Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Mr Dick is very popular. In fact he posts here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm a literal preacher and I've only read one book of the Bible. Luckily its the one with whales so its the only one that matters

Reading Genesis and just replacing the snake with a whale knowing that my whaling parishioners will connect deeply with the message of today's reading.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ive replaced so many passages of the bible with whales at this point Im not even sure if my parishioners are Christian anymore

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ive replaced so many passages of the bible with whales at this point Im not even sure if my parishioners are Christian anymore

The church of Latter Day Whales.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's a video game called Nantucket and it's basically "Ishmael's Revenge" and you go after Moby Dick and kill him, lol.

It's next to impossible to actually kill him but lol that after 150 years video games killed the invincible great American novel whale.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

There once was a man from Nantucket...

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ahab is a biblical name and in the bible its name of a wicked king of Israel who along with his wife Jezebel abandons the worship of YHWH and institutes the government-supported worship of the pagan Gods Ba'al and Asherah and persecuting all of the Israelite prophets and priests during his reign. In the book itself, its actually pointed out by several characters that this is one of the weirdest names you could give someone because anyone familiar enough with the Bible to know the name Ahab would be someone religious enough to not name a child after him.

So no, its probably because of the Bible itself instead of Moby Dick

So its a good name for my pagan baby

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Moby Dick was good but could have been improved with more space marines.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gonna name my kid Ahab.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
To the contrary; I think it is overutilized due to the song entitled "I am Ahab" by the revolutionary band Mastodon, from their smash breakout album Leviathan.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SHISHKABOB posted:

Gonna name my kid Ahab.

And thus the tertiary goal of this thread is accomplished and OP can look upon the world with smug satisfaction.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Literally A Person posted:

And thus the tertiary goal of this thread is accomplished and OP can look upon the world with smug satisfaction.

Tanner Ahab SHISHKABOB

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Cubone posted:

that's stupid

Not really, Cubone. The book itself is a work of fiction.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

terminal chillness posted:

The book itself is a work of fiction.

Whoa whoa whoa...wait a minute. Really?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

There once was a man from Nantucket...

Go on, I've never heard the whole thing.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

terminal chillness posted:

Not really, Cubone. The book itself is a work of fiction.
right, so the idea that it's fictional within the context of being fiction adds nothing

"what if the entire story as it's presented was actually all imagined by a single character?" is an unfalsifiable, fruitless, juvenile hypothetical that gets wheeled out by hack critics to be applied to everything from hamlet to rugrats, because it's a teenager's idea of mind-blowing
as to what it would actually add to themes or emotional impact of any given story, the answer is almost always the same: nothing, because it relegates every significant arc and conflict to the imagination of a single character whom we know nothing about, and replaces them with nothing

the rare exceptions are when stories are told specifically with that reading in mind- your I Am the Cheeses, your Cloud Atlases, your House of Leaveses– because they're designed either to illustrate the particular state of mind of the character in question or they're meant to be a commentary on the nature of fiction itself

the rest of the time it's the literary equivalent of "dude, what if, like, you're actually just a brain in a jar, and what you perceive as reality is just signals being fed to you?"

what would it add to moby dick for it all to be the ramblings of a drunken deckhand? does it give us a better idea of who the narrator is, other than an imaginative liar? does it say anything about storytelling except that sometimes a story doesn't real :smug:?
all it does is take away from the meaning of everything that's actually in the story. it's stupid

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually Moby Dick is a story about the nearly hopeless fight against patriarchical white hegemony, represented by the whale. The diverse cast (featuring at least one amputee, a native American, and so on) give it their all to take down the whale and regrettably they lose. Ishmael survives however to keep the spark of rebellion promising a successful overthrow in the future.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I think the whale represents a whale.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Oscar Wild posted:

Moby Dick was good but could have been improved with more space marines.

what couldn't?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

VideoTapir posted:

what couldn't?

Warhammer 40k, ironically.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

I'm kind of surprised the underlying ultra-horniness throughout the book isn't more well-known and discussed; like you'd think it'd be ripe for fanfic and memeification nowadays. As someone above noted, you even have the narrator married in all but name to the ship's harpooner; there's a lot of other wild (by 1850s standards) poo poo like that in there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kazak posted:

So its a good name for my pagan baby

SHISHKABOB posted:

Gonna name my kid Ahab.

look like we're on the cusp of an Ahab Spring here

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

look like we're on the cusp of an Ahab Spring here