Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
One of the most uh, engaging parts of HellMOO from the admin side is that it always had very very interested players, but like every online community the most vocal 20% were also prone to insane fabrications and delusional reads of their own technical ability, reliability, and work ethic. Myself included! It was always extremely funny to see outside reads on why we made certain decisions or changed specific things. At the end there were basically 2 active wizards and 1 to 1 and a half active admins. Gilmore'd been done with the game for the better part of a decade.

I guess my point is that the HellMOO community has always been super hyperbolic about this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I've been trying out Cybersphere a little bit, but am bouncing off the information gating nature of the RP enforced crowd. It's just such a huge impediment to learning games, and makes me miss all the QOL stuff I'm used to from other games a lot. Most of the time I'll wake up from my cube, deliver some packages for enough money to pay my rent, and end up barely ahead of where I started money-wise. It's a cool environment so far but I just do not feel motivated to play, even though other players have been cool and there are some fun interaction systems (somebody stole my pack of cigs at a bar and I went back and acted like I'd dropped them). Lots of room for acting out little cyberpunk vignettes but I'm totally lost when it comes to the actual gameplay.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jorge Bell posted:

Most of the time I'll wake up from my cube, deliver some packages for enough money to pay my rent, and end up barely ahead of where I started money-wise.

Ah, California Simulator

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Jorge Bell posted:

I've been trying out Cybersphere a little bit, but am bouncing off the information gating nature of the RP enforced crowd. It's just such a huge impediment to learning games, and makes me miss all the QOL stuff I'm used to from other games a lot. Most of the time I'll wake up from my cube, deliver some packages for enough money to pay my rent, and end up barely ahead of where I started money-wise. It's a cool environment so far but I just do not feel motivated to play, even though other players have been cool and there are some fun interaction systems (somebody stole my pack of cigs at a bar and I went back and acted like I'd dropped them). Lots of room for acting out little cyberpunk vignettes but I'm totally lost when it comes to the actual gameplay.

I tried that out once... It was tougher to get a character through the application process than to get some of the jobs I've had. Pretty cool setting and a lot of detail there, but ultimately found enforced RP is absolutely not my jam. Also got the impression that a lot of the older/more powerful players really enjoyed lording it over newbies... There was a particular NCPD role player that gave off immediate tremendous bad vibes.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Finding out about HellMOO closed down makes me nostalgic. 2010 - 2012 HellMOO/HateMOO was a really unique experience and I'd kill to have an active player base for something similar.

Even the awful/edgy dark humor carried over from the original devs that would never fly today. It gave it some kind of weird hosed up... charm I guess?

Maybe Gilmore will cave again and decide to throw it up after another couple of months like the flake he is.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

CrazyJesus posted:

Finding out about HellMOO closed down makes me nostalgic. 2010 - 2012 HellMOO/HateMOO was a really unique experience and I'd kill to have an active player base for something similar.

Even the awful/edgy dark humor carried over from the original devs that would never fly today. It gave it some kind of weird hosed up... charm I guess?

Maybe Gilmore will cave again and decide to throw it up after another couple of months like the flake he is.

A couple of the forks are still going.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

super nailgun posted:

A couple of the forks are still going.

I jumped into InfernoMOO to reignite my interset in MUDs.

It's pretty okay so far which is saying A LOT for what I remember from HellMOO.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

MUD1 released in 1978 and even let you say gently caress at other players (as long as both of you were hooked up to the Essex University mainframe)

cross post from "What was the first video game where you could say "gently caress""

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I've been on an extended "reading about early computer games" kick, that's some very cool ad copy from the state of the art 45 years ago

it's given me the itch, so I've been playing mostly 21st century IF games, and last nite logged into Discworld MUD for the first time in yeeeaaars

Almost done solving everything I can find in Pumpkin Town! deciding for some dumb reason to wield a chain, a thing I would never do, if playing strictly alone

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I’m gonna be sad one day when I get that MUD itch, try to log in to Discworld, and find it gone. I’ve had characters on there off and on for about 25 years.

Basically everything else I’ve ever tried is either dead or empty.

(RIP Dragon’s Gate)

Still planning to put something together for my friends with Evennia over the winter.

E: welp, made a new thief. Draw to return was too strong.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 8, 2023

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

I tried out a new-to-me MUD and enjoyed it enough to finish the tutorial zone in a couple hours. Logged off for the night. When I came back, I realized I had no idea what I chose for my character/login name since no one specifically referred to me by name that entire time in the tutorial zone! Welp...

Peanut Butler posted:

I've been on an extended "reading about early computer games" kick

Any of that reading happen to be here on the forums? Would like to take a peek if so.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blacula posted:

I tried out a new-to-me MUD and enjoyed it enough to finish the tutorial zone in a couple hours. Logged off for the night. When I came back, I realized I had no idea what I chose for my character/login name since no one specifically referred to me by name that entire time in the tutorial zone! Welp...

Any of that reading happen to be here on the forums? Would like to take a peek if so.

Not on the forums but you might enjoy https://www.filfre.net/2017/12/games-on-the-net-before-the-web-part-2-mud/ and the other articles on that site.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I'd never heard of Milieu / Scepter of Goth until recently. It belongs in the conversation (and seems to be missing from that blog's history).

https://dwheeler.com/scepter-of-goth/scepter-of-goth.html#history

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Blacula posted:

https://youtu.be/YfX8Z8W9JCE
One of the authors gave a talk at GDC

And another released the text of his book “Designing Virtual Worlds” as a free PDF
https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2021/08/richard-bartle-designing-virtual-worlds-free-book.html

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Has anyone given that new cyberpunk/space mashup RPI Torchship a try? I took a peek at the forums before launch and the Dev diaries on Reddit seemed like some interesting mechanics but I'm leery of RPIs.

Too many I've tried in the past foster an atmosphere of paranoia and have players horde information. That may be realistic in a dog-eat-dog world (especially in the typical way cyberpunk fiction is told) but it's pretty poo poo at fostering a collaborative storing experience.

Is Torchship different? Or is my impression of RPIs too tainted by Armageddon and the like?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
The point of a RPI is that you have to spend time kissing the rings of whoever the most persistent terminally online players are before anyone will deign to link you to the wiki where mechanics are actually explained.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Jorge Bell posted:

The point of a RPI is that you have to spend time kissing the rings of whoever the most persistent terminally online players are before anyone will deign to link you to the wiki where mechanics are actually explained.

:roflolmao:

I am saddened to see that my favorite form of RP MU*, MUSHes, have become almost free form. I checked into one and the players were negotiating the outcome of the scene prior to RPing the scene out. It blew my mind, I remember MUSHes still being similar to tabletop RPGs, where you still had to roll for anything that happened (instead of it being hard coded like a traditional hack and slash game).

It's a different ball game out there.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Jorge Bell posted:

yeah, and it gets doubly weird when the active game population is in the teens or something like that--which i'd imagine is the case for a majority of these games nowadays.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TitusGroen posted:

I am saddened to see that my favorite form of RP MU*, MUSHes, have become almost free form. I checked into one and the players were negotiating the outcome of the scene prior to RPing the scene out. It blew my mind, I remember MUSHes still being similar to tabletop RPGs, where you still had to roll for anything that happened (instead of it being hard coded like a traditional hack and slash game).

There are a few that aren't freeform, but yeah it's pretty pervasive these days.

I haven't tried torchship, but I'm interested in reviews.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Blacula posted:

cross post from "What was the first video game where you could say "gently caress""

Evidently it was the first videogame ever. That's kind of a shock to me, I went to Essex to study but never knew about this...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

Evidently it was the first videogame ever. That's kind of a shock to me, I went to Essex to study but never knew about this...

It's definitely not the first videogame ever. Maybe some combination of the first networked/real-time/persistent/whatever game, maybe.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

TitusGroen posted:

I'm on like four MUSHes right now that aren't free-form. And one game that is because how else do you figure out an outcome between superheroes from vastly different source material?

I will say since it's heyday in the late 90s that MUSHing has gotten more cooperative, but there are still some code heavy gently caress you you died because of bad rolls games out there.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's definitely not the first videogame ever. Maybe some combination of the first networked/real-time/persistent/whatever game, maybe.

there's the PLATO system described in The Friendly Orange Glow https://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Orange-Glow-Untold-Cyberculture/dp/1101871555
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

But the thing is with early systems - no mutual compatibility, all depends on a single installation on one mainframe. Much of the history of the game dies when the hardware was decomissionsed. In the end it becomes a kind of 'ruins of an ancient advanced civilization'.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Coffee Jones posted:

there's the PLATO system described in The Friendly Orange Glow https://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Orange-Glow-Untold-Cyberculture/dp/1101871555
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

But the thing is with early systems - no mutual compatibility, all depends on a single installation on one mainframe. Much of the history of the game dies when the hardware was decomissionsed. In the end it becomes a kind of 'ruins of an ancient advanced civilization'.

Looks like you can still go on one and it sounds like they’re getting continuous use which sounds real cozy. I’m gonna check it out sometime.

https://cyber1.org/

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Internet Old One posted:

Looks like you can still go on one and it sounds like they’re getting continuous use which sounds real cozy. I’m gonna check it out sometime.

https://cyber1.org/

It’s a hell of a time on cyber1. If you’re in Urbana Champaign, there is a yearly wargame convention called winter war that has a bunch of the origjnal designers of pedit5 and dnd and oubliette around.

They still play Empire each weekend.

Also some fun to be had on: https://irata.online/

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

This thread gave me a good little trip down memory lane. I played a bit of MUDs back in the early 90s, and had a friend who was really into them (like 'played for 3 days straight without sleep over the holidays') and got involved in some drama in KobraMud where he was an admin for a while. I don't really remember the drama, but I do remember my first exposure to really dumb and thirsty dudes on the internet. Someone set up an FTP server where people could post pics of themselves IRL. My friend's character was named Molly (after the character in Neuromancer) and as a joke he posted a bikini pic from a model as 'his' picture. Even though he didn't hide that he was actually a 'he' when he played and the pic was obviously professionally taken, something like a dozen guys hit on him and three made marriage proposals before he took it down. That's not a surprise now, but back in 1993 it was a first for both of us to observe.

I poked around a little and KobraMud is still running, though I don't think muds are for me any more - I poked around a little, but just couldn't get into it like I used to.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pretty sure writing triggers and aliases got me an affinity for programming, it's too bad I waited until my 30s to pursue it. I had this really sophisticated (to me) set of triggers that would cast all the buff spells I was missing for Aardwolf. If I played MUDs today I'd probably automate all sorts of cool things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

My bad, I meant to type "the first online game ever"

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 11, 2024