Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Serf posted:

honestly i think the issue is that libs want their comedians to impart political opinions, and so transgressive comedy just doesn't fly because if you are trying to divine a political stance from it the comedian becomes a bad person

lib-poisoned people like that are also extremely willing to relinquish the entire rhetorical space of vulgarity to their political enemies

*stav_cackle_3.wav*

but that's cool what could go wrong with exclusively embracing traditionalist, conservative language

*stavbot: what? nooo gently caress no dude*

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lib-poisoned people like that are also extremely willing to relinquish the entire rhetorical space of vulgarity to their political enemies

*stav_cackle_3.wav*

but that's cool what could go wrong with exclusively embracing traditionalist, conservative language

*stavbot: what? nooo gently caress no dude*

Furthermore, why is anyone supposed to care about Ghostbusters? The theme song rules and all of the movies suck.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i do like that the fairly obvious thing of 'hey if someone is being ironically racist all the time they might actually also be racist' has mutated into this axiomatic thing where a significant number of people apparently dont believe that people are capable of saying anything they don't mean. like if a comedian says something offensive they must mean it, or if a fiction writer shows a character doing something bad and doesn't immediately have it be condemned they must be in favour of it.

its wild how in the span of a decade transgressive art has gone from being almost exclusively appreciated by the left to being considered regressive, and that people pretend that things haven't changed, so naturally if james gunn was making dead baby jokes in 2009 or w/e it's exactly the same as doing it in 2020 and should be treated as such.

what makes cum town work is that everyone on the show acknowledges that the jokes are offensive, and that's the funny part. the absurdity of how offensive it is. if they just treated stereotypes and poo poo as being the truth it wouldn't be funny, to them or to us.

then you see the wider cum town fanbase and its like 60% eurotrash nazis who are several irony levels and a language removed from the joke and just appreciate it on a racist level.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i do like that the fairly obvious thing of 'hey if someone is being ironically racist all the time they might actually also be racist' has mutated into this axiomatic thing where a significant number of people apparently dont believe that people are capable of saying anything they don't mean. like if a comedian says something offensive they must mean it, or if a fiction writer shows a character doing something bad and doesn't immediately have it be condemned they must be in favour of it.

This is a good summary that I have wanted to figure out the wording of for a while now. :tipshat:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the trifecta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxR18E5YSI

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm Mexican, and Mexican day laborer is my favorite bit. And the reason it's good is because from the accent and inflections, you can tell Nick was the kind of guy who used to work lovely slum jobs with Mexicans, and learned to do a pretty good impression of people he knows.

I'll take a dude who makes rude jokes about minorities he has actually interacted with over some woke bitch trying to tell me she and i have had similar experiences, because i got called a wetback last week, and her dad once said her hair was too short.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

I'll take a dude over some bitch
You gay bruh

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

i got called a wetback last week,
Thoughts and prayers

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One awesome thing about Cum Town is that getting mad at Nick Mullen for being successful and well-liked for his crass humor only makes him more powerful, and it’s something Twitter crybabies will never understand. You can’t cancel someone who refuses to be cancelled or answers to nobody, you’re just boosting his platform by being a hater.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Any even if you hypothetically say he actually does get canceled, what would happen to him personally?
  • Goes to live alone somewhere in a cabin
  • Resumes drinking
  • Is happier than he's even been in his entire life

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

One awesome thing about Cum Town is that getting mad at Nick Mullen for being successful and well-liked for his crass humor only makes him more powerful, and it’s something Twitter crybabies will never understand. You can’t cancel someone who refuses to be cancelled or answers to nobody, you’re just boosting his platform by being a hater.

He's like Patrice but alive and without the stand-up talent.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

They are both equals off the cuff though, pedophile ray romano is just as funny as patrice's breakdown of Independence Day

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senator Drinksalot posted:

They are both equals off the cuff though, pedophile ray romano is just as funny as patrice's breakdown of Independence Day

Listening to this now. It's pretty good. :tipshat:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

He can't be cancelled. He refuses to be cancelled. He's like a Gold's Gym membership.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

He can't be cancelled. He refuses to be cancelled. He's like a Gold's Gym membership.

Nick is exactly why centrist liberals are afraid of leftism. He doesn’t have to worry about bills and health insurance, he’s free to do whatever he wants creatively in his profession, and they can’t speak to his manager.

Shrill Twitter scolds cannot handle a world where they can’t threaten others’ livelihoods for the slightest infraction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He also thinks wrong but wants all the same things they want in terms of human rights, they don’t understand how someone can both want other people to be happy but retain the right to make fun of them.

It’s honestly something that I think of as “growing up in the North East” where making GBS threads on your friends and family is legitimately a cultural touchstone. If you really hate something, you don’t give it the time of day.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

He's like Patrice but alive and without the stand-up talent.
and having made it, kinda, i mean, patrice was never had a stable income like the patreon at least

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m not laughing at 7-inch man who lives in a pocket to get pulled out and sucked off because of the Day Laborer voice, but it adds to the experience.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This thread sucks, don't make another one or I will probate you.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

New cum town thread here, do not make any more in RGD.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912311