Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

surivdaoreht posted:

Hey folks,

I have a new to me solar setup in a cabin I purchased, and the batteries are inside. They’re two deep cycle marine batteries, flooded style. I’m worried about whether they should be outside, in case they put out dangerous gases.

I was thinking batterie box, but then I got to thinking about temperature issues in the various different temps we experience here (-40C ish all the way to plus 40c) thoughts?

The cabin is well insulated so I was wondering about seeing if I could vent the batteries where they are now and maybe build a small enclosure or something of the sort.

Appreciate any insights thanks

The only dangerous gas you have to worry about is hydrogen if the charging gets way out of control. With a competent charger on the batteries it's not an issue. Hydrogen is really only a problem in enclosed spaces. If the batteries are just sitting in the cabin, you're actually safer than if you were to build an enclosure for them. If you do end up building an enclosure, a small vent to outside would be fine, as long as the vent can't get clogged by bugs.

Lead Acid batteries do best at around 20C, and fully charged batteries freeze around -40, discharged batteries freeze near 0C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Can we talk about MPPT charge controllers in this thread? You know, the thing that goes between your solar panels and the batteries. I’m maxing out a 40amp one right now but I want to add more solar panels. I’m kind of eyeballing a half-off 100amp version on amazon warehouse deals.

Can you connect two charge controllers in parallel to the same battery bank? Like in my case for a total of 140amps? Or do they not play nice with each other? Each charge controller would have its own array of solar panels, but both would feed into the same battery bank. Is that do-able?

Sorry if this isn’t the thread for MPPT discussion. But I can’t find a better one and it seems relevant.