Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
this RISC pipe dream will never take off

why, the Sun-4/110 and DECstation 2100 are slower than the first shipping 68040s are projected to be, and you know Motorola is just going to keep churning out faster CPUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fyi it gets funnier when you take the incorrect side of the retro argument

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think deus ex was literally the last game to require 3dfx / glide to run well

I feel like early releases of Starsiege(R) Tribes(TM) required glide for 3D accel but I could be remembering wrong

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

something the dilbert chud actually decided was worth arguing in a book they were writing:

I predict that isdn is totally going to hold its own against the cable companies because the isdn companies know how to do customer service

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

I feel like early releases of Starsiege(R) Tribes(TM) required glide for 3D accel but I could be remembering wrong

tribes was 1998, deus ex 2000.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I never played deus ex for more than 10 minutes or so, so this is a fair assessment

isn’t that the game with all the mosquitoes or whatever?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Progressive JPEG posted:

something the dilbert chud actually decided was worth arguing in a book they were writing:

I predict that isdn is totally going to hold its own against the cable companies because the isdn companies know how to do customer service

I mean its not isdn per se but I sure as hell get my internet from a phone provider not a cable provider, and that is very much because of the relative quality of customer service

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

WilWheaton posted:

Retro Argument:

The human eye cant see over 24 fps anyway, that's why movies are at 24 fps

Fun fact: the guy who writes X-Plane still believes this and says that if you're getting more than 25-30 fps you should boost your graphics settings to stop "wasting" your computer power

(It's kind of academic though because x-plane is so horribly optimized you're lucky to see more than 40 in most situations regardless of settings)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
x-plane? I can’t imagine wanting a new flight simulator, they’ll never improve on 4.0

I bet “x-plane” doesn’t even have hercules support, smdh

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

eschaton posted:

besides, multibus is clearly the superior bus architecture, having been designed by actual engineers

ISO/IEC 10861:1994 supremacy

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i got deus ex working on a voodoo 2. incredibly smooth frame rate but blurry and lovely because voodoo2

i think deus ex was literally the last game to require 3dfx / glide to run well

It runs fine/great on a TNT2 or higher on Windows, even on 32 bit (with a low res) the mac port just sucked rear end.
The glide version is worse imo because ~dithering~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

16-bit color should be enough for anyone

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

16 colors should be enough for anyone

bring back ega

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
CGA's colour palettes actually were genius since they played off the CRT scanlines with a bunch of hacks to look way better than they seem to us now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Web-Safe Colors :cool:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WilWheaton posted:

CGA's colour palettes actually were genius since they played off the CRT scanlines with a bunch of hacks to look way better than they seem to us now

Early CGA stuff did, anyway.

Once VGA was common and games just had a CGA mode for backwards compatibility, developers stopped bothering to make it actually look good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WilWheaton posted:

idk watched some youtube about cga graphics and spent ages before they finally showed the goods which was cga on crt and idk
wasnt that good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WilWheaton posted:

You mean when using composite right?

Here's a video about it. Skip to 7:24 if you want to see the comparisons'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

I suppose it's not very impressive for today's standard s, but having played some of those games in ugly-rear end RGB mode when I was a kid I had no idea that this was even possible, so it was somewhat of a revelation learning about this decades later.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Can't believe there are actual people who spend all that money on a DVD drive and forget to buy a decoder card

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's worth buying a MPEG-1 card just to be able to experience Video Cube 3D and the Special Edition of Return To Zork.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

Can't believe there are actual people who spend all that money on a DVD drive and forget to buy a decoder card

decoder cards are a scam, wait until the new Pentium 3s with SSE come out and can do it in software.
if anyone is buying a DVD drive for their K6 just buy a stand alone unit instead.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't think you needed a P3 to do software DVD decode, I'm pretty sure my P2 at 350mhz was doing it in software.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah wasn't the deal with those cards that you could watch dvds on a 486

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
iirc as late as the yosemite G3 they were still a thing, sorta. the rage 128 in dvd-equipped models had a daughter card for decoding mpeg in hardware, i think

i remember when i got mine, i had to choose between the dvd drive (and i think that card) and the 450MHz processor. i chose the latter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat i wanted a tv capture card

don’t know why. just seemed cool

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

echinopsis posted:

I had one, it was actually really cool. I could watch TV in a little window. Fortunately the US will always require open analog TV tuners so this will always be free and available.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think you needed a P3 to do software DVD decode, I'm pretty sure my P2 at 350mhz was doing it in software.

mpeg2 @ 720x480 with scaling to 800x480 would have been a mighty tall order for a p2 @ 350 mhz

i definitely bought a decoder card because my pentium 2 or pentium 3 or whatever didn't reliably handle dvd video

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

watching an extremely low res mpeg-1 video on a dos 486 of somebody lighting a grill with liquid oxygen

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
huh weird, my parents spoiled me big-time and got me a new PC for christmas '98, it was a pentium 2 at 350MHz and i remember it was a Big Deal that it had a DVD drive and i don't remember it ever having a dedicated decoder card. could the video card have been pulling double duty as a decoder?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

huh weird, my parents spoiled me big-time and got me a new PC for christmas '98, it was a pentium 2 at 350MHz and i remember it was a Big Deal that it had a DVD drive and i don't remember it ever having a dedicated decoder card. could the video card have been pulling double duty as a decoder?

Yes.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

echinopsis posted:

with a hauppage tv capture card you can build your own pvr and not have to deal with a dumb tivo! just install mythtv under gentoo and face to bloodshed

spring for a card with a hardware mpeg-2 encoder, too, otherwise they're only really useful for live tv, which is still analog! the ati all-in-wonder stuff is terrible so avoid that

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1998 makes it doubtful

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember the ati all in wonder

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Probably not in that generation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

it's hard to be absolutely certain but it looks like MPEG-2 decoding came in with the Rage 128 on the ATi side

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Remember this poo poo lmfao

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my computer came with a DVD golf game lol. it was so futuristic!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

psiox posted:

with a hauppage tv capture card you can build your own pvr and not have to deal with a dumb tivo! just install mythtv under gentoo and face to bloodshed

spring for a card with a hardware mpeg-2 encoder, too, otherwise they're only really useful for live tv, which is still analog! the ati all-in-wonder stuff is terrible so avoid that

i had a tv wonder at one point and yeah, it was complete trash

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

spankmeister posted:

Probably not in that generation.

this was really gnawing at me for some reason so i went digging around the internet, and it looks like NEC was selling systems with ATI 3D Rage II and Pro cards in 1998 (which did support MPEG-2 playback), so i'm guessing whatever video card my PC came with was doing decoder work as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

it was so so bad op