Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
gdansk for the memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Gigi Galli posted:

Good Ebening

now a great evening

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
"All you do is kick balls at each other!" - big mad guy on Sirius XM FC

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

De Gea didn't make a save all game ffs

Thanks but gently caress off now. Give it Deano

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Good Ebening

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1397673372595724294

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sandwolf posted:

I love keepers having to take pens gently caress yeah

lmfao

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Extremely good poo poo my dudes

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
These tough guys refuse to wear the ribbon medal.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

imagine being kane watching foyth get a trophy lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Finally the TV director can look for cuties in the crowd again, nature is healing

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Rio rubbing his hands.gif

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
ugh

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Good of BT to stick a clip of terry in the rain in their pre match stuff. Also a nice reminder that scholes is still comfortably the worst pundit on telly

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:discourse:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bape Culture posted:

G
O
O
D

E
B
E
N
I
N
G

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
code:
                   G

O           O           D          E

B         E      N          I

N          
               G

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Hmm a trophyless season for mancchester united? Good imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just watched the highlights. The Villareal goalie's pen :stare:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Love seeing super league legacy teams eat poo poo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

legit feeling a little bad for de gea now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

De Gea has been mentally checked out since the 2018 World Cup and I don't think last night will have helped much.

Sucks for him if that's the last thing he does in a United shirt but maybe he'll want to have saved literally a single attempt on goal all night.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

V. Illych L. posted:

legit feeling a little bad for de gea now

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/519046923689664512

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

*deep breath*

Bape Culture posted:

G
O
O
D

E
B
E
N
I
N
G

Gigi Galli posted:

code:
                   G

O           O           D          E

B         E      N          I

N          
               G

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I understand folks not wanting to bury De Gea because keepers aren't expected to score goals but they are expected to stop shots and, uh, he kinda sucked at that?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/TheSaItIsHere/status/1397677422531825672

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

rashford had one really bad miss, otherwise he wasn't terrible imo. he did a lot of decent counterplay and his distribution was generally pretty good

the guy who really didn't show up was fernandes, who got completely extinguished by villareal's defensive players. that reasserted man.utd's creativity problem and, combined with how shoddy they are at defending setpieces (especially without maguire), allowed villareal to soldier through by solid organising and sheer hard work. i think a lot of people are overreacting to this match tbh it didn't reveal anything about the team except that they're very reliant on fernandes and maguire, the former of which was well known

solskjær should probably also have made some substitutions before 98 minutes or whenever fred came on

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am no Scholes fan but technically he is right, United should have been hammering Spanish Burnley every time in this match on paper, there is no excuse for failure. I think if you fired Ole at half time they could've won it within the 90, tactically inept for sure.

That said I am glad United lost because of the joy it brought us all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tbh the entire team was poo poo. One dimensional. Lacked creativity and ideas beyond “pass it out wide and deliver a poo poo cross”. Played for penalties with all the wank rolling around and complaining to the ref instead of capitalising of spells of pressure. I don’t know what Mcrominay even does or how he gets a game. He stuck out as absolute trash among a big bin. I wanted them to win at the beginning but it was poo poo and cynical and I’m glad they lost in the funniest way possible.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Lindelof's a loving clown compared to mctominay, and there is the clown of clowns #pogboom, just sell him to the home for wayward clowns psg

#clownteam

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I am no Scholes fan but technically he is right, United should have been hammering Spanish Burnley every time in this match on paper, there is no excuse for failure. I think if you fired Ole at half time they could've won it within the 90, tactically inept for sure.

they did change things up in the second half and run that pretty well, but once they got into extra time villareal's fresher legs reasserted themselves enough to make sure that utd couldn't score, and then they started playing for penalties with a goal keeper notoriously bad at penalties

this must be said to have been a rather questionable decision

e,

yeah pogba should've been out at 60 minutes, he disappeared completely in the second half. i thought mctominay was pretty good throughout, worked very hard and won the corner that led to utd's goal from basically nothing. baily and lindelöf hosed up a lot and demonstrated just how badly man.utd needs reinforcement at centre back.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 28, 2021

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

V. Illych L. posted:

rashford had one really bad miss, otherwise he wasn't terrible imo. he did a lot of decent counterplay and his distribution was generally pretty good

I do have to disagree with this, sorry. Rashford had one moment in the first half where he did a flick/trick to cut inside a full back on the right wing and it looked magnificent, like the Marcus of old and it was great to see. However, otherwise, he was a shadow of the player he can be. Plenty of ball losses when on the left wing, especially in the first half, and he just looked bereft of confidence. As an armchair pundit, he really just looked like he needed a big rest.

The bigotry that he has experienced post match was just tragic though, and it's just upsetting to see footballer-for-avatar losers posting racist shite because of a kick about, albeit a slightly important one.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is very unfair imo, though I believe that's the narrative BT were pushing. I'm all for piling on United being poo poo, but Villarreal have been in the top flight for all but one of the last 20 seasons and finished in the top 4 a few times, including a 2nd place finish. Spanish slightly better than Everton would be a better comparison.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal were also completely inept against Villareal. It was bizarre how little they did in the second leg. Villareal had a good cup run.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's stupid to disrespect opponents in a cup competition for their league position. Remember when Wigan won the FA Cup against city :laugh: in their relegation season?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mickolution posted:

This is very unfair imo, though I believe that's the narrative BT were pushing. I'm all for piling on United being poo poo, but Villarreal have been in the top flight for all but one of the last 20 seasons and finished in the top 4 a few times, including a 2nd place finish. Spanish slightly better than Everton would be a better comparison.

This is true but under Emery they adapt a more Burnley like defensive tactical approach, even when winning old Unai loves a killer sub to concede the initiative on the hour mark.

Villareal deserved to beat Arsenal in the semi but it's no coincidence that it was another garbageman doing galaxy brained ideas like 'play a centre mid at left back instead of the winger who can play left back, then wonder why midfield is overrun'.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is true but under Emery they adapt a more Burnley like defensive tactical approach, even when winning old Unai loves a killer sub to concede the initiative on the hour mark.

Villareal deserved to beat Arsenal in the semi but it's no coincidence that it was another garbageman doing galaxy brained ideas like 'play a centre mid at left back instead of the winger who can play left back, then wonder why midfield is overrun'.

I'll take your word for that as I haven't watched La Liga in years and the final was the first game I think I'd seen Villareal play in a long time. My point was more how a lot of British media behaves when an English team is playing someone who isn't Real/Bayern/etc. They pointed out on Football Weekly that BT only had United pundits on with no opposing view at all.

On that note, can we agree that pundit "fans" are loving awful? Like, Neville and Carragher are good pundits, but the poo poo "banter" between them about Liverpool/United that then gets clipped and shared on Twitter or whatever is painful. Of course ex players will be biased, but it's been played up in recent years and is really tiresome.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Laserpig posted:

Rooney looked super inform tonight vs Bayer Leverkusen, he is still world class.

You can see the spring in his step now that he's back in his natural striker position, after being played as an attacking midfielder for the majority of last season... he's back to his old self, Rooney will be a force this season along with RVP and the rest of the team - United will be at the top of the prem with a couple of points to spare by November and Rooney will be the main reason for it.

We've been in more Champions League finals than any other team in the past 15 competitions, we've been in 4 finals, and we've won 2 of them... we've finished top of our group in 6 of our past 7 competitions and we'll finish top of this one too.

Of course - United being the team everybody loves to hate and under-rate (despite our evident success)... nobody is going to want to admit it, but you're going to see another Manchester United final in the 13/14 Champions League, Moyes is hungry, RVP is hungry, Rooney is hungry, what's for dinner? Munich sandwich?

Never forget

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Resurrecting this dead rear end thread to say lol spurs and someone make a Europa vanarama conference / assorted euro action thread that's not two seasons old

e: new thread

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2021