Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

General Battuta posted:

Don’t worry, unlike some of the Halos it’s never a chore to replay CE. Well, most of it.

I just did it the other day and gently caress the library and gently caress the sentinels.

Is there a discord for goon halo multiplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Discord for mouse/PC play, but it's not just for Goons. Everyone is really nice, though.

https://discord.com/invite/NnpkgjPJY9

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Jumping back in after some time, it seems to have a healthy population.

https://steamcharts.com/app/976730

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been back to do some more singleplayer playthroughs and I'm liking Halo 3 less and less each time I pick up the campaign. Levels like The Ark and The Covenant are still fantastic to play but the levels on Earth are all kinda boring and the Cortana interruptions are awful. ODST might be a glorified expansion pack but I'm surprised by how much better it plays than Halo 3, at least in my experience. And Halo 2 might be a horribly unbalanced mess and it has way too many elevators and gondola rides but it's still way more fun for me to play.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Halo 2 and Reach are my favorite campaigns, I feel like they're the most consistently fun. CE and 3 have great highs, but also pretty bad lows. ODST I've only played once but it seems like it has some pretty cool setpieces and fairly consistent. Not a huge fan of the semi open world between missions part though. 4 I think could be alright with a rebalance mod, there are some interesting missions scattered in there. I wish they'd bring 5 to the MCC, I only managed to play it through Xbox streaming and I think the campaign is a bit better than 4, it could really be improved with mods.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
1 and 2 have most of the Halo levels I like. Also the Library, Oracle and Sacred Icon, but yeah the highs are high. H3 has some really cool fights and the basic combat is solid, also love the art—visuals and sound both peaked there for Halo imo. But it’s a weirdly short game and doesn’t build up very well. They cut a number of planned levels from the middle of the game and you can tell.

And yeah the Cortana moments are heinous, who signed off on that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

skasion posted:

1 and 2 have most of the Halo levels I like. Also the Library, Oracle and Sacred Icon, but yeah the highs are high. H3 has some really cool fights and the basic combat is solid, also love the art—visuals and sound both peaked there for Halo imo. But it’s a weirdly short game and doesn’t build up very well. They cut a number of planned levels from the middle of the game and you can tell.

And yeah the Cortana moments are heinous, who signed off on that.

I know I've read about them before but where's a good place to read about the cut content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PriorMarcus posted:

I know I've read about them before but where's a good place to read about the cut content?

Halopedia has some good info under “Halo 3 cut content”. Also an early script which gives a better idea of how they wanted to structure stuff.

Basically, there was going to be a longer level inside the crashed ship at the end of Floodgate which got replaced by the short sequence in the finished game. Then there would be a long Forerunner themed level called “Guardian Forest” in between “The Ark” and “The Covenant”. The design style survives in the MP map “Guardian”. “The Covenant” is itself a combination of the planned air combat sequence from “Guardian Forest” with two planned levels, “Alpine” and “Forerunner City”. The level “Cortana” was made from geometry cut from the Flood ship level, which is why it doesn’t particularly resemble Halo 2’s High Charity despite being set there. They had this whole elaborate concept for it with a horde of Flood infested arbiter corpses in the mausoleum and a Cortana-controlled scarab, but none of it ever got made.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 26, 2024