Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been thinking about starting up a Blog as a way to (hopefully) increase the amount of traffic that my website gets.

Some background info: I currently work full time in the security field (physical security, not the computer kind) and I also run my own business on the side, doing security training. I've heard from a few different sources that having a Blog can improve traffic to a website, which would help get more eyes on my business. I think that writing a weekly or bi-weekly article is something that I'd be able to do without too much difficulty. All through school, English was one of my best subjects, especially when it came to writing about a topic that I was interested in. I've been working in this field for 16 years, and I can honestly say that I'm good at what I do. I've been training other guys at work for years, before I started my own side business, and I think that I would have plenty to offer, content-wise. So, I'm basically left with where to start.

I already have a website for my business, so I have a spot to host my content. I'm just unsure of how to get the ball rolling. I thought of doing an introductory piece first, just laying out my background and what I'll be writing about. From there, I'd just post once a week or so? In terms of length, I was thinking roughly 5 minutes worth of reading content per post? Too long, and people will tune out, I figure. Between advice, anecdotes, training information, funny stories, industry trends, etc, I feel that I would be able to keep generating unique content for quite some time.

I would love to read any tips or advice that might guide me in the right direction with getting things off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
How active are you on social media? That might be a decent way to start to do some microblogging, build some connections then refer people to your site.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

sticksy posted:

How active are you on social media? That might be a decent way to start to do some microblogging, build some connections then refer people to your site.

Thanks for the reply. We have a Facebook and Instagram page that gets updated regularly. I try to do things that are a little more creative then just "Here's our next class, sign up now!" kind of stuff.
I'll scroll through other profiles and comment on security related stuff, or offer my input on topics that are being discussed. Hasn't really translated into a lot of incoming web traffic.
I tried using Twitter to spread the word and interact with people, but it didn't really go anywhere.

I'm hoping that a blog will be something that will give me the best results for the time invested. Since I work full time, writing up a short blog is something that I could bang out in a half hour on the weekend, and still feel like it would contribute something, vs spending the time cold-calling security companies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We've had some success with this model. It doesn't really generate leads but it does seem to help keep prospects interested enough to engage with us. That is to say, nobody randomly stumbles across the blog and walks in out of the blue, but pointing people to the blog seems more successful than just telling them to call or look at the static website.

Having frequent, short blog posts seems to be the way to go. 5 minutes is honestly probably on the longer side and should be reserved for particularly interesting or important topics. You probably should shoot for 300-600 words for most posts. Even that is starting to get into skimming length for most people.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I can't personally attest to any of these but I get a couple of email newsletters from HubSpot about various Sales/Marketing/SMB best practices and they just posted this one that might be of value or at least trying a few of them once you do get the blog up-and-running:

25 Widgets, Plugins, and Add-Ons to Enhance Your Blog's Performance