Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Withnail and I
Bruce Robinson (1987)

Withnail and I is a hidden treasure. I hadn't heard of the film until two years back when a friend of mine caught part of it at a friends house before insisting we watch it together blind. Am I ever glad we did.

It's an insanely quotable period piece about two out of work actors at the end of the 60s. Though made almost twenty years later, the filmmaking makes it feel genuinely from the era. While on holiday by mistake, Withnail and 'I' interact with an unforgettable cast of side characters like strung out Danny the drug dealer (played by Ralph Brown, who basically does the same character again in Wayne's World 2), the flamboyant Uncle Monty, and one rather surly poacher. The film is pretty well aimless slice-of-life until about two thirds in, when...well I've leave that up to the viewers.

There's an amazing soundtrack with both original compositions and classics from The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. The former is hardly surprising because George Harrison was an executive producer on the film, the but the latter is apparently why Jimi's music didn't see much use in film for the longest time.

The reason I bring the movie up is because it has a lot of themes of change, both social and personal. It also reminds me a bit of The Lighthouse, which I just watched - though despite superficial similarities the movies take different paths. Despite a mostly comedic tone it's pretty bleak but not as bleak as a deleted ending where Withnail kills himself. But if you enjoy a good English romp that doesn't go anywhere, this is your movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I demand to have some booze!

Segue
May 23, 2007

A local indie theatre here in Toronto does an annual New Year screening as "the only place more desolate than wintry January in Toronto: Withnail and I".

I've never seen it but I blind bought tickets for a bunch of friends because it looks like absolutely my thing and I love forcing my friends to watch weird poo poo. Will report back in a week!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Of course he's the loving farmer!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Withnail reciting the "What a piece of work is a man" speech at the end is some of my favorite screen acting ever

Segue
May 23, 2007

So I just wanted to report back that this movie hit me and my friends hard while also being insanely funny.

It does an amazing job of capturing that middle class white male louche self-destructiveness where you can make poor decisions for the longest time that only becomes horrifying in those who don't move on from it. It felt timeless and yet very of a time. It could have been filmed in 2009 when we were in our early 20s.

The performances and script are amazing, the music slaps, and it is ridiculously quotable. Even the Uncle Monty bits have aged quite well with him coming off more as an abusive man of power than the homophobic stereotype I was warned about.

It's a really enioyable movie that captures a very specific vibe of friendship.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

You gotta do the drinking game where you drink along with the characters throughout the film. (I've heard Everclear suggested as an alternative to lighter fluid)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

TrixRabbi posted:

You gotta do the drinking game where you drink along with the characters throughout the film. (I've heard Everclear suggested as an alternative to lighter fluid)

"nine and a half glasses of red wine, half a pint of cider, one shot of lighter fluid, two and a half shots of gin, six glasses of sherry, thirteen glasses of whisky and half a pint of ale"

good god man wouldn't that kill you?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

"nine and a half glasses of red wine, half a pint of cider, one shot of lighter fluid, two and a half shots of gin, six glasses of sherry, thirteen glasses of whisky and half a pint of ale"

good god man wouldn't that kill you?

You'll miss out on Monday but come up smiling Tuesday morning.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Withnail reciting the "What a piece of work is a man" speech at the end is some of my favorite screen acting ever
:agreed: It's amazing.

It's an all round incredible film, Withnail's 180 from bravado to abject cowardice in the pub is also one of my favourite film moments. Richard E Grant gives a real masterclass througout tbh :v:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
This is my favourite movie of all time. Every time you watch it you relate to it in a different way based on how old you are.

I was Withnail at uni and became I later on. I'm going to watch it tonight and realise I've turned into Uncle Monty! :cry:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I've never seen the movie but I've seen the DVD (or vhs?) cover thousands of times for some reason. I feel like it was just always there when i was video shopping in the late 90s.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
There must and shall be aspirin

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So fun fact,

Danny the Drug Dealer's actor, Ralph Brown, is the "THERE'S THE BLOCKADE" guy in The Phantom Menace:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

David Fincher tried to get Richard E Grant for Alien 3 so he could have a Withnail & I reunion on the set but he was unavailable. He did get McGann and Brown though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Love this movie.
I remember Channel 4 in the UK doing a W&I night and I sat up watching it all.

GET IN THE BACK OF THE VAN

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

happyhippy posted:

Christ that guy is great lol

related :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGc7KcvqtE

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Love this movie.
I remember Channel 4 in the UK doing a W&I night and I sat up watching it all.

I think you'll find it's pronounced "GETINTHEBACK'OTHEVAN!!!!!!!!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My favourite story is that because REG is teetotal, and had never drunk before at all, Bruce Robinson had to get him drunk one night before filming started. It was so that he could have the ‘chemical memory’ of what being drunk, and the resultant hangover, actually felt like.

We want the finest wines available to humanity!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

My favourite story is that because REG is teetotal, and had never drunk before at all...
You're making GBS threads me...

... uh, seems not

Wikipedia posted:

Grant is a teetotaller. His body has an intolerance of alcohol, having no enzymes in the blood to metabolise it. If he does drink alcohol, he can keep it down for 10 minutes and is then violently sick for 24 hours afterward
:stare:

The_Doctor posted:

...Bruce Robinson had to get him drunk one night before filming started. It was so that he could have the ‘chemical memory’ of what being drunk, and the resultant hangover, actually felt like.

Wikipedia posted:

After casting him as the alcoholic Withnail, director Bruce Robinson made Grant drink a bottle of champagne and half a bottle of vodka during the course of a night so that he had experienced the sensation of being drunk.
:catstare:

Imagine the size of his balls. Imagine getting into a fight with the fucker!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:agreed:

Spoilers: https://youtu.be/yif5TIzaPYU

If there's any negative to the film perhaps it's the gay panic subplot. Perhaps it's period appropriate that Withnail and the 'I' character would act in that way, but the film never really challenges them, if anything it doubles down with Monty character being so relentlessly predatory

"I mean to have you even if it must be burglary"

Segue
May 23, 2007

The Monty subplot was actually a lot better than I expected since he's played in a very Weinstein-esque sexual predator way using his wealth and power over the characters rather than an "eww gay" way. Robinson's inspiration from Zeffirelli's creepiness really nails that sort of predation.

And it's shown to be a product of Withnail lying his rear end off too, making Monty think the other character is available.

I mean yes it's a bit uncomfortable at times but for a product of its time it holds up remarkably well.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's really interesting you mention that, because Monty was all I could think about when the Kevin Spacey thing came to light, especially with how he tried to shield himself from accusations in an awkward coming out tweet.

Being in isolation sure leaves me waking up every morning feeling like the start of this movie!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

The Golden Gael posted:

It's really interesting you mention that, because Monty was all I could think about when the Kevin Spacey thing came to light, especially with how he tried to shield himself from accusations in an awkward coming out tweet.

Being in isolation sure leaves me waking up every morning feeling like the start of this movie!

quote:

We've gone on holiday by mistake.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I watched this once when I was in university and thought it was over-hyped garbage

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Visible Stink posted:

I watched this once when I was in university and thought it was over-hyped garbage

quote:

These are the sort of windows faces look in at!

Edit: removed a pic.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 9, 2020

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Visible Stink posted:

Cool!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Cable Guy posted:

I demand to have some booze!

Liar! You've got anti-freeze!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
A double bill of this and Naked would be a good night for an alcohol induced coma

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

A double bill of this and Naked would be a good night for an alcohol induced coma

Make a drinking game out of taking a shot every time alcohol is consumed on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Vincent posted:

Make a drinking game out of taking a shot every time alcohol is consumed on screen.

The Withnail & I drinking game I've seen looks sort of lethal (matching them drink for drink exactly)

• Mouthful of red wine
• "Lighter fluid" (eg overproof rum)
• Double gin
• Finger of cider (with ice)
• Glass of sherry
• Two big chugs of sherry
• Mouthful of sherry
• Sip of sherry
• Double whisky
• Mouthful of whisky