Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

quantumfoam posted:

Try going into the in-game options menu of Mechwarrior 2 (hit F1 I think), which also allows you to tweak the in-game graphics settings.
Always found MechVM pretty frustrating/gimped, DOS versions of Mechwarrior 2 under DOSBox is my preference.

Weird, MechVM is just a shell that runs Mech 2 in a DOSBOX window. I’ll try those settings though, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It’s taken three days, but I’ve finally got MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, and the Mercs/Expansions to work on Windows 10. Surprisingly, Mech 4 was by far the hardest to get working.

Mech 4 Mercs question: should I install the IS and Clan Mech Packs, or does the MekTek version include those already?

How did you get 2 working if you don’t mind my asking? I’ve got the titanium trilogy version and have been jonesing to run it for a while but haven’t been able to get it working on anything past XP. I’ve looked online but the only thing I can find is MechVM which apparently doesn’t work on 10.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Genpei Turtle posted:

How did you get 2 working if you don’t mind my asking? I’ve got the titanium trilogy version and have been jonesing to run it for a while but haven’t been able to get it working on anything past XP. I’ve looked online but the only thing I can find is MechVM which apparently doesn’t work on 10.

I’m using MechVM on Windows 10, it works fine, though I’m using ISOs of the DOs version of Mech 2. All MechVM is is a preconfigured shell running on the back of DOSBox.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I too tried using MechVM with the Window's enhanced versions of Mechwarrior 2/Ghost Bear/Mercs and when MechVM did work it was always slow and laggy.
Directly using DOSBox was much easier (you set maybe 5 things and do a custom CD mount). Regardless of what you use, import the mech builds from mech2.org's netmech client..

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a copy of MW2 for Playstation and I'm wondering how close it is to the original or if I should play on PC instead?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kazvall posted:

I have a copy of MW2 for Playstation and I'm wondering how close it is to the original or if I should play on PC instead?

I'd definitely get the DOS version for PC. It's by far the easiest to setup and get running, still looks and plays great as well!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

I too tried using MechVM with the Window's enhanced versions of Mechwarrior 2/Ghost Bear/Mercs and when MechVM did work it was always slow and laggy.
Directly using DOSBox was much easier (you set maybe 5 things and do a custom CD mount). Regardless of what you use, import the mech builds from mech2.org's netmech client..

That's too bad--I kind of wanted to play MW2 Mercenaries and I heard that the DOS version had some bugs (specifically with regards to salvage) that the Windows builds didn't. I can't remember whether the CDs had the DOS versions on them so I'll have to see if they do.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I had the Mechwarrior 2 series Titanium Collection versions too and be prepared for disappointment and frustration.
The Titanium collection DOS folders are gimped and need to be opened/run under 16bit/32bit Windows, negating the entire point of including them.

Never noticed any salvage bugs playing any of the Mechwarrior 2 games, then again I wasn't zapruder film analyzing the gameplay like PoptartsNinja in their LP's.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Got a link to those Let's Plays? Didn't find them with Google.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone know how to get mw2 to work with a modern joystick?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Got a link to those Let's Plays? Didn't find them with Google.

PTN did a Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries LP as a side project or something in one of their older "Let's Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history" megathreads.
Pretty sure if you ask around in Traditional Games or message PTN directly, someone should get back to you with links.

Lawman 0 posted:

Does anyone know how to get mw2 to work with a modern joystick?

Try making a joystick profile that emulates a Microsoft SideWinder precision pro, and map whatever you can from that modern joystick to that emulated profile.
Sidewinder pro's came out around the same time as the Mechwarrior 2 games

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667477&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The MW2 Mercs LP.

Nashira
Jan 18, 2020

That's really cool. :P

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:gizz:

I wish somebody would recreate the MW2 games in Unity. They'd be so amazing with a few tweaks that weren't possible in the old engines.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bubbacub posted:

:gizz:

I wish somebody would recreate the MW2 games in Unity. They'd be so amazing with a few tweaks that weren't possible in the old engines.

Thankful with Mech VM and the DOS versions of the game, they run fantastic in Windows 10 and can even be supportive of WASD controls.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Holy poo poo I just got to the part of the thread where PTN went nuts with the salvage bug. I had no idea you could salvage a Timber Wolf : :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Thankful with Mech VM and the DOS versions of the game, they run fantastic in Windows 10 and can even be supportive of WASD controls.

Yeah, they just need some bug fixes and balance tweaks, and MW2:Mercs could use an art pass on colors and terrain geometry (and adding the Unseen back in). Here's somebody's patch to fix the CPU-linked jumpjet recharge issue: https://gist.github.com/anpage/9b5ec3d72200117e224b2e696e8b4280

I haven't tried it yet but it's cool that people are still working on fixing stuff.