Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Joe the Strummer posted:

Hahahahaha.

Cha-Ching!!!!!

I never played RA3. How much worse was Jenny McCarthy?

I didn't hate Kari Wuhrer Tanya but the same lines over and over again did get old.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Chew on this!

20€ isn't too bad for both games, their expansions, and multiplayer support. And Petroglyph are one of the few developers left, that I feel I can reasonably trust. Still, there's no real point in preordering, I don't see anything about the price being lowered before release?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
20usd is cheap. It won't go below that for a few years.

Not until ra2 and tibsun are remastered and released which is 1+ year away if this sells well enough.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The producer on the remaster did an AMA on Twitter. Here's the cliffs notes without the fluff:

• No LAN multiplayer at launch, but they know it's heavily requested. Ditto modding support beyond custom maps.
  • German version is uncensored, but uses the original German voice dub which still references robots and stuff.
  • Tiberian Dawn has been updated to include difficulty settings and a Skirmish mode.
  • AI is mostly the same, with a few bug fixes here and there.
  • You can switch freely between the old and new graphics in Campaign and Skirmish, but not in multiplayer.
  • The Steam release won't use the Origin client, but you'll need to sign into an EA account on first start. No additional DRM (Denuvo etc.) beyond the generic Steam/Origin stuff.
  • Unit functionality is the same as in the original games, so units that sucked back then still suck now.
  • Multiplayer is limited to four players in Tiberian Dawn due to the size and balance of the original maps. Red Alert still supports eight players.
  • Multiplayer now has spectators and replays, which will help with community tournaments and such.
  • Custom games let you set teams in any combination (7-on-1? Good luck.)
  • Several of the console-exclusive missions have been included, complete with their special units like the LASER ORCAS.
  • No word on Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2 - it's been ten years since EA last shipped an RTS, they're still shaking the rust off!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Kins posted:

The producer on the remaster did an AMA on Twitter. Here's the cliffs notes without the fluff:

• No word on Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2 - it's been ten years since EA last shipped an RTS, they're still shaking the rust off!

Oh man, a true to the original remaster of Dune 2/2000/Emperor wouldn't go amiss.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

THE BAR posted:

Oh man, a true to the original remaster of Dune 2/2000/Emperor wouldn't go amiss.

Was Dune 2000 done in the C&C1/Red Alert 1 engine? If it's basically just a total conversion mod and minor upgrade to C&C1 like RA1 was that makes it most likely to happen, I think.

If they still have a complete archive of the source of Emperor and it's engine then maybe they'd be able to do a rerelease of that with patches for modern system compatibility and resolutions and online multiplayer (although while the compatibility/resolution stuff would be pretty easy, inserting modern multiplayer systems to replace the original would be an actual task). But I doubt we'd see a full remaster with improved graphics. Maybe if they can remaster Dune 2000 they'll update Emperor and release them together as a bundle.

Dune 2 would probably just have to be build-from-scratch at this point. Unlikely, but it's a relatively simple game, so who knows.

Who knows, the upcoming movies might give them motivation to get something out there to capitalise, fingers crossed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 12, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
EA don't hold the Dune rights. Funcom do, however Petroglyph made a Conan game for funcom last year... perhaps an RTS could happen if they partner again.

Funcom have announced an MMO and a mobile game for Dune.

And I assume no modding the C&C remaster until Ra2 and Tibsun have been announced and released (if they do them) so fans don't beat them to the punch with a free total conversion mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

And I assume no modding the C&C remaster until Ra2 and Tibsun have been announced and released (if they do them) so fans don't beat them to the punch with a free total conversion mod.

I'm sure whatever mod tools we get wouldn't be able to do it. TD and RA1 are front-on grids, TS and RA2 are 45°.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 12, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm fairly sure Dune 2000 and Red Alert share engines, but I haven't decompiled to check.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

What about OpenRA? Those are technically mods.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Roluth posted:

What about OpenRA? Those are technically mods.

No, OpenRA's a scratch-built engine. It's also spun off into its own thing in a lot of ways, with different balance and gameplay mechanics and is being built with moddability in mind. Though even then, a lot of the big old mods and the up-and-coming Chinese ones are just sticking to RA2 with the Ares DLL.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The fact that OpenRA/C&C/Dune 2K went with a rock-paper-scissors balance system changes the feel of the games immensely.

I like that everything can kill anything, as long as you bring enough of it, in the originals.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Joe the Strummer posted:

Hahahahaha.

Cha-Ching!!!!!

How could you forget "Shake it baby!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Big news on the remaster: The game code for C&C1 and RA1 will be released as open-source under GPL3, allowing for full-force modding and for things like OpenRA and CnCNet to take advantage. Mods will support Steam Workshop for ease of installation.

Sadly, LAN play won't make it in at launch, due to it being kind of impossible to properly test during the current work-from-home situation.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Are the special editions of the game sold out everywhere? I was hoping to be able to buy a copy with the sound tracks. I guess if they don't restock before the 5th I can always hope for a sound track release :pray:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

freezepops posted:

Are the special editions of the game sold out everywhere? I was hoping to be able to buy a copy with the sound tracks. I guess if they don't restock before the 5th I can always hope for a sound track release :pray:

They were by Limited Run Games and were, literally, limited runs. I don't think they do re-runs. (I missed out on them too :( )

I'm hoping for a digital soundtrack release, I don't know if that's been mentioned anywhere. At minimum someone will rip the game files, I'm sure. I saw Frank Klepacki and the Tiberian Sons at Magfest last year and they were fantastic - I can't wait for the studio versions of their songs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The source code has been released. As suggested, it's been slightly altered to compile into a DLL for use in the Remastered game engine, but people are already working to make it run by itself using the original game assets, so Doom-style source ports are a very real possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77KqMqzO20

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Kins posted:

Doom-style source ports are a very real possibility.
Jesus H Christ I've wanted this for decades and now it's actually a thing that may very well happen.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

hannibal posted:

They were by Limited Run Games and were, literally, limited runs. I don't think they do re-runs. (I missed out on them too :( )

I'm hoping for a digital soundtrack release, I don't know if that's been mentioned anywhere. At minimum someone will rip the game files, I'm sure. I saw Frank Klepacki and the Tiberian Sons at Magfest last year and they were fantastic - I can't wait for the studio versions of their songs.

I actually have the RA OST ripped from the CD when EA released it back in 1996? 1997?. It was one of the first CDs I ripped. There is a link to the whole the album on Spotify here: https://www.frankklepacki.com/ost/vg/cnc-ra1

Also, I just finished playing the 1st mission from the remaster. The pre-intro video is a nice bit of nostalgia.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

So from what I've read so far, any modding has to be done through a bunch of separate .dll files, you can't just load up rules.ini in notepad as a one stop shop. Can anyone confirm this?

It's probably better from a modularity standpoint, but the simplicity of having everything that mattered in a single text file was really great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Bought this instantly, cannot wait to recreate my 13 year old times.

Pretty sure I played most of c&c1 with Are You Experienced? In the cd tray so have all of the game set to that as a backdrop.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If you didn't get a kick out of those faux-installation videos, you missed out in 1995/1996.

So far so good, it's basically the classics with a new paintjob and some minor GUI QoL improvements, but online works and HOLY poo poo THE TIBERIAN DAWN AI BUILDS BASES NOW.

Edit:
Made it crash by winning with style.

Never capture a Nod Airstrip if that's all they have left while the C17 Cargo Plane is still on the map.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 6, 2020

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Does the gameplay still hold up? I like the sound of the UI improvements, but I own them all on Origin

RE: the remaster

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 6, 2020

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
The remaster is fantastic. It's still C&C/RA - with a little modern control system, online multiplayer, and very nice graphics. It looks amazing on my ultrawide monitor.

If anyone wants the new music, there's a file called music.meg that you can open with this editor:

https://modtools.petrolution.net/tools/MegEditor

Gives you a bunch of wav files - original, remastered, and bonus music for both games.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I bought it (steam)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Bought this and started playing briefly today. It's been a long while since I plaued OG C&C or even RA1, I was always a RA2 and Tiberian Sun boy.

I forgot their was friendly fire... My grenadiers keep killing my infantrymen because, defying all logic, the grenadiers have a longer range then the infantrymen.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bought this and started playing briefly today. It's been a long while since I plaued OG C&C or even RA1, I was always a RA2 and Tiberian Sun boy.

I forgot their was friendly fire... My grenadiers keep killing my infantrymen because, defying all logic, the grenadiers have a longer range then the infantrymen.

They also explode on death so you shouldn't group them. These early missions where I have to rely on them are tough.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2122548319

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Here's a fun thing I stumbled across , Competitive Unit Tier Lists for Red Alert 2@3 with explanations and analysis for why their placed where they are.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUNGca8FdUxsRYI1awfluLqiXssAdUNpa