Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
we don't have okrs or kpis but we have something called wigs and no we did not hit them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Share Bear posted:

it depends

if there's a clear way that they'll be acknowledged and rewarded, or worked on should they come up short, absolutely. the process needs to allow for some flex.

if it's just "YOU MUST EXCEED THE GOALS YOU SET, OR SET DIFFICULT GOALS TO PUSH YOURSELF" and you get chewed out, then it's hosed up

i believe in general it will be used in the latter case and thus cannot be trusted.

but it can be useful if implemented correctly

if the business never changes priorities ya i guess they are alright

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

20 days to go and realistically a 50/50 shot of hitting goals

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

if the business never changes priorities ya i guess they are alright

the okrs are a contract set ahead of time, if the business goals change then the okrs are either irrelevant or must be explained for failing (ie we changed from a gourmet beef business to a pet food business) and that be appreciated

it all depends on how much flex the process has at your job, and i err towards it being used to punish people as i previously said

its not particularly novel just formalizing some sort of general goals thing in a way c levels can sell to people as being modern tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my annual review is coming up in a month and i don’t even remember any of my targets other than the one i failed 11 months ago already

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart simpson posted:

my annual review is coming up in a month and i don’t even remember any of my targets other than the one i failed 11 months ago already

sorry, we're going to have to dock your pay 5%

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

sorry, we're going to have to dock your pay 5%

funny enough, the boss actually submits annual raise and promotion recommendations now, one month before the review actually happens. they say that stuff depends on your review but it clearly doesn’t.

or i guess both of them just are whatever your boss was gonna do anyway

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

some people’s bonus depends on their target performance but mine is set in my contract as one months salary no matter what so i extra don’t care

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

same

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
they have instated okrs this year where i work and basically we sat down with my lead over some intranet tool to define a bunch of okrs at the beginning of the year and then proceeded to continue working exactly the same way we already were

dunno how it will last until it ends up like 360 reviews that we used to do where at the end some associate producers in adjacent teams would mail me bc they desperately needed someone to give feedback on one of their guys and I would either ignore it or only fill in the positive feedback bc gently caress pissing anonymously on other people

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I don’t know what mine were, didn’t know we had them, but apparently I met or exceeded them all :shrug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the trick is to set the bar real low...

like “show up to work in the morning”

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

the trick is to set the bar real low...

like “show up to work in the morning”

doesnt have to be 100% of the time tho

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Uh, I don't think so. When do the quarters start here again?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

not sure what a okr is but i keep getting my bonuses so I guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what idiot named it LinkedIn instead of OKRcupid

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
i met mine last time and then they abandonned okrs apparenlty

poty posted:

okr boomr

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I ate some okra this quarter, does that count?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the only year i ever hit my OKRs was at lehman brothers in 2008.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

we don't have okrs or kpis but we have something called wigs and no we did not hit them
has anyone referred to them as “wiggity wack” yet

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the only year i ever hit my OKRs was at lehman brothers in 2008.
this is going on your permanent record!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

has anyone referred to them as “wiggity wack” yet

no but when we revised the goal to be easier halfway through the year, i argued that we should get our game on track, not our wig pushed back

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no but when we revised the goal to be easier halfway through the year, i argued that we should get our game on track, not our wig pushed back

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jonny 290 posted:

has linkedin branded a baseball stadium yet??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

okrs? I’d hit that — McDonald’s

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
ours were discussed once a year ago and never mentioned again. this is in part due our manager never coming into the office and never saying anything in slack or sending the team emails.

said manager apparently spends most of her time juking the stats that she'll present to higher ups demonstrating that okrs were met.

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

said manager apparently spends most of her time juking the stats that she'll present to higher ups demonstrating that okrs were met.

queen

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we failed them all because our boss continues to set completely un hittable okrs every quarter even though we tell him it's impossible in excruciating detail

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bring solutions not problems.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

bring solutions not problems.

i think mumpsorceress would get fired and arrested if she brought a firearm to work though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The MUMPSorceress posted:

we failed them all because our boss continues to set completely un hittable okrs every quarter even though we tell him it's impossible in excruciating detail

sounds like you work at my girlfriends company, op

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

ours were discussed once a year ago and never mentioned again. this is in part due our manager never coming into the office and never saying anything in slack or sending the team emails.

sounds like the perfect boss

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what's an OKR

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bulgakov posted:

what's an OKR

it is a scheme for getting bonuses where you begin the year by writing "i'm going to reinvent chat apps" on a piece of paper, then in december you show the boss the paper and the shiny new chat app in the play store, get a bonus, and then deprecate the chat app so you can repeat the procedure next year.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a scheme for getting bonuses where you begin the year by writing "i'm going to reinvent chat apps" on a piece of paper, then in december you show the boss the paper and the shiny new chat app in the play store, get a bonus, and then deprecate the chat app so you can repeat the procedure next year.

lol somebody works for google

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Bulgakov posted:

what's an OKR

oklahoma rural, in comparison to oklahoma city (okc)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bulgakov posted:

what's an OKR

good fried along with some hush puppies

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
hit 'em? drat NEAR KILLED 'EM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU