

If you want to use it with retro hardware, you need something to act as MPU-401. There's two options there, either a real Roland MPU-401 (exists in many versions, on PC all for ISA bus), or a sound card with a regular DB-15 gameport and a dongle to get the MIDI ports from that. Serdashop's DB15MIDI works for that. When you use a gameport-MIDI adapter, some games that require a real MPU-401 ("intelligent mode") can't work, for those you'll also need to have SoftMPU loaded, and that requires a 386 CPU or higher.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

nielsm posted:

If you want to use it with retro hardware, you need something to act as MPU-401. There's two options there, either a real Roland MPU-401 (exists in many versions, on PC all for ISA bus), or a sound card with a regular DB-15 gameport and a dongle to get the MIDI ports from that. Serdashop's DB15MIDI works for that. When you use a gameport-MIDI adapter, some games that require a real MPU-401 ("intelligent mode") can't work, for those you'll also need to have SoftMPU loaded, and that requires a 386 CPU or higher.

ah dope i might buy one now then if i dont have to buy an mpu-401i actually think i already have the dongle because i bought this at good will recently https://www.amazon.com/Voyetra-Voy-7447-Digital-Music-Starter/dp/B000059PDM and im pretty sure its the same exact thing i need
so with this and a CT1770 and a roland mt-32 im good to go right

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

starbarry clock posted:

ah dope i might buy one now then if i dont have to buy an mpu-401i actually think i already have the dongle because i bought this at good will recently https://www.amazon.com/Voyetra-Voy-7447-Digital-Music-Starter/dp/B000059PDM and im pretty sure its the same exact thing i need
so with this and a CT1770 and a roland mt-32 im good to go right

Yep that looks like it has the right cable included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!
If you're planning to play games on period hardware but don't feel like having an extra machine sitting about running MUNT, this ought to be compelling: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi

This is a version of MUNT that runs on a baremetal kernel and intended to make a Raspberry Pi act like a drop-in alternative for the real deal.You copy the contents to an SD card, add the ROMs and switch it on. After a few seconds it's ready to pretend it's a Roland MT-32.
You can use USB or GPIO for MIDI, on-board audio works (though an optional DAC is recommended) and there's preliminary support for OLED displays to show message data.

Arananet built a hat for mt32-pi, which combines a DAC, MIDI In and OLED display. It sold out in minutes, but preorders are taken: https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/product/pi-midi-a-baremetal-mt32-emulator-using-raspberry-pi3/

This thing is still under development, but things are moving fast. Officially it runs fine on Pi4 and Pi3 boards, and with a little config tinkering it can be made to run passable (for games at least) on a Pi2 if need be.