Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Doomed to fail due to not being brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

Doomed to fail due to not being brown.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mA posted:

Noctua's fanless CPU cooler is available for preorder. https://www.newegg.com/p/2RM-001D-001D0

so stupid

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mA posted:

Noctua's fanless CPU cooler is available for preorder. https://www.newegg.com/p/2RM-001D-001D0

Link is dead, but this looks cool? If it wasn't $100 I'd consider it for a Ryzen APU build or something for an office setting

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

mA posted:

gently caress this, what happened to that Noctua desk fan?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Neo_Crimson posted:

gently caress this, what happened to that Noctua desk fan?

Technically you could mount and hook up a bunch of Noctua fans into some sort of array that you could put on your desk.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. Get a dedicated CPU cooler. The Scythe Mugen 5 or Fuma 2 are a good match for your CPU.
2. Get an NVMe SSD. The Western Digital SN550 is the thread favourite pick for performance and value.
3. Don't bother with an X570 board, B550 boards do everything you need them to and more. All decent ones come with flashback anyway but you almost certainly won't need to use it as all new boards will come with Zen 3 compatible BIOS already on there.
4. Get a gold rated PSU.
5. I built my first PC in 15 years recently in an ITX case. You'll be fine. Full towers are like 90% wasted space by volume.

Ok I'm updating my list. Couple questions:

1. Why the CPU cooler? Is the one that comes with the CPU not good quality?

2. Regarding the PSU: Would it be best to get full modular?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The stock AMD cooler is perfectly fine but pretty much any decent third party cooler will be quieter, more effective and only cost about $30-50 so there's little reason not to get one. Full modular PSU's aren't really necessary for most people I think since the permanently attached cables are the big ones that go to the motherboard that you'll always need connected anyway.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Full modular will make the cable management part of the build a lot easier, but is by no means necessary. If you're happy to front the cost and appreciate tidiness then I'd say get it, but if you want an easy place to save money then this is it. Don't bother with semi-modular IMO, there will still be at least one spare cable you can't disconnect which kind of defeats the purpose. Just go all or nothing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What's the story on the Radeon 6000XT's? I recall hearing that they were getting some kind of upgrades for similar features as Ray Tracing and DLSS. While still BRUTALLY expensive, these seem a lot more easy to find vs the other cards.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

UmOk posted:

Ok I'm updating my list. Couple questions:

1. Why the CPU cooler? Is the one that comes with the CPU not good quality?

2. Regarding the PSU: Would it be best to get full modular?

1. It's not bad but it's loud and if you're aiming for a high end gaming PC as per your other posts ITT then it's an obvious place to spend a bit extra to get a cooler, quieter, better performing system.

2. Not necessarily. Semi-modular usually means the 24 pin motherboard cable, 8 pin motherboard cable and an 8 pin PCIe cable are already attached, and everything else is modular. You'd need all of those cables anyway so it's not like there's going to be wasted cables and even if there were, in most decent mATX or ATX cases now the PSU is hidden under a shroud where it's trivial to bundle up extra cables.

doomrider7 posted:

What's the story on the Radeon 6000XT's? I recall hearing that they were getting some kind of upgrades for similar features as Ray Tracing and DLSS. While still BRUTALLY expensive, these seem a lot more easy to find vs the other cards.

AMD's FidelityFX has been announced and looks to be a totally different implementation than DLSS. They're promising all sorts but as ever until the actual tech is out there it's difficult to know how well those promises stack up. The footage they showed off looked pretty rough though compared to where DLSS is now, but a big boon is it's not reliant upon certain GPUs to run and they're making it open to be used with any card.

The cards already have ray tracing and it's strictly worse than nVidia's 2nd gen tech and won't improve much this gen as it's quite hardware dependent. On nVidia's RTX cards they have dedicated RT cores whereas on the AMD cards it's done on the regular compute cores where it's fighting for resources with everything else the cards need to do.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 8, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. It's not bad but it's loud and if you're aiming for a high end gaming PC as per your other posts ITT then it's an obvious place to spend a bit extra to get a cooler, quieter, better performing system.

2. Not necessarily. Semi-modular usually means the 24 pin motherboard cable, 8 pin motherboard cable and an 8 pin PCIe cable are already attached, and everything else is modular. You'd need all of those cables anyway so it's not like there's going to be wasted cables and even if there were, in most decent mATX or ATX cases now the PSU is hidden under a shroud where it's trivial to bundle up extra cables.

AMD's FidelityFX has been announced and looks to be a totally different implementation than DLSS. They're promising all sorts but as ever until the actual tech is out there it's difficult to know how well those promises stack up. The footage they showed off looked pretty rough though compared to where DLSS is now, but a big boon is it's not reliant upon certain GPUs to run and they're making it open to be used with any card.

The cards already have ray tracing and it's strictly worse than nVidia's 2nd gen tech and won't improve much this gen as it's quite hardware dependent. On nVidia's RTX cards they have dedicated RT cores whereas on the AMD cards it's done on the regular compute cores where it's fighting for resources with everything else the cards need to do.

They have these at the Microcenter I'm at right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Powercolor box art getting even weirder than usual

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zero VGS posted:

Powercolor box art getting even weirder than usual

Resolution is janky on top of price being upside-down, but it was $1637 Open-Box. Thoughts?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

doomrider7 posted:

Resolution is janky on top of price being upside-down, but it was $1637 Open-Box. Thoughts?

It will have either a 15 day or 1 month return, you should buy that immediately and sort out whether it was a good value later.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

doomrider7 posted:

In the current market that's probably a 'good' deal, idk I'm not up to speed with what the AMD cards are going for in the US. RDNA2 are good cards for general framerates but if you're bothered about DLSS or ray tracing then you need to wait for an nVidia card because AMD's equivalent tech just isn't there yet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My screen has been freezing/flickering and then blue screening all week. Cleaned it, reapplied thermal paste, refresh/reinstalled win10. No luck
Was thinking its either the 660ti GPU or power supply, but messing around I shorted out the chassis fan connector on the motherboard (saw a spark) and may have killed the whole thing

Looking around at used stuff in the area, saw a computer with my exact power supply and CPU (3570k) and a 1070 for $650. Is that a good reflection of the market?

Is prebuilt going to be the way to go with how bad the graphics card market is?
Friend of mine is saying just get a prebuilt laptop from Asus but I can't imagine the heat issues being ok

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 8, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

They have these at the Microcenter I'm at right now.

Is that the Duluth Micro Center? They got around 8 of them in before I went to pick up my 3090. I went back a month later and they still had about 4 of them. The were originally like $2500.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Good lord, 2500, no thanks.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
That's why they sat on the shelf so long. No 6900 is worth that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

In the current market that's probably a 'good' deal, idk I'm not up to speed with what the AMD cards are going for in the US. RDNA2 are good cards for general framerates but if you're bothered about DLSS or ray tracing then you need to wait for an nVidia card because AMD's equivalent tech just isn't there yet.

That's issue I'm having. That's a lot of money and if I'm paying that much then it would have to be for a 3090. I COULD buy that card and try and run a trade for it(not gonna scalp it because that's just douchebaggy), but that could take time. Didn't get it either way because am broke.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I built my PC a few months back with the help of the thread, and I've got an issue maybe you all can help with. It seems like my motherboard might not be detecting my M2 SSD... sometimes? The system posts, but maybe a third to half the time Windows just won't load. It usually fixes itself with a power cycle, but I've gotten sick of turning on my computer and sitting down on the couch only to realize Windows didn't load up. Motherboard is a MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI, SSD is a Samsung 980 PRO.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Breadnought posted:

I built my PC a few months back with the help of the thread, and I've got an issue maybe you all can help with. It seems like my motherboard might not be detecting my M2 SSD... sometimes? The system posts, but maybe a third to half the time Windows just won't load. It usually fixes itself with a power cycle, but I've gotten sick of turning on my computer and sitting down on the couch only to realize Windows didn't load up. Motherboard is a MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI, SSD is a Samsung 980 PRO.

If you only have 2 drives and this is intermittent it probably isn't the problem, but some chipsets only have so much throughput and if you use an m.2 drive it effectively locks out some SATA slots. You can check for this info in your manual or just swap your SATA cable to a different port on the mobo for your SSD and see if that helps.

This honestly sounds like something in the bios is turned on like whatever MSI might call their version of fast boot settings. Look for stuff that talks about fast boot and turn it off to see if that changes anything. Might be under RAM or Memory tabs in the BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Made a new Megathread with updated OP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3970266&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post515365402

Changes are still in progress, specifically want to expand the troubleshooting and part/build recommendation areas, but all of the info is now relevant to current gen.

Please feel free to suggest recommended builds/parts to be added, or troubleshooting guides.