Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

clear eyes full farts posted:

SUVs are big cars, how do five people not fit comfortably in one

It's like induced demand from building new roads. You make a bigger car and Americans just grow to fill the available space.

Edit: What a lovely snipe ... uh, well, my in-laws visited for about a week, and while it was great that they managed to mostly successfully watch over our three- and one-year-olds, my MIL becomes visibly agitated if there's another human in the room and she is not speaking to them for over ten seconds. This leads to a lot of things that really drive me up the wall, like
  • Literally just being unable to be quiet for extended periods of time
  • Insisting on interrupting to provide input in all decisions being made, even if she has no perspective, expertise, or remit
  • Expressing every emotion she feels or perceives other people feel immediately ("Wow was it cold outside? That must have been cold. I bet you feel cold.")
  • Describing to other people what they just saw on the TV
  • Talking at the characters on TV if other watchers are not responding to the aforementioned narration
  • Repeating a statement ad infinitum when it would be obvious to most people she's simply being ignored instead of unheard
  • Talking non-stop with her mouth full at dinner, which makes me feel ill when I can feel her spittle landing on me
The talking with her mouth full was the only one that was really difficult for me to deal with, and so my poor 3yo son had to deal with me constantly, gently requesting he not talk with his mouth full, because that was my passive-aggressive release valve.

Thankfully this year went much better than previous years, presumably due to heroic amounts of CBD oil.

umbrage fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You must be at least *this* depressed to post in this thread.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
More pedantic whining alert:

My mom is now 58 and her night vision while driving has always been iffy.

Now, couple that with me asking her several times over the Long Island to Oswego road trip, it getting darker, no goddamn street lights from Cortland onward on the interstate or state rods until Fulton and her snapping at me when I tell her to do a safe 3 point turn in a well lit gas station instead of trying to do some insane dash across a double line road THAT SHE CAN BARELY SEE, and then getting snapped at again when I tell her to try and turn around somewhere safer that’s well lit, which took a colossal extra 5 min of a six goddamn hour drive.

Keep in mind we’re using our grandfathers new Subaru instead of her car (my former car), as that car was rear ended en route to JFK by some rear end in a top hat texting in a construction zone behind her and not looking and then just exchanging info instead of waiting for a cop to get official paperwork...yeah now Allstate is being real tichy with covering it as there was no police paperwork. Surprise, surprise.

I love my mom but I am not looking forward to her hitting her 60s like a ton of bricks.

E: my mom just got on my grandfathers case for parking too close to a pickup. He was not parked near the pickup.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 28, 2019

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

one more night and we have reached the point where we are all exasperated with each other's company. I want to go to bed early just to make tomorrow come sooner.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Steakandchips posted:

If you didn't want to be in that SUV, all you had to do was rent a car/get a taxi/get an uber.

??? Lol what is this privileged-rear end programmer galaxy brain poo poo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

umbrage posted:

It's like induced demand from building new roads. You make a bigger car and Americans just grow to fill the available space.

Edit: What a lovely snipe ... uh, well, my in-laws visited for about a week, and while it was great that they managed to mostly successfully watch over our three- and one-year-olds, my MIL becomes visibly agitated if there's another human in the room and she is not speaking to them for over ten seconds. This leads to a lot of things that really drive me up the wall, like
  • Literally just being unable to be quiet for extended periods of time
  • Insisting on interrupting to provide input in all decisions being made, even if she has no perspective, expertise, or remit
  • Expressing every emotion she feels or perceives other people feel immediately ("Wow was it cold outside? That must have been cold. I bet you feel cold.")
  • Describing to other people what they just saw on the TV
  • Talking at the characters on TV if other watchers are not responding to the aforementioned narration
  • Repeating a statement ad infinitum when it would be obvious to most people she's simply being ignored instead of unheard
  • Talking non-stop with her mouth full at dinner, which makes me feel ill when I can feel her spittle landing on me
The talking with her mouth full was the only one that was really difficult for me to deal with, and so my poor 3yo son had to deal with me constantly, gently requesting he not talk with his mouth full, because that was my passive-aggressive release valve.

Thankfully this year went much better than previous years, presumably due to heroic amounts of CBD oil.

For a second there, I wondered what the big deal was. Those behaviours don't seem out of line for a toddler. Then I realised whose behaviour you were complaining about.

To add my own bitching to the pile: I had to come in to work on the 24th, and don't get to go home until Jan 7. I work in marine search and rescue, and am not looking forward to the inevitable "flare sighting" calls on NYE. It will be fireworks. It's always fireworks. But you can't just blow it off, due to the extremely slim chance that someone might be in actual distress

Vvvvv yep. Bad time to be on the water around here in the first place. Thankfully most of the boaters in my area take one look out the window and nope right out. If even the trawlers are tied up, you know the weather is baaaaaaad.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

B33rChiller posted:

For a second there, I wondered what the big deal was. Those behaviours don't seem out of line for a toddler. Then I realised whose behaviour you were complaining about.

To add my own bitching to the pile: I had to come in to work on the 24th, and don't get to go home until Jan 7. I work in marine search and rescue, and am not looking forward to the inevitable "flare sighting" calls on NYE. It will be fireworks. It's always fireworks. But you can't just blow it off, due to the extremely slim chance that someone might be in actual distress

it would really really suck to be shipwrecked on new years eve

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I'm still not talking to my mother, I'm on the rag and I discovered my daughter and I both have ringworm. Happy Holidays, y'all!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This was our first Christmas since my mom died earlier this year.

It went...... surprisingly okay, I think. I succeeded in giving my dad more presents than he gave me, and he loved all of them. He also let me smoke our traditional Christmas standing rib roast dinner on the grill instead of cooking it in the oven like he has for the last 32+ years, and it came out amazing.

Overall a nice, relaxing Christmas at home that went about as good as it could have. Dad commented that he was impressed at how good it was. :unsmith:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Man, that sounds nice. I'm glad that worked out for you and yours.:gbsmith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dick wizard posted:

ngl.. sort of seems like it shouldn't have been a big deal to not want to cram into a single car. Probably rejecting an obvious solution to the problem because she wants to control everyone's ability to leave the party. Pretty loving despicable if you ask me.

So far TODAY for my in-laws...
I walked into my office this morning and my mother in law was in there measuring the walls because she wanted to go furniture shopping and do a makeover in a room that is exclusively used by me for work. Keep in mind, this is my house that I pay for and that is in my name.
When I told her that wasn't happening she started crying. I asked my wife how her mom planned to pay for furniture that I dont want/didnt ask for she said, "she thought I'd go with her and pay since you got a bonus this year." (luckily my wife would never do that)

Around lunch time I found her going through boxes in the garage. She said she wanted to see if any of it was okay to get rid of because her son (my brother-in-law) has some camping gear he needs to store, obviously shot that down as well to more tears and a protest of, "I already told him it was fine!"

She's also expressed a desire to buy a bigger bed for my daughters room so she has a more comfortable place to sleep when she comes over. Needless to say, this is going to be her last visit for at least a few months so she can re-align her expectations when over here. She's usually fine but loses herself and forgets that she's a guest here every year or two and has to be firmly reminded.

So your mother in law just wanders freely about your home rooting through your poo poo, specing out random rooms and creating storage areas for her sons things?

One of the good things to come out of my divorce is no more 7-9 hour drives in bumper to bumper traffic to Marietta, GA and a four or 5 day visit using my pto to get absolutely zero rest, relaxation or sleep. It loving sucked. My in laws and my ex would fill every waking hour with activities and tasks, many of which went way overboard and were unnecessary, then they'd complain about how tired they were and would i mind watching the baby while everyone else took a loving nap. I'm not all that into xmas beyond the days off and playing with my son's presents so I always came off as a grinchy grouch even though I tried to keep it together.

The house was quite big but their family room was very small and narrow so claustrophobia would set in, multiplied by keeping the heat way too high. My in laws would start becoming drunk later in the evening and my MiL was a real bitch to her husband, more so when they'd be drinking, telling him openly to "shut up", bossing him around and insulting him. I felt bad for him but he refused to stand up for himself so it made it worse and the whole family seemed to treat him like an after thought or a nuisance; almost like a non person. For some reason, this brought a similar dynamic with my wife and myself, except I am not one to not push back and sit there and take it so tensions would escalate. We even installed a "code word" that I'd use to let her know to ease up and back off.

After a few days, I'd get rather miserable and edgy. My wife had zero empathy for my fatigue, stress and anxiety - not understanding at all how anyone could dislike xmas or find any/all of this stressful. This year her parents came down here to her house and all I heard from her was bitching about them and how tired and stressed out she was and how much she hated the whole thing and blah blah blah so I don't even know but I'm glad I'm out of it. Her folks are republicans/FOX News types too.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Who What Now posted:

Also more people need to cut off all contact with their family

Done.
"No regrets" would be a lie.
Every now and then, a twinge of guilt.
But the overall net good/improvement of qol is worth it.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

So your mother in law just wanders freely about your home rooting through your poo poo, specing out random rooms and creating storage areas for her sons things?

Well I'd encourage any guest to wander freely about my home so long as they're not doing any of the other things.
When she left my wife told her she can't come back for a while because of the constant boundary crossing.
tbh I'd rather her only come stay once or twice a year and push boundaries to the point that she's temporarily banned while she re-learns how to be a normal person because if she could control herself at all, she'd be here monthly and I'd be the unreasonable one for complained about grandma visiting.
The real solution is just estranging this woman and having eternal domestic peace but short of her hurting the kids or something my wife would never do that.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

You must be at least *this* depressed to post in this thread.

Hell yeah mofo I'm fresh off probation and depresseder than ever

After enduring a lot of yelling with my sister over Xmas, I rolled into the town where I went to school for a while and what should I find but my friends living in filth at their house and everyone has "no money" and "major depressive disorder" and "quotes for emphasis". Seeing everyone here just makes me sad, and seeing my exes makes me sad and horny. Not great here

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Christmas itself was pretty good, my family was great, even the 12 hour trip to see extended family has been pretty nice, but one thing is bugging me:

I lost a close friend to an unexpected, sudden death earlier this year. His widowed wife got newly engaged on Christmas day. It's been like 9 months and she's engaged already, and even though I kind of parted ways with their family (I was never terribly close to the wife, but I always cared about his daughter), it's loving me up. It seems way too soon, and disrespectful to his kid and his memory, and the new guy is completely different from my friend.

I'm not going to say anything, or intervene, it's her life... but it just really bothers me, and I miss my friend and wish he weren't gone. He was only 34 and he died on his own before anyone got to say goodbye... we'd been arguing and hadn't talked in a month or two.

We also lost Grandma last year around Christmas, so this year was kind of healing, but still enveloped in a weird reminder of death. I just turned 30 too, which logically shouldn't be significant, but it is, and I feel like a lot of my thoughts and reality is surrounded by aging and death, so it's... interesting.

But I got that Super Monkey Ball remake for PS4, so uh, all in all, poo poo's pretty cash money. Thanks Santa.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Want to file a petty complaint about my boomer dad's morning routine of shuffling downstairs straining under his considerable bulk, then taking a horrible poo poo, the downstairs bathroom being for some godawful reason accessed by a sliding door at the entrance hall so if you want to go outside you have to smell his poo poo, then moving on to eating his dad breakfast like an animal, consuming bread and herrings while moaning as if he's either in pain or perverse pleasure, then reading the news on his chrome book looking like a compu-toon character:

But he's not a chud or anything and I've never thought about disowning my family thank you and god bless.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
"So how's work?"
"Fine. Nothing different than usual. Don't really want to talk about work."
[Five minutes pass]
"So, really, how's work?"

My inability to make even small talk with my parents (lest they get set off onto a Chud-Tangent) and their complete inability to tolerate a comfortable silence makes me feel extremely lucky to have a language barrier with my in-laws. I feel more comfortable around my in-laws then I have around my parents in over 15 years.

I also feel seen with the others who have folks which need to hold a screaming conversation over a television that's turned up way too loving loud. I'd make more distance between us but I'm too much of a coward and frankly we need all the free childcare we can get.

Since we're kvetching I'd also like to make a quick shout out to how boomers pay north of $80 a month for a cable subscription that's at least 1/3 advertisements piped into one's home in TYOOL 2019. The mind boggles.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I always forget how tense it is when any of my family gets together. Everyone is polite on the surface but they’re all just waiting to seize on something and turn it into the next big issue. Their favorite activity is gossiping about each other and other people I’ve never heard of, then gossiping about everyone else after they’ve left the room. It sounds so goddamn petty when I type it out like that, especially when I consider what everyone else might go through, but I always forget how mentally exhausting it is just keeping up appearances.

We were allowed to bring our new dog with us (it was far enough away and long enough that I didn’t really want to cage him up for that long) and he was by far the best behaved one there. Best dressed too since my wife bought him a bow tie just for the holiday. Then after a couple hours when he lost interest in the toy we brought with it was a super convenient “oh look, he’s starting to get restless, we’ll get him out of your hair” and left.

I’m not doing anything for new year so I’m just gonna get drunk on cheap wine.

Goons, I hope you’re all doing well. And if not, I hope you can get well soon.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Im having a good time with my family but for some reason we're going out to eat with a church-going couple 90% of us dislike, thats dumb

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

spouse posted:

Christmas itself was pretty good, my family was great, even the 12 hour trip to see extended family has been pretty nice, but one thing is bugging me:

I lost a close friend to an unexpected, sudden death earlier this year. His widowed wife got newly engaged on Christmas day. It's been like 9 months and she's engaged already, and even though I kind of parted ways with their family (I was never terribly close to the wife, but I always cared about his daughter), it's loving me up. It seems way too soon, and disrespectful to his kid and his memory, and the new guy is completely different from my friend.

I'm not going to say anything, or intervene, it's her life... but it just really bothers me, and I miss my friend and wish he weren't gone. He was only 34 and he died on his own before anyone got to say goodbye... we'd been arguing and hadn't talked in a month or two.

We also lost Grandma last year around Christmas, so this year was kind of healing, but still enveloped in a weird reminder of death. I just turned 30 too, which logically shouldn't be significant, but it is, and I feel like a lot of my thoughts and reality is surrounded by aging and death, so it's... interesting.

But I got that Super Monkey Ball remake for PS4, so uh, all in all, poo poo's pretty cash money. Thanks Santa.

it's good that you didn't say anything, because this is just your grief loving with you. you have zero basis to be upset with her.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

Since we're kvetching I'd also like to make a quick shout out to how boomers pay north of $80 a month for a cable subscription that's at least 1/3 advertisements piped into one's home in TYOOL 2019. The mind boggles.

That reminds me about something that happened during our family Christmas get together. Mrs Frogge and I haven't watched TV that isn't streaming in years and we ad-block our internet, so my grandma getting my whole family talking about broadcast tv ads they'd seen and comparing their favorites all excited like was surreal as hell.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

spouse posted:

She was probably cheating on your friend anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it's good that you didn't say anything, because this is just your grief loving with you. you have zero basis to be upset with her.

No disagreements here. I'm just upset about him and the news of her engagement just dragged up a little more grief, not really mad at her for anything. She didn't do anything wrong, I just miss my buddy :shrug: